“Good location, nice rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster

Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster
Ranked #51 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Norway
“Good location, nice rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located literally a few meters from the lake Alster and a walking distance to the center. Nice and green area. Breakfast was ok, but no egg&bacon :) Service was good, rooms were very clean. Quiet even though close to the road.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Jelena S
GMHamburgCP, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Jelena P.,

Thank you very much for providing us with your positive review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay the Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster. Furthermore we are pleased to hear that you especially enjoyed the location and the green surrounding.
Regarding the breakfast we have a show cook who takes care of the guest’s wishes and prepares egg dishes as well as bacon a la minute. Moreover we are looking forward to welcome you again.

Hannes Dreher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Luton, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in May 2014 for just the one night. Decent standard hotel as you would expect from the IHG Group. Good location, comfortable rooms. Friendly staff witha a good grasp of English (my German is very poor). Excellent facilities and particularly enjoyed the Tea Lounge in reception.

Food - good choice of continental meats, cheeses and pastries. Hot buffet was nice.

Would recommend for the business or leisure traveller

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GMHamburgCP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Phillipe S.,

Thank you for providing us with a positive review and thank you for staying with us. Indeed your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services we offer to our guests. We are glad that you enjoyed our facilities and the Tea Lounge. Moreover we appreciate your recommendations and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

North Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

A pleasant stay at a good hotel.
It's a bit away from the centre but that's really no problem - either a 20 minute walk along The Alster or through interesting St Georg or under 10 minute bus ride (no.6) into the centre. The hotel comes across as an effective, no nonsense hotel for business and tourists. Lacking a bit in flair or special quality but it does everything well.
The rooms are well appointed but looking a bit dated in places. But clean and comfortable. Evening meal and breakfast were good quality but standard fare in such a hotel.
One thing stood out however and that was the quality and professionalism of all the personnel. I was extremely impressed with every single member of staff I had contact with, I can't fault them. Thank you for this, it's what I'll remember most about the hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHamburgCP, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear BritneyNorthGermany,

Thank you very much for providing us with your review. We are glad about your very considerate and positiv review. Furthermore we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here on Business with colleagues whilst attending an exhibition in Hamburg, stayed for 4 Days, things didnt start well from my intital booking several months before as i had pre paid 4 rooms, then they charged an extra night which I had to get refunded only problem was after credit card company charged a commission fee for the transaction both ways for the initial transaction and refund i was £30 out of pocket. The visit was good except they decided to only have one bar restaurant open for 250 guests with 2 waiters who could not cope so no doubt service was also, poor and the food was limited and average, in fairness to them when we complained they handled the situation well and discounted the meal however it could have been avoided.
The internet is 22 Euros for 24 hours which is expensive considering as now a days you have to access email on business as i am a loyalty card holder you would have thought this would have been free as it is in some hotels, you can ask for less time but its still expensive.
The rest of the stay was good, Breakfast is good with a nice selection and good real coffee machine

• 2 of 5 bubbles
GMHamburgCP, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear RealityCheck2013,

Thank you for providing us with your considerate review and thank you for staying with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. Furthermore I want to assure the issues you have raised concerning the service in the restaurant and bar will definitely be addressed and appropriate actions will be taken. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the service we offer to our guests.

Adrian, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

I was quite impressed with this hotel as it was perfect for my situation. I had come to Hamburg on business. I had first stayed in the Holiday Inn Express not far from this hotel. But the prices there were as expensive or perhaps more so than the Crowne Plaza. This was a much better bargain in a very convenient location. It was also a full service hotel with two good restaurants. During my stay in Germany, I suffered a broken ankle from a fall at a factory. Hence, I was unexpectedly on crutches during the latter part of my stay. The Crowne Plaza was able to accommodate me very nicely. The exterior looked quite nice on approach and the interior likewise gave a good impression upon entering. The staff were all very polite and helpful. The facilities were excellent. They offered me a handicapped room which was greatly appreciated. It was certainly adequately spacious. The amenities were also sufficient, especially the WiFi which worked well throughout my stay and was quite useful for my situation. The restaurants were convenient and of good quality. Both my check in and check out experiences were quite efficient. In all, this was an excellent hotel and I am very appreciative that they accommodated me so easily.

2 Thank Debbie K
Dear Debbie K,

Thank you very much for providing us with your review. We highly appreciate your review because we are concerned to improve our quality on a constant basis in order to increase our guest satisfaction and to fulfill our guest’s needs, wishes, and wants.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Athens, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Crowne Plaza Hamburg is an efficient hotel with well equipped, clean rooms and a nice breakfast. On the down side is the lack of free WiFi all over the hotel which I find unacceptable and a slightly inconvenient location. However, if you arrive by car, it is not that bad as it has adequate parking. On the other hand, if you travel for business and without a car, there are other options more centrally located and with free WiFi in the room. Service is indifirent and the mattress of my bed, I had the impression that needed replacement due to having overpassed its useful lifetime. I can't decide whether I can recommend this hotel, but what I can certainly say is that I would look for alternatives in Hamburg.

Dear mnx16,

Thank you very much for providing us with your review. Furthermore I hope you accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced. Therefore I want to assure the issues you have raised will definitely be addressed and appropriate actions will be taken. Your review is very important to us as because it assists us in continually improving the service we offer to our guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and while we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I thought the hotel was really nice, good location and nice area however I really don't get the €27 euros a day internet charges. To really enjoy a city break you need to be able plan trips and hire bikes etc.. Therefore as far as I'm concerned cheap access to the internet should be is a basic right and if there is going to be a charge then it should be a small one like €5 for 60 minutes total use! If the smaller hotels can do it then why can't the bigger ones? Oh and the breakfast room was busy and undermanned although the staff were all very helpful

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMHamburgCP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hamburg - City Alster, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear BigAndBouncy762,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced. Furthermore I want to assure the issues you have raised concerning the service will definitely be addressed and appropriate actions will be taken. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the service we offer to our guests.