“Love coming back”
Review of Park Hyatt Hamburg

Park Hyatt Hamburg
Ranked #4 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

I just stayed here 3 times during Aug and Sep. we had requested smoking rooms for each stay and early checkin on 2 of the reservations. The first time we arrived early, the room was not ready. The front desk called housekeeping to expedite our room for us which we appreciated. We had one of the smaller rooms that some people on here have complained about. People must remember that this is Europe and smaller rooms than north america are the norm. That being said upon the next checkin we were told we had a nice room. Well yes it was and it was considerably larger with really high ceilings. Prior to coming back for the third and final time we had requested via email a similar room again and an early checkin. When we checked in we were given the same exact room. We were extremely pleased and the fact that we were able to do so early. We love this hotel and always look forward to staying here. It is very comfortable and all of the staff are extremely friendly and courteous. We always feel welcomed and comfortable here. I really want to thank Robet K for doing what he could for our Sep 9th checkin. I wrote back and thanked him for making the arrangements he did. See you next year!

• Stayed: September 2013
Tashi_Takang, General Manager at Park Hyatt Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you so much for such extensive feedback and the great amount of time you have taken to share your experience of your stay at Park Hyatt Hamburg!

I was very pleased to read that you had a wonderful time during your stay with us. Our staff members work daily with great dedication to make every guest’s stay a special one. I am happy that your expectations could be met and that we could make your stay a special one. Please be assured that I will share your kind words of appreciation with my colleagues. Your comments the basis for their motivation and your kind words will encourage them to keep on giving their very best.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

A wonderful place to stay! I've stayed in a few top-end hotels, such as the Ritz, London, but the Park Hyatt Hamburg is the best! All members of staff are highly attentive to guests' needs and have a personal approach - the receptionist would always address me by name... goodness knows how she remembered?! The hotel is superbly decorated and, although situated on Hamburg's main shopping street, it is discretely tucked away and provides a quiet and restful retreat. The rooms are very large, tastefully decorated with queen beds and wonderfully fitted bathrooms. The best hotel I've ever stayed in, serving the best club sandwich on Planet Earth!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for your very positive feedback. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would personally like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience of your last stay at Park Hyatt Hamburg. Thank you very much for your kind words about our staff as well as the location of our hotel. I'm also glad to hear you like our club sandwich very much.

Thank you once again for the great amount of time you have taken to share your kind words of appreciation.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed 4 nights here. In a well located, beautiful, historic building, the Park Hyatt Hamburg is a first class place to stay. Service is impeccable, yet understated. All staff members were excellent, but particular mention should be made of the people on the Concierge desk who went out of their way to answer our queries and fulfill our requests.
The exit to Monckebergstrasse, through Levantehaus Arcade, leads right into the action and easy access to buses, the UBahn and the main railway station. Take time to explore the arcade too.
Apples restaurant is delightful, with excellent food and service. We had breakfast there each morning, and dinner one evening.
If you are going to be in Hamburg for 3 or 4 nights, or have plans to also visit Berlin, Cologne, Dusseldorf, Mainz or Warsaw, consider joining the Gourmet Club which offers 1 free night, reduced rooms rates on 6 other nights and 50% discount on the restaurant costs. You may have to search the website to find the link but it is worth it and you will easily recoup your initial outlay of Euro 235.
By far the most relaxing and best hotel we have ever stayed in, the Park Hyatt made our stay in Hamburg memorable.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Bugenhagenstrasse are very quiet
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for having taken so much of your valuable time to post your comments about your recent stay at Park Hyatt Hamburg. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. In particular, thank you for your lovely comments about our Concierge team, it will be a great pleasure to share your kind words with them.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

We love to treat ouselves with a massage from time to time and so we tried the spa in the hyatt hotel. The location of the hotel is not too good, its very central so that is great for tourists but the are sourrounding the hotel is not too good,the street moenckebergstrasse is full of cheap stores and many many people walk up and down there which results in a quite dirty area. The nice part of hamburgs city centre is only 10 min walk away ! The spa is good, it was a nice massage rather strong but since I had slept bad the night before and had some back pain It was peerfect for the situation. The massuse had a rather medical approach and was definitely very professional. The spa area is nice, not over the top but its very clean, smells nice and has a relaxing effect on you. I did not notice the use of any special brands so maybe my massuse just didn't explain it to me or they don't work with a lot of different brands that you could choose from. However the massage left my back without pain and my skin glowing and with a nice smell. It is definitely about the quality of the massage here more than the pampering around it, which is good. Because in the end of the day for me its the massage that matters !

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share the experience of your stay at Park Hyatt Hamburg. I was pleased to read you had a relaxing time at our wellness area Club Olympus Spa&Fitness and enjoyed your massage very much.

I regret you did not like to location of our hotel, but nevertheless we hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I may sound snobby telling about this hotel which is regarded highly by so many. I was disappointed and would not recommend this hotel at all. The price we paid was quite high (280E p/night) and for this we received a room with an unusually small and uncomfortable queen's bad, around 1.50m (or less ?!) I believe, very cramped for a couple. The TV had a very small screen, difficult to watch from the end of the room. In general, the room has quite basic amenities. The breakfast was also very mediocre with really bad coffee (we tried different versions - nothing helped to improve the taste). The service was also less than passable, what's the deal with this concierge service that hotels keep pushing on us ? Here flimsy looking guys trying their utmost to get a tip, and when we actually did need their advice - were not particularly knowledgeable. Other than that, the hotel is located in a shopping mall, and is located on the main shopping street of Hamburg. This is just information visitors should be aware about, not expecting any sense of relaxation. People can have a different opinion but I am not coming back to this place, that's for sure.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EWAWA
Tashi_Takang, General Manager at Park Hyatt Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Firstly, I want to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at Park Hyatt Hamburg. I regret very much that you were not satisfied with your stay at our hotel.
Regarding quality of the coffee that you experienced at breakfast as well as the concierge service, I apologize most sincerely that we did not meet the high standards of service in these areas that you quite rightly expected to find at Park Hyatt Hamburg. I have addressed each point individually with the relevant managers in order that corrective action can be taken immediately.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Park Hyatt Hamburg thus having the chance to display that we can live up to your expectations.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Many reviews here focus on the staff, the service and the cleanliness of the property, which are of the standard you would expect. Our experience of the hotel fell short of five stars, bore no relation to any Hyatt property I have ever been to and left us questioning if this really is the number one hotel in Hamburg?

Rooms are outdated, dowdy and not overly large. Our room was probably around 45sqm but over half of the room was occupied by the bathroom and the vestibule leaving little habitable space and made claustrophobic by a sloping ceiling. There was a desk and work chair (all a bit mid 80s) but otherwise nowhere to sit, which for a room in this brand and at this cost is frankly pathetic. There is a basic kettle, some tea bags and sachets of coffee but no coffee machine, which again, is not what you would expect for a hotel of this calibre.

Our disappointment at the room we were given was made deeper as I booked the hotel expecting some form of upgrade with Hyatt Elite status but this was not acknowledged at check in or at any point of our stay.

The pool is good but again, my personal experience was marred by unsupervised children playing in the pool at 10.30pm on my first night and being told by a fellow guest that there was 'no sport swimming' the following morning as I tried to vent my frustrations with the hotel through a few lengths of front crawl.... (ok I accept unruly children and grumpy guests aren't the hotel's fault but unsupervised kids in the pool at 10.30pm? Really?)

The Club room is reasonable but again lacks any wow or real feeling of welcome. The food is of a good quality but feels a bit too healthy quite frankly. The lounge is open to the elevator lobby so doesn't feel private, just a bit exposed and corporate. The food is of a good quality but all feels a bit too healthy, there's nothing that makes you feel like you are having a 'treat'. Like the hotel generally it was all good quality but a bit soulless and joyless.

I did question why we hadn't received an upgrade and was assured something would be sorted out but that was the last I heard. I also raised concerns at check out about a number of other issues too tedious to go into here and again, despite knowing nods and understanding smiles no real action was taken other than the usual 'next time it will be better". I can guarantee there will not be a next time.

I booked this hotel based on other Park Hyatt experiences, brand loyalty and for the Club Lounge and PH Hamburg performed poorly against all these criteria.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller73London

Dear TripAdvisor User,

I have carefully read all your comments and I’m very sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations.

We take the feedback of our guests very seriously – not only through TripAdvisor, but from every single guest comment, and assure you that we will work on these points.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Paid the price to stay at the Park Hyatt in Hamburg on my travels and have to stay it was worth every penny. Having stayed at many hotels around the world this is one of the best. The staff, the location, the rooms, the swimming pool and the room service are all second to none.
I arrived early and had to wait an hour for my room but once I got into the room it was easy to see how this hotel has 5 stars. The double room was huge with a terrace and all the amenities you expect e.g. Iron, Umbrella, Mini-bar, MP3 Player.

The hotel was fully booked during my stay but you really couldn't tell, it never once felt like it was too busy. Annoyingly you had to take two separate lifts from your room to the exit, however this added to character of the hotel and gave it more of a luxurious feel. Very pleased with my stay and will definitely be visiting again.

Room Tip: Book a double room with an outdoor terrace, you won't regret it!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear TripAdvisor User,

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.