“Good room but poor wifi”

Best Western Premier Alsterkrug Hotel
Ranked #61 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel on short notice due to flight cancellation in Berlin. Came to the hotel late at night, the welcome was ok. Hotel is oldstyle/romantic style. It was a surprise when we came to the room and found that is was a very good room which was clean, with great space and comfy beds. Good bathroom with plenty space and very nice and clean. But, the WiFi internet was not good at all, I was not able to connect to WiFi with any device at all... Maybe it was because the room was in the far-end of the hotel entrance, but it has been a long time since I've been to a hotel with a basically non-working WiFi.
Did not try the breakfast as we had a very early flight, but the location to the airport was excellent. But close to road with traffic to and from the airport. I guess I would have preferred a hotel closer to city if we had plans to explore Hamburg.

Room Tip: Executive room is big and excellent in standard.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
schoenmathias, Front Office Manager at Best Western Premier Alsterkrug Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear JanErik,

thank you for your all in all very positiv feedback.
We will talk to our IT specialist, so that we can solve the problem with our wifi.
It would be nice to welcome you again and a standard of us is, that every guest gets a ticket for the public transport in Hamburg for free, so maybe even if we are not directly in the center we will be an option for you and your family.

If you have any further questions or whishes don't hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

A group of us stayed here on business. The bar is tiny and so was packed with the amount of guests staying there and at 5.10 a pint the price was extortionate! The free wifi was OK but despite me getting a 4 day pass it expired after less than a day and I had to get a new one. Indeed the next 1 day pass expired after less than a day so every time I left the hotel I ensured I asked for a new wifi code/password. A bit of a nuisance really.

Rooms - very nice room, apart from the heat. It was boiling hot and there was no air conditioning so I had to open the window, which was on the main road so was very noisy (although I took earplugs).

The breakfast was brilliant - best breakfast I've ever had on the continent.
Staff are wonderful in all aspects of the hotel, despite the problems with the hot bedrooms.

Several of my colleagues also had really hot rooms - one colleague said he had a balcony (lucky him!) and one colleague said he had an air conditioning unit (again, lucky him) but the rest of us, although in the same style of room, didn't have these.

Apart from the breakfast, one of the best things about the hotel is the unlimited free travel on S-Bahns/U-Bahns/local buses. They never mentioned this when we checked in and indeed my colleagues paid for taxis but I'd done my research and discovered you just have to enquire at the desk. Despite this, nobody ever checked my ticket on the train. It is a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest U-Bahn station or catch the (free with your ticket) bus.

Overall I gave this 4 stars "very good" as I thought it was better than 3 stars "average" although I did have several gripes with the place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
schoenmathias, Front Office Manager at Best Western Premier Alsterkrug Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Kirk,

we are glad that we got a feedback from you about your stay, to improve our service and quality constantly.
We apologize for not exceeding your expectations concerning our Guest Room.
We have different kinds of airconditions in all our rooms on the mainroad side and so there are some variations in the intensity.
But we are happy, that your stay was all in all very positive and you enjoyed the time in Hamburg.
We hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

A really comfortable stay at this hotel located only 5 minutes from Hamburg airport. Rooms were very fresh with great bathrooms, excellent WiFi and comfy beds.

Breakfast was a great selection of hot and continental choices, and the small bar was very welcoming.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
schoenmathias, Front Office Manager at Best Western Premier Alsterkrug Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Littlejohn,

thank you very much for your feedback.
Its always nice to hear if our guests feel comfortable and enjoy their stay.
We hope to see you again.

Best greetings from your
Alsterkrug-Team

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I spent a weekend there, in fact my birthday, with my wife and friends. The trip to Hamburg was my present.
Staff very friendly and professional, helped us with glasses and buckets of ice when we arrived late at night and decided to celebrate in the bar area.
Room very spacious (facing the airport), big comfortable double bed, renovated bathroom.
The breakfast was complete and varied, though a bit pricey.
I would gladly go back, even if it is off the beaten track from city center, we had a 10 min walk to the nearest train station. And then it´s a 25 minute train ride to the main city attractions.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
schoenmathias, Front Office Manager at Best Western Premier Alsterkrug Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Antonio,

thanks for your good feedback. We're happy that you enjoyed your stay and especially your brithday in our hotel. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback.
We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I enjoyed a short stay here between flights,I booked a 'secret' hotel deal where you find out after paying a reduced fee where you are staying,i wasn't disappointed on arrival.My room was excellent with a nice view over the courtyard and had all the touches of a luxury hotel including coffee machine,free internet and premium sports channels.I had a drink in the bar and found all the staff to be very polite and helpful.The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet despite being fairly close to the airport.I had breakfast which at18€ was quite expensive for what was on offer the food was nice but the choice was limited and for the cost could be better,some basics that need addressing would be the need for hot plates to put your food onto as my food went cold quite quickly.overall though I enjoyed my stay and would return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Adam,

thanks for your feedback.
We are happy to hear, that you had a nice stay at the Alsterkrug Hotel. Thanks for your feedback and your suggestions for our breakfast.
It would be nice to welcome you again.

Best regards
your Alsterkrug Team

Reviewed 23 January 2014

It is a very nice hotel close to the airport..... A lot of things are included e.g. a free two day card for all public trasnport in Hamburg and free wifi but breakfast and garage is extra as well as extra coffee saches .. Staff very helpfull and very serviceminded.... Thanks for the support with ice and extra pillows when I injured my calf.... Thumbs up.
Rooms are decent and looks recently updated and for all clean... Don't panic if you get windows out towards the mainroad, if they closed you don't really hear the traffic..... You can have a room facing the back for a premium but I wouldn't swap for an extra fee..... It is a little outside the city center but with a car it is not a problem.
Good breakfast buffet but rather pricey.. Decent restaurant but also on the expensive side...especially the wine was a bit too pricey.....small cosy bar with good selection in drinks and beer on tap...Köstritzer Schwarz is my favorite.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lhi1964
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I literally only spent probably 3 waking hours in this hotel as my train arrived very late and I had another early train the next day but I was quite impressed with what I saw in that time. The staff were very friendly and when they checked me in, i asked them if there was a way to get back to the central train station (I had taken a cab from the station as google maps was showing public transport only went 2/3 of th way out there, I'd have to drive the rest of the way). Not only did they tell me how to do it, the hotel reservation included a travel card for free public transport! So I was able to avoid the 28Euro cab ride!

The room was lovely! Very spacious, huge and comfortable bed, a TV that had a little greeting on the screen for me and the bathroom was bright and vibrant with some extra ammentities (like lotion for one). The wifi was super fast also which helped as I was uploading some videos overnight.

I would recommend this hotel and definitely consider staying in it if I was ever in Hamburg again. =o)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo