Park Hyatt Hamburg
US$110
US$162
  • Restaurant
Ibis Budget Hamburg City(Hamburg)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$96
NH Hotels
US$85
2,628 results
All reviewsapples restaurantthe club loungeshopping arcadel'occitane toiletriesclub olympusking roomconcierge deskexcellent hotelother star hotelsrain showertrain stationrooms are spaciousthe location is perfecthotel is centrally locatedthe ground floorbreakfast buffet isbeautiful city
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The hotel is located magnificently, no doubt. Hotel staff is going the extra mile to make your stay feel just great are helpful and interested. We used a diamond GP upgrade and got a wonderful large room and a great bathroom, The view was to the 'atrium' which is nothing special but very quiet though. The club floor seemed accessible for all guest and was good, although it lacked sufficient comfortable seating. (Unusual for a Park Hyatt to have a club actually.)
The interior is fine and of course depends on your personal taste but for sure all was maintained very well...ok in the German way meaning ALL is good.
The pool-, sauna-, Steambath- and fitness area are also very nice and it was never busy.

The breakfast was outstanding. We had one lunch in the bar lounge of Apples, food was great but had a negative experience with the waiter. But as usual, i never find this forum the place to address it into detail and will do so with the hotel directly. All in all, a good choice where not much can go wrong!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Tashi_Takang, General Manager at Park Hyatt Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share the experience of your stay at Park Hyatt Hamburg. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit at our hotel and I was delighted that you liked our club floor and our spa. I would like to apologize most sincerely for the unpleasant experience you had with one of our service employees at breakfast.

I regret that you did not have the perfect service experience that you quite rightly expected to find at Park Hyatt Hamburg.

We look forward to your next visit with us at Park Hyatt Hamburg.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have stayed here twice in the past year, once in June 2013 and once in October 2013. During those stays, I have stayed in everything from a basic room to a suite. My most recent stay in October was four days in a Junior Suite. Having travelled extensively to Hamburg I believe that this is the most consistently excellent luxury hotel in the City. That does not necessarily mean it is the most luxurious or opulent but I feel it provides the best overall level of service and luxury, particularly for the price offered. The only exception to this has been laughably poor club service during both my stays. I cannot in good conscience recommend that anyone pay the 50-60 Euro supplement to access the club. I can enthusiastically recommend breakfast in Apples restaurant, which is a far better value than the club supplement. Details about the hotel and my stays follow:

The hotel is situated about five minutes walk from Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (Central Station) in a commercial district. The hotel itself borders a pedestrian shopping street on one side with a series of upscale boutiques and shops as well as all manner of basic services. It a two minute walk to banks, pharmacies, department stores, etc. For convenience and access to services, the Park Hyatt is the best. For those taking cruise ships it is about a 10-15 minute drive to the main Hamburg City cruise terminal.

The layout of the hotel is a bit unique and will appeal to some guests and perhaps turn others off. You can enter from the pedestrian side by walking through a small shopping complex and through a separate set of doors into the ground floor of the hotel. Travelers by car enter from a separate street where taxis and other vehicles have access. On the ground floor is a small seating area as well as the bell stand and concierge desk. Guests wishing to use the spa go to the hotel elevators and go to the basement (-1) level. Guests wishing to check in must take the elevators one floor up to the first floor where the central reception area is. A separate set of glass elevators are about 20-30 feet away and have access to the guest floors. That means there is no direct access to the guest floors from the ground level and the reception desk sits on a different floor than the concierge desk. It is a bit of an odd system because frequently I was trying to arrange something at the front desk and would have liked to speak to the concierge but couldn't do that without walking another 20-30 feet and descending a separate set of elevators. That is not to say that the concierges were either unavailable or unhelpful as Jan and his colleagues always provided me with excellent service when asked.

The decor of the hotel is a mix of elements melding industrial design, hints of art deco, and a bit of Asian influence. So you see a lot of exposed iron work, with light colors and pale wood. I find it quite enjoyable to walk around. The light color palette and hints of wood might be a bit bland for some travelers but I actually find them to be peaceful. A few negative reviews have mentioned signs of wear or fading in the hotel. On my last visit in October I looked carefully at all of the carpets, fabrics, furniture in the room and lobby, etc. I found absolutely no evidence of wear and tear as everything seemed in good working order and was spotless. I think the light palette sometimes gives a washed out look, which can appear to be worn but I think close inspection will show this is just an optical illusion.

Basic rooms are well appointed however have no sitting area. I stayed in a queen room that was very, very small, if I had been paying 250 or 300 Euros a night for this room I might have been a little disappointed. Yet, on another stay I stayed for a few hours in a basic room that had double high ceilings, massive floor-to-ceiling windows and a comfortable arm chair. It also probably had 40% more space. Therefore selecting the right basic room is probably more important here than in other hotels. "Deluxe Rooms" (60 Euro supplement) offer a comfortable sitting area and many of them have the aforementioned double high ceilings. I greatly enjoy having the sitting area so I normally opt for the Club Deluxe King rooms, but other travelers might prefer to have the 60 Euros to explore Hamburg. Suites are well appointed and consistent with what I would expect from this level of hotel.

The staff was some of the most friendly and professional with which I have dealt anywhere in the world. Bellman were readily available and helpful, front desk staff always greeted me by name when entering and leaving the hotel, housekeepers were discreet, professional, and friendly, and service in Apples restaurant for breakfast was excellent as well as evening drinks. Whether dealing with routine requests or a few small problems that cropped up during my stay they were helpful, friendly, seemed genuinely interested in my feedback, and normally resolved issues quickly. I will outline a few of the small issues that occurred during my stay and discuss my only real complaint about the hotel, which is the very poor club experience.

During my first stay in June, a few small problems occurred in my room. There was a small electrical problem with the cabinet that holds the electrical outlets and data ports and the air conditioning in my room was abnormally weak. An assistant manager quickly arrived, asked if I would like to switch rooms had me in a new room in about 10 minutes and when I returned to my room later that evening, I found a handwritten note apologizing for the problems and a selection of chocolates, accompanied by a bottle of German wine. A lovely touch and indicative of the level of service I received.

My only major complaint was the club floor. It is a small area on the 8th floor and serves breakfast and evening desserts. There is a small selection of juice, mineral water and a very limited selection of alcohol in the evenings. During these servings the club was always full. Twice, I tried to eat breakfast there only to find no seat available. One evening I sat and waited, dessert in hand 15 minutes for a seat. Space was at such a premium I had to sit down at a dirty table. I ate there for 20 minutes, towards the end of my snack a man sat down at my small table, uninvited, because there was no other space. No one ever cleared the trash from the first guest or my trash from the table. On the final day of my first stay I became so frustrated at not being able to find anywhere to have breakfast that the front desk staff kindly allowed me to eat in Apples, where I discovered a truly wonderful breakfast buffet. It has one of the most varied and fresh selections I have ever found and egg and meat dishes were prepared fresh and were delicious.

On my second stay, club access was included in the rate for my junior suite but I simply bypassed the club and went straight for Apples in the morning as I observed the same overcrowding and mediocre food. Compared not only to other facilities in the hotel but other clubs in Germany (Club at the Ritz Carlton, Berlin) the selection and quality of the club food as well as the service was, very, very poor. I have no doubt the club attendants work diligently but simply too many guests have access to the club for the space provided nor do they offer the quality of food offered elsewhere in hotel. Save your money and eat in Apples.

Food, laundry, and other services at the hotel were excellent. It is not everywhere one can order a great cheeseburger and a great selection of sushi and shshimi from the same kitchen. However, all hotel services are eye-wateringly expensive so business travelers enjoy but leisure travelers should work this into your budget if you plan to avail yourself of hotel services. There are a few public computers in the lobby with attached printers where you can read email and print boarding passes for free but internet access in the room is charged daily.

Despite these small problems and a club that needs drastic improvement, I found a luxurious hotel with a calm professionalism and very comfortable facilities. It is close by to all major sites and basic services with wonderfully comfortable beds and spa quality bathrooms. I have found it more luxurious than the Madison or the Fairmont, which while excellent hotels do not match the Park Hyatt in my opinion.

Happy traveling.

Room Tip: Some rooms offer double high ceilings and windows. The breakfast in Apples restaurant is far superior to the selection in the club lounge. Save the 60 Euro Club fee and instead invest it in breakfast at Apples.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Tashi_Takang, General Manager at Park Hyatt Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you so much for such extensive feedback and the great amount of time you have taken to share your experience of your stay at Park Hyatt Hamburg!

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and appreciate your comments about our team and the facilities of our hotel. I regret that the service at our club lounge did not meet your expectations and I would like to apolozise for any inconvenience caused. I have already spoken with our club lounge as well as f&b team about this issue.

Your feedback with regard to our facilities and services is extremely important to us and allows us to continually monitor and improve our services.

Thank you once again for the great amount of time you have taken to share your kind words of appreciation.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future!

Reviewed 31 January 2014

At five starts I want to be delighted. This hotel gave me more of a standardized, average service experience. Sure the room are big, but the design feels a bit dated and american. Don't understand what the other people are raving about so much.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to rate Park Hyatt Hamburg.

I have carefully read your comments and I am sorry to read that we could not win you as one of our hotel’s numerous friends.

I hope you will give us the opportunity during your next stay in Hamburg to prove our hotel has a unique character.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Park Hyatt is very good central located and in a quite area. Traditional Hyatt hospitality with a modern touch. The service very good and the staff very helpful. Very good quality beds and a nice bathroom. Internet service was not that easy, I had to find out the code and every time you had to log on through some site in order to connect in an average speed net. For me 2nd time in this hotel and for sure not the last.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for your very positive feedback. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our service and the quality of our beds and our bathrooms. I regret that you had difficulties to log-in to the internet and would like to apologize for this inconvenience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

The Park Hyatt is my favourite hotel in Hamburg. The hotel is located in the citycenter on one of the largest shoppingstreets Hamburgs. The rooms are large and offer almost everything you could possibly wish for! Large beds, multiple choice in pillows, soft sheets, a large desk, a perfect bathroom with a separate toilet, large powershower with a seat! a nice tub and quality amenities. The hotel offers a very nice restaurant called Apples , a nice roomservice menu with a lot of variety. If your budget allows you, there's no reason not to stay here! Big plus is the free wifi!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for your very positive feedback. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would personally like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience of your last stay at Park Hyatt Hamburg.

Our guests’ satisfaction is what motivates our team to keep on providing outstanding service and offering such personal attention to our guests. So, you can be sure that I will share your appraisal with my colleagues.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel!