Hotel Louis C. Jacob
US$174
US$164
Official Site
  • Pool
Generator Hostel Hamburg(Hamburg)(Great Value!)
US$46
US$340
US$256
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewslime treeleading hotels of the worldmax liebermannaustrian winesbig shipsa busy main roadolder partmain receptionmain restaurantshuttle servicecharming hotelwriting deskjunior suitebreakfast was deliciousqueen maryrooms are spaciouscity centre
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Friendly staff, nice rooms, excellent restaurant and well located at the Elbe.
The special offers for different occasions are nicely priced and the program offered is mostly very interesting.
City is easy to reach by public transport or shuttle provided by the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2012

An excellent hotel in a fantastic location, overlooking the Elbe river (there is an Airbus factory on the other side, but still a great view). Rooms with Elbe view are few, though, so be sure to book early. But rooms in the annex across the street are excellent as well, and you can enjoy the huge airport-like corridor underground when walking towards them. Generally everything is very spacious and decorated in great taste.

The restaurant is excellent, again with Elbe views and a famous terrace - the "Lindenterasse" of Max Liebermann (a German painter) fame. Just sitting there with a drink and watching the ships going to and from Germany's busiest harbour is a treat. Fantastic for events as well!

Staff are attentive and helpful, only if you like to be left to your own devices it can appear a bit much at times.

The only drawback is the wellness area, which doesn't amount to much, only a small sauna and a tiny Jaccuzi. It would have been better to do without it altogether.

Overall highly recommended if you are looking for a luxury experience with individual flair in the high-end area of the beautiful town of Hamburg. Only wellness-lovers would be better off somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with river Elbe views - but book early and allocate a good chunk of your travel budget
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
louisjacob, Manager at Hotel Louis C. Jacob, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We hope to welcoming you soon again!
Silke Einfeldt, Director of Sales

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Coming back from a longer scandinavian journey we spent the last night before taking the DB-Autozug from Hamburg to Lörrach in the Hotel Louis C. Jacob. This is really one of my best Hotel-experiences I ever made! Excellent style in every respect, very attentive service, wonderfull rooms (if you ever can, choose an "Elbzimmer" with direct view to the Elbe!), marvellous restaurant... Highly recommendable!

Room Tip: As written above, try to get an "Elbzimmer".
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed at this luxury hotel on my own, for business.
The room I stayed in (102) was quite small, although big enough fo one person, I guess it is mainly used as a single room.
The attention for the details in the room and the cleanliness were very good. Slippers and dressing gown were provided. There is underfloor heating in the bathroom, very efficient.
The view of the river Elbe from the room was really nice.
The only fault I found was the TV channels list, which was not up-to-date with the actual channels on TV.
Breakfast was very good, with a wide choice of sweet and savoury food.
I did not enjoy the fact that smoking is still allowed in the internal bar: I had to walk through the bar to get to my room, and noticed the stink straight away every time. Bleah.
The service was very attentive and suitable to the standard of the hotel.
Prices also reflected the standard.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SimoneC5
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Guys, I'm just embarrassed. This review is coming almost a few weeks later after my stay at this hotel in November because I really wanted to give myself some understanding of this hotel's value as it is rated so favorably here.

I had a really early morning arrival in Hamburg, but hotel's check in policy is around 3pm. Upon my arrival I contacted the hotel from the airport to find out if they accept early check in. The hotel staff told me she will call me back and confirm, but I never received any phone calls on my cell phone. So I contacted the hotel again, and was able to get early check in.

I took taxi to the hotel which costs me about 33 Euros. Upon my arrival, the first thing I noticed was the sense of smell, which felt as if I just walked into a senior citizen day care center. It was just odd to me.

I was shown around the building by one of the staffs, and was escorted to my room which was located in annex area. I didn't feel the room had any wow-feeling to it, but it was moderate and clean. I have a habit of paying attention to details, so I was taken aback when I saw some wood frame around the door chipped off. It just didn't look flawless. The furniture in the room is acceptable, but has a very old feel to it. Room itself is very specious and comfortable, so no complaints with that.

What I really had hard time at this hotel was the noise. I was extremely tired after heavy traveling day and night before, so I just wanted to take some afternoon nap and rest. It was nearly impossible to do that since the hotel staff were too busy frantically walking back and forth in the hallway (which you can hear so loud through the walls of your room), and hear some more staff cleaning and flushing out the toilet next door to me.

After lack of proper rest on the first day, I decide to head out and explore a bit. I asked the receptionist / front desk to check the frequency of bus coming and going to the Hamburg city center, and the timing. I had literally 3 people struggle to get me a proper answer which took 7 minutes to get the info I needed. By the way, the great part about the hotel is that Bus Station is about 3 minutes easy walking distance. Just take the bus wherever you want to go, and avoid using hotel's recommended taxi service. The bus fare is about 7.50 Euros for a whole day unlimited. If you need to go to Hamburg HB (main train station), bus #36 will take you there in about 41 minutes. It's easy and comfortable as well. I couldn't get the staff to give me this much info when I asked. They appeared clueless.

For food, room service is proper. It isn't the greatest food you had or will have, but it's acceptable. It is costly for its quality, while quantity of food is decent for one person.

I had absolutely no issues with hot water, and shower-head was fantastic, although for some reason shower-head kept dripping water long after I turned it off and kept hearing some buzzing noise from it.

I also had to suffer another misstep at this hotel on the very next day when I came back to my room around 3pm and it was still not prepared. I was pretty shocked, and went back to front desk and asked them to let me know when it would be ready as I wait for it in their lounge / lobby area. I spent good 30 minutes waiting, and then confirmed with the staff to make sure room was cleaned before I went back upstairs (it's a long walk if you get a room in annex). They told me it was all ready, but when I arrived at the room again I saw one of the staff checking out the shower-head and cleaning glass door. As soon as she saw me, she left my room immediately, however another uninvited staff opened the main door (possibly with a master key??) and I was baffled with what was going on. As soon as she saw me, she apologized and closed the door immediately. This kind of intrusion is so unnecessary!

My patience was truly tested on the last day the most. Unfortunately I had to check out of the hotel for a very early morning flight (again), and had to be at the airport by 6:45am. When I went downstairs to check out, there was nobody to assist me, but I heard a few guys working in a room behind the main desk. You'd think they realize someone was waiting, but nothing happened till I yelled out 'excuse me!' before someone came out and worked with me. After the check-out was complete and got my final invoice, I went outside heading towards the bus station. Immediately I realized that I left one of my belonging in my room, so I had to go back to get it. To my horror, the hotel doors were locked (they lock doors and don't open till sunrise, or who knows what time?), so it was impossible for me to get back in. There were no Doorbells either. It took 5 minutes of knocking on the door before someone saw me through the window, and I was finally able to grab my stuff. Of course I missed my transportation due to all of this.

I have to say though, the hotel is in extremely posh, and affluent area. While it's an experience to stay away from city center, and also be right on Elbchaussee, Hotel Louis C. Jacob isn't so luxurious or grand it is made out to be - perhaps it used to be.

Bottom line: you can find a better deal and better places to stay at other hotels either in city center or even in other remote areas in Hamburg. While the location is excellent right on Elb, it is far from perfect.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room in annex. While the rooms are nice, I believe the main part of the hotel has better view and rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo