“Nice hotel but internet access too expensive!”

Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster
Ranked #49 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but internet access too expensive!”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I thought the hotel was really nice, good location and nice area however I really don't get the €27 euros a day internet charges. To really enjoy a city break you need to be able plan trips and hire bikes etc.. Therefore as far as I'm concerned cheap access to the internet should be is a basic right and if there is going to be a charge then it should be a small one like €5 for 60 minutes total use! If the smaller hotels can do it then why can't the bigger ones? Oh and the breakfast room was busy and undermanned although the staff were all very helpful

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
GMHamburgCP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear BigAndBouncy762,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced. Furthermore I want to assure the issues you have raised concerning the service will definitely be addressed and appropriate actions will be taken. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the service we offer to our guests.

Hannes Dreher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the CP Hamburg for 2 nights having always stayed at the Atlantic.
I enjoy a privileged Platinum Royal Ambassador status with IHG group which generally means 1st rate service.
On check in I was advised I had been upgraded to a Club Room which is typical for CP stays and a very welcome benefit. After here though some problems.
1. The room was disappointing. I have not seen the std room but I can't guess what it must be like if I had a club room! Very tired.
2. The Air Con was either not working or switched off. I stayed at a CP in Milan a few months ago where they also turned off the air con, I really don't understand why guests can't decide their own room temperature? After complaining I was advised that air con in Europe is not like air con in US!!! PS I'm English!
Finally advised to open the window!
3. Only 1 small bottle if water per day given (bearing in mind a hot room)
4. Bed had 2 single duvets and I was advised they don't have doubles.
5. Despite being given a club room I was denied club lounge access!!! Unbelievable. After complaining they granted it 'as a special one-off'. I think the 'one-off' is this hotel!!
6. After finally getting into the lounge it was a let down. No newspapers, very small drinks choice, food choice was ONE leftover triangle ham sandwich and a half a donut!?! No staff in the lounge to ask for help from.

This is my 3rd disappointing CP stay (also Milan and Heathrow). HI Express would have been a better choice and I will not stay here again.

PS look out for the most bizarre fake grass area on floor 2 with plastic sheep?? Really!!

Disappointing IHG...you need to secret shop this place

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank OnAnotherFlight
GMHamburgCP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear OnAnotherFlight,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. Furthermore I want to assure the issues you have raised will definitely be addressed and appropriate actions will be taken. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the service we offer to our guests.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The hotel is good... but there are a few things to be better:
1. Rooms with small flat tv and the tv system is complicated. Also, the images are bad.
2. I had to change the room from 522 to 524, because the sink did not have enough flow of water.
3. the swimming pool the water is cold. What does it take to warm it up? Even the staff at the front desk warn that the water is not hot.
4. Rooms need an upgrade.

The hotel has its potential, but only stay if it is a good price.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Raphael D.,

FIFE
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed for 3 nights receptionist was very helpful when checking in restaurant staff very polite and friendly.The hotel bedroom was very clean and also the bathroom plenty of clean towels which were changed daily.The hotel is within a 15 minute walk to main railway station and costs 3 euros to get from the airport to railway station we got a taxi from railway station to hotel which was only 7 euros.We walked into town by the alster which was very pretty Hamburg was very easy to get around without using public transport.The hotel had a lovely bar to chill out and have a drink at the end of the day,the breakfast was also very good freshly made omelettes and plenty of choice of hot and continental food.I would not hesitate in staying in another crowne plaza hotel

Room Tip: ROOM ON fifth floor very quiet
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
GMHamburgCP, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear VICTORIAFife,

Thank you very much for providing us with your review. We highly appreciate your review because we are concerned to improve our quality on a constant basis in order to increase our guest satisfaction and to fulfill our guest’s needs, wishes, and wants. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Love this hotel. Really close to the city centre and Alstar. Amazing breakfast and breakast staff was really nice and profesional.

I really enjoyed their tea lounge in the lobby. Great place to sit after a long city walk! I would recommend it to everyone!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
GMHamburgCP, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear MiralS,

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The hotel located in the centre of Hamburg! 10 km from the airport! Staff and the food are excellent! Only disappointing, you have to pay 22 euros per day per one device for internet. Extra device 12 euros. That is unacceptable in this fast word especial you are on business strip.

Room Tip: My room was a double. Absolutely calm. You could hear any nose from the street or from the neighbour...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
GMHamburgCP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Elmio 1981,

John O'Groats, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I stayed one night! I booked a suite and found myself next to the Club Lounge which was nice. The club lounge itself is somewhat basic - but it was empty! And has a view of sorts to the water.

I had breakfast in the club lounge and it was somewhat basic - no better than an Express really. The hotel is relatively close to the city and I walked there in the morning.

A robust and comfortable hotel. But somehow a little tired.

Room Tip: Not sure. I had a suite, it was comfortable enough.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
GMHamburgCP, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear John O'Groats,

Thank you very much for providing us with your review. We appreciate your review because we are concerned to improve our quality on a constant basis in order to increase our guest satisfaction and to fulfill our guest’s needs, wishes, and wants. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.