“rudeness is the rule”

Ranked #188 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
New York
“rudeness is the rule”
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Jurg Timplaw - concierge was rude beyond belief. Hotel door closes at 10PM and there's no one on premises to help you with any matter. Should you loose your key - tough luck. Knowing they close at 10 - I showed up at the desk at 9:30PM to check out and ask for a wake up call at 4. (my flight was at 6AM next morning); I asked for my bill - when I wanted to look it over; Mr Timplaw told me "hurry up; I go home at 10" tapping his fingers on the counter. I told him all I needed was 2 minutes. He rolled his eyes and kept tapping his fingers. I paid my bill and went to my room. Room was not made up; worst of all there were no towels; not even the ones we used in the morning. I called Mr. Timplaw; who said he cannot help me; everyone went home. At that point I was royally ticked and told him; not everyone went home - he's stil around and he should get the master key; go to empty rooms and get me towels and if he hurried he'd still have 20 minutes to close up shop.
He showed up w/towels; threw them into the bathtub and said "happy?" Needless to say - I did not get a wake up call (expecting this I set my cell phone)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nightmareatgarden

Families
Aston Clinton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2006

Probably not everyone's cup of tea but for us this was the nicest hotel we stayed in during a recent visit to Hamburg, Berlin, Dresden and Cologne. The decor is modern eclectic in an old building and gives a feeling that one is staying somewhere different and where the owners have put some thought into creating a relaxing atmosphere. We had a large room at the back with a balcony looking over the embassy roofs to the Alster lake. It was great - plenty of room, clean, well furnished with everything one needed (including a CD player, bath robes etc). Quiet too.

Breakfast was the best we had on this trip. Good selection, not huge, but top quality.

Helpful staff too.

Highly recommended to anyone who wants something a bit different from the chain hotels and is certainly value for money in our view

• Stayed March 2006