“Excellent location and service”

Hamburg Marriott Hotel
Ranked #49 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I arrived late at night on a business trip. The front of house staff were excellent and the room was well appointed. The only draw back was the breakfast which is served in an executive lounge that feels a bit too like an airport lounge for a hotel of this standard.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights. Overall I would recommend.

A very nice huge Buffet breakfast is included with the room. It is on the first floor and we really got our monies worth. There's also a bar there for evenings with small patio. Quite full a lot.

The room had good amenities and what you expect. Good size room for Europe. Bed was comfortable. Hair dryer. Enough towels/washcloths. Toiletries. Maybe 3-4 English news/sports channels.

Pizza reasonable priced right around corner, expensive shopping and many other restaurants near by. Walk to ubahn is a few min away and 5 min walk to Alster lake and very tourist spots.

Parking is in an attached lot and very expensive but typical for Hamburg. If you can try to use subway system, I would try. Also no valet that we saw.

Do not let the hotel "convert" the bill into US dollars. They really make a killing on unfair conversion.

Overall I would recommend!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The hotel has all you might need, including a free gym and a pool. The rooms are spacious, nice, and clean. A bit tired though. Breakfast is fairly fine. The location is superb. Very central. Easy to get to the airport and it's just around the corner from the shopping areas.

The staff did not live up to my Marriott expectations. I got chewed out by the receptionist when we returned from the room we had been given and told that the smell of smoke was unbearable there. I was told I should always let them know of the non-smoking preference in advance. When I told her that I had done so and showed it in print on the reservation printout, no apology followed.

Another unpleasant thing is that they cannot fit all the people at the breakfast restaurant, so they cover extra tables at the ballroom and with open doors there, there's quite some draft, so grab a jacket. And let's face it - if you're booking a 4* property like Marriott, you kind of expect to eat at a restaurant, not a hallway-like ballroom that feels like eating a train station, albeit a fancy one.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
MarriottHotelHH, Director of Operations at Hamburg Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Survey and sharing your experience with the Hamburg Marriott Hotel.

You indicated in your response that the breakfast area and the Front Desk Associates were unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. Sometimes when the hotel is full with 600 guest we make use of the ballroom/Salons as breakfast area while most of the guest are checking out we are making sure that our guest are on time for there flights or appointments with this we can sit more guest at the same time, I do apologized if this has caused you inconvenience. With regards to the Front Desk Associates we are being trained continuously to exceed guest expectation all the time I do apologize again if this was not met.

We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

A. Heuer
Director of Operations

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This hotel is rated 4 star and is probably really about 3.5.

It is a overpriced for what you get as I found the rooms to be small and worn looking. Has the advantage that you can open the window for fresh air into the room. So the furniture is average, the internet is not free and the meals and drinks way overpriced. The hotel is a lot larger than it looks and the walk to the room can be fairly long down a rather average looking corridor more in keeping with a 2 star place.

I will say that the breakfast is very good as was the restaurant meals. I did not get one bad meal and neither did my partner. The service was excellent in my experience.The bar prices are double average from what I could work out.

The service was pretty good and the bar area is actually reasonable and does a steady trade in the evenings which I think is due to the happy hour. once over it clears out a fair bit.

In the immediate area their is very little other than high end shops (3-400 euro for shoes...). only one or two places for a decent meal nearby with a few "burger joints" well ie small sitdown/takeaway places a fair walk away.

So in my estimation, though its in the middle of town (45min from airport) its in the middle of nowhere - quite a boring place actually. There is a bar around the corner called the American bar and that's really about it in the area.

and yes, the title is a true fact...watch your belongings in the hotel. And I am not the only one I subsequently found out.

Room Tip: get a room street side on a higher level,
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Skeggles
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Was well impressed with what this city has to offer and amazed by there main tourist attraction, Reeperbahn in the district of St Pauli. An eye opening experience for a late night visit which must be seen.
Visited with a group of friends over the weekend. On arrival the receptionist Claire was very good at sorting out our three rooms and making sure we were together. Rooms were spacious, comfortable and had everything we needed for the weekend.
Breakfast was by far the best I have ever had in any marriott. A well organised and large buffet with so much to choose from. Service was very good for what was a busy breakfast on the Saturday morning.
The young omelette chef deserves special recognition for being so welcoming considering he was stuck behind the station on both mornings. Our group all agreed that the pancakes were smashing!!
The hotel bar was a great place to start our night, great Cocktails from the Bar tender (can't remember his name) and he was happy to put up with us considering we were six lads getting ready for the reeperbahn!...
Overall I couldn't fault this hotel in anyway and I know myself and the rest of the group would recommend it to anyone wanting to visit this great German City....

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Ordered a room for 3 with 2 doublebeds. Upon arrival there wad only one bed. When this was adresses, the comment wad that we only ordered a room for 3 with 1 bed. I went to find my confirmation and it did show that we ordered 2 doublebeds. Now the excuse is that we are not 4 people + we should have called to get a confirmation ( for the confirmation). I have staid at marriott hotels in many countries including denmark, germany and the us. I have never experienced such treatment anywere else. But nevertheless... last time i book marriott.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Brian A
MarriottHotelHH, Director of Operations at Hamburg Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Mr. Brian,

You indicated in your response that your stay was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced.

A. Heuer
Director of Operations

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Not a bad hotel within walking distance to most things and if it is not within walking distance the underground is a few blocks away.. Kids do have a set time in the pool, which is no biggie for us but for others i do know this can be a let down.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family