Novum Hotel Belmondo Hamburg Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #257 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I was allowed to check in immediately upon arriving, even though I arrived early in the morning. The staff had left little packets of gummi bears on my bed, which I thought was a nice personal touch.

The room was spacious, but I had to use my own pillow because I found theirs uncomfortable. There is no internet in the rooms - you have to either use the one computer provided at reception (not convenient at busy times) or use the expensive wifi provider they are affiliated with. In fairness, they are up-front about this and I wasn't getting any unpleasant surprises.

The hotel is also a short walk to the station. The staff gave me a map and showed me how to get there.

I've stayed in better hotels, but on the whole I was pleased, especially with the service I received.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 February 2011

We were expecting something special... a four star hotel, fair enough we got a good deal on the price but I now know why!
We had booked a double room and got a twin. When asked apparently this hotel doesn't do double beds. There wasn't any information upon booking to add breakfast and the website clearly says breakfast buffet. This is £12.50 per person per day. Needless to say we ventured to the local shop.
The location is close to the station but it is a dark walk at night through areas where we saw discarded needles and what was almost certainly a deal of some sort. Advice: stick to the main roads and definitely don't take your kids... the prostitutes in the red light distrtcts work at all times of day, they had wrapped up warm- we were glad to have checked the weather beforehand as -8 required many layers.
Oh and that picture... very cleverly taken...is a small dirty canal behind the hotel not the river. The front of the hotel looks nothing like that.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kake_15
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Smallish 40 room hotel, within short walking distance of train station and old town. Large comforable rooms, English TV and free adult movies, what more could you want! Excellent hot and cold buffet breakfast. Friendly, efficient English speaking staff. On a main road with a boring view, but for the 44E we paid for a large double room, who cares! Fabulous value hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Hotel is located in a walking distance (10min) from the Central railway station but the path is not very nice. Public transport is not not useful to get any closer. The building is squeezed between the two streets though not too busy, and I managed to sleep with opened window. The only possible ‘courtyard’ view is to the small parking lot, rather noisy as well. Almost nothing in the immediate vicinity (only offices and residential buildings), but this is not so bad for Hamburg Central station area! And in 10 min walk main shopping area is located (Mönckebergstrasse). Single room I had was clean and comfortable and I’ve no complains regarding housekeeping. Unfortunately they have no free wi-fi internet, only a PC in the lobby. No English channels on TV. The room was reasonably priced.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Two of my main criteria for booking a hotel are that they should be of a very good standard and that they should be very near the train station,alas this hotel fulfilled none of these.I had to ask the Information booth in the station to show me where the hotel was.they indicated on a map where it was.It took me 20minutes to walk there.Later i found a short cut which brought it down to 10minutes.When i found the hotel i was very downcast.Quite apart from the walk,it was a scruffy building on a main road ,opposite a used car lot,with no shops or restaurants around.The exact opposite to my ideal.The foyer is small.the one bright point being that it had a free pc point.My single room was of a reasonable size but was very basic.There was only a shower,no bath,no clock,no shaving mirror and no safe deposit box.When i knelt down to take off my shoes i saw white bits in the carpet,clearly the room had not been properly hoovered.Also the only illumination was from small lights which whilst bright burned very hot.One evening i was reading when the room went dark.It was apparent that the lights automatically turn themselves off when they get too hot.What would happen if i had to get out of the room in an emergency.The bed had a duvet,which i hate.the pillow was very uncomfortable,like putting your head on a lump of dough.I had only one good nights sleep in 3.
I had no choice but to have breakfast in the hotel as there was nowhere else to go.It cost 10 euros and was very unexceptional.there was one sour note.I normally take a couple of rolls and boiled egg for my lunch.when i was walking out the receptionist said i could not do this as the food was only to be eaten at that time.Needless to say the next day i did take some food.
I did try to see if i could find another hotel but as this was the week of the Europa league Final i was not successful.This is the first time in using Tripadvisor that i have found a hotel that i did not like.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank wingate
Reviewed 23 November 2009

This hotel had no review despite being walking distance to the train station and also reasonably priced. I read some reviews at other sites and took a risk booking a room.
When I arrived at the train station I called the hotel for directions and they were politely provided over the phone. Then when we arrived at the reception I was surprised when the lady at the check-in told us all rooms were booked and she well upgrade us to a suite style apartment. Although the hotel did not look full we did not complain and as a result of the upgrade had a great time there. The service in general was very polite but I have to mention that I speak fluent German which may have helped :-)

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
Reviewed 1 August 2007

I've stayed in the Arcadia hotel during my first trip to beautifull Hamburg.
To start with; the staff is very friendly and try to help you with all they can.

The rooms are large and offer 2 twinbeds put together like a false double. The rooms offer a good view on the Spaldingstrasse with it's busy traffic. The room is further equipt with a minibar and small workingdesk.
The bathroom is average equipt but large.

In my opionion this hotel offers good value for money when you would like to stay in close walking distance from the Central station for a reasonable amount of money.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)