Hotel Atlantic Kempinski Hamburg
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
1,292 results
All reviewsgrand old hotelclassic hotelbeautiful hotelalster lakeroom servicedeluxe rooma wonderful staynespresso machinetrain stationrooms are spaciousbusiness tripan upgradeshopping areareception areabreakfast buffetmain stationcity centre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 July 2014

With its grand facade, pretty lakeside location and five-star price, I expected more from the Atlantic. We were somewhat breathlessly greeted by the young desk clerk, who, on spying our backpacks and realising we had no other luggage, enquired if we'd come by EasyJet. With a flourish, he retrieved our booking and declared that we were to be installed in one of their classic rooms, a euphemism for "bottom of the range". Nonetheless, he was very helpful in pointing out various locations on the map, including all the designer shops (in which we had no interest) and a running route around the lake (which was to be our first activity). We did, at one point, fervently wish he would just stop speaking.

Our room, number 527, was at the end of a series of alleyways on the first floor, tucked away in a corner and overlooking the block of upmarket but empty flats next door, with very noisy road works below. The pillows were lumpy, the bed concave and the wi-fi didn't stretch this far, at least not for either of my two devices. The carpet was stained by a leak in the radiator and the room had a very tired, beige look about it. The cupboard was a wall rack with no door and definitely had room for only one person's belongings.

Disappointingly, the hairdryer only worked intermittently, needing a few minutes to cool down between bursts of activity, which made getting ready for dinner a very lengthy affair. Also, the shower did not drain very well, which meant the second person in the shower had to stand in an an inch or two of tepid water.

While very well-located in relation to the train station and the city centre, with some good outdoor eating and sundowner options at the lake side across the road and around the corner, the Atlantic fell far short of the expectations conjured up by its majestic reception area and pillared external facade. Given that we had not come to Hamburg to spend all day in our hotel room, its faults were tolerable. Nonetheless, for the price we paid we should at least have been able to get a working hairdryer and a draining shower. I'm certain your can get better value for money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid 527 or keep the windows shut, otherwise it is very very noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mandy R
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed 3 nights. It is located near Alster lake of Hamburg and also close to the center of the city. I love room services in the morning because breads and coffee are great. I recommend you should stay for the business.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ihitihit
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I would come back to Germany just for this hotel. I would come back to Hamburg for it. I absolutely fell in love with this hotel. I would only want to stay here. Its perfect.
I loved the location. It was right by the water(across the street) and it was perfect for reading. They had everything. It was a few minutes from Hamburg HBF the city center with ICE trains, the Bahn, and buses. It had a mall in it as well. It was perfect. There were amazing restaurants surrounding the entire area. I couldn't have been happier. There is so much to say about how much I love this place. Walking down the hallways and seeing everything they had on display made me feel like I was walking down a mini museum and I have to say that is my favorite. It made me feel at home and wanting to explore the hotel. It was just so perfect and Im really upset I had to leave. The staff are so nice and polite and generous they were. They are so lucky. I wouldn't mind working or living there. Its filled with history and comfort. I don't know what else I could say that wouldn't be repetitive and redundant. Just stay here. Plan your get away around this hotel. You won't regret it all, it is worth every penny and then some.

Room Tip: Every room is perfect
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BeccaKP
Reviewed 4 July 2014

A Traditional, friendly, Top Class hotel in a great location.
We really liked this hotel, the room was very spacious, we had a two bedroom junior suite facing the courtyard. VERY QUIET which is great for me. large comfortable bed, excellent shower, The staff were excellent, all multi lingual, professional and cool!
Great bar and inner courtyard, although I like to try different hotels, this will take some beating and I cannot wait to go back!
Danke!!!

Room Tip: Inner room facing the courtyard is really quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stefanovic
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This hotel is first class all around. The staff was so accommodating and it felt as though they were anticipating our needs. Small but well appointed room with a great shower and separate spa tub. Our son loved the turn down service for his stuffed animals. Great location close to everything

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family