“IKEA deluxe”

Scandic Hamburg Emporio
Ranked #17 of 323 Hotels in Hamburg
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Had a very pleasant 3 night stay at this beautiful hotel.

Staff is very helpful and friendly.

Rooms are specious, bright and clean. Beds are very comfy.

Location is great to explore the city, even on foot.
All main attractions are 5-15min walks away. And the underground station is only 2min away or 5-10 if you walk down to jungfernstieg to avoid changing lines.

Stayed: July 2014
Tobias A, Director of Sales at Scandic Hamburg Emporio, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Hej dear guest,

thank you very much for your feedback. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and liked Swedish design. Did you notice our design theme water, which you can find in small details throughout the hotel? We hope to welcome you again, the next time you explore Hamburg.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (1,741)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

On the positive side, hotel has good location and stylish architecture. My room (superior class) was spacious and had visually appealing interior design. First impression upon arrival was very positive.

On the negative side, they seem to be seriously understaffed or just don't care about the quality of their service:
- There were constant problems with the wlan. Reception gave me phone number for technical support hotline in UK. After finally getting through, support center refused to address my problem as the hotel is located in Germany and not their responsibility. Eventually I did reach the correct support hotline, and spent over two hours trying to (unsuccessfully) debug the problem. Due to these internet problems, I couldn't prepare properly for my own customer meeting. Hotel refused to compensate this in any way. Their rationale was that since the internet is "Free" (included in the room rate), it is acceptable if it doesn't work.
- First evening after eating in the hotel restaurant I waited 20 minutes for the bill, which never arrived. I had to ask again for it from another waitress, as the first one had apparently forgotten me.
- Next morning when I went for the breakfast, I waited over five minutes beside the sign saying "wait here to be seated". Staff paid no attention and eventually I just walked in on my own. Restaurant was almost empty, so they should not have been too busy.
- Second evening (at 11pm) I felt hungry and went downstairs to eat. Restaurant was already closed and there was no room service either. Only food available was small portion of flamkuchen, which you can order from the bar. Lady taking my order asked if I would like to have my flamkuchen on a plate, or in a box, so that I can take it up to my room. I asked to get it in a box. Ten minutes later I got my flamkuchen delivered on a plate.When I pointed this out they swiftly took it back, disappeared in to the kitchen, and returned with the same (by now cold) flamkuchen packed in a cardboard box.
- On the morning of my departure, cleaning lady entered my room twice just few seconds after knocking on the door. She did not wait for my answer. I had left the "do not disturb" sign outside the door but that had disappeared somewhere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Matkalla2014
Tobias A, Director of Sales at Scandic Hamburg Emporio, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Hej dear guest,

thank you for your feedback about your stay at our hotel. We are very sorry that you experienced poor service that you described. We would like to make clear, that this is not our standard and that we were very surprised about the incidents that you stated. Usually we get very good ratings especially about the service. So we are very sorry, that you couldn't enjoy our service, due to serious mistakes, as the example of the cleaning lady shows. We will communicate this at the departments involved and would be very happy to prove to you another time, that we are offering welcoming service.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Checking in went very well. The room was big and clean. Because they have big windows the rooms are light. It's a small walk from from the hotel to the centre and the metro station is around the corner. Parking is in the garage underneath the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank EMZNetherlands
Tobias A, Director of Sales at Scandic Hamburg Emporio, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Hej dear guest,

we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and especially our location in the city center. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during a conference. Hotel is very easy to get to the University of Hamburg and city centre. Central station and metro are in walking distance as well.

Check in and check out was great, nothing difficult, room is very spacious and modern. The only issue is the beds. Two single beds put together but not really stable, they move around a lot. Free wifi was provided and it was good. I also used sauna, it is very strange, for men you have to have this shared sauna with women (there is a women only one). People sit in the sauna could saw man shower in the changing room.

I was sick for 2 days, stayed mainly at hotel. One of the reception staff told me there is no room service, so I went down to H2O restaurant at lobby level. Thomas a staff at restaurant was really kind and helpful, when I asked honey & lemon tea, he went around to make the tea for me even it was not on the menu. He is definitely a service star. Thank you Thomas!

It was present stay at Scadic Hamburg, I will definitely come back again if the price is right.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank melbcollege

Hej dear guest,

thank you very much for your feedback! We are sorry that you were sick and could not see much of Hamburg. Hopefully you could still make the best out of it. Of course we will forward this to Thomas, he will be happy to hear this.
We are sorry that you didn't like the mixed sauna, it is part of our concept and we cannot change it too quickly. Nevertheless we thank you for your review and look forward to welcome you again at the Scandic Hamburg Emporio.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

This hotel was absolutely fantastic. It was modern, clean, up to date and always busy. It was a great size and had the most stunning rooms and you felt like you were staying in a 'posh' hotel. I stayed here for business for 6 nights and felt very welcomed and safe during my stay. The food is fantastic and the breakfast selection is brilliant. I like the bar area as it sets a tone in the evening and during my stay, I lost my key and the staff were brilliant. They came to my room with me to check my passport which made me feel very safe indeed and reassured. We will hopefully be coming back again next year but I couldn't fault it at all. The showers were beautiful and hot and powerful and the cleaners came in and changed things everyday. The only thing I would ask is to get some English television channels as they were only in German or world news.

Room Tip: Any room is brilliant
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank HaleyJ1
Tobias A, Director of Sales at Scandic Hamburg Emporio, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Hej dear guest,

thank you so much for the great reviwe. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and our services so much. Regarding your point about the tv chennels we will talk to the responsible departments about that option, but since this is a major decision it might not be changed too quickly. We do our best to fulfill all the wishes and are very grateful for your positive feedback.
We look forward to welcome you again next year!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed two nights for a business trip. The hotel is new and with a modern design on walking distance of the city center. The room was very spacious with a big bathroom with bath. Staff was correct and friendly. Did not use breakfast so cannot give any information there. The only thing that I missed was room-service. In the lobby there is a corner where some sandwiches and snacks can be bought and brought to the room.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hej dear guest,
thank you very much for your positive feedback! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and the spacious room and the design of the hotel. Maybe next time you can try our breakfast buffet as well where we offer a lot of organic and healthy foods.
We are sorry that you would have preferred a room service. We do offer a pizza which you can order for take away at the bar and as you mentioned the little shop offers snacks, snadwiches and wraps etc.
We hope to see you soon again at the Scandic Hamburg Emporio.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel 6 nights 30 April -6 may by hotel club site. The staff were all friendly and helpful .l and we liked the room and especially the bathroom with its spacious shower. i like the room it is large , the bed big & comfort with ice pillow. the hotel clean & housekeeping very good. i like the modern desgin of the hotel ,luxury & DECOR OF THE HOTEL.
the wifi is hotspot but it is free & very good speed, the hotel offer good business center you can receive massages or print your booking free. i visit the gym it is very good.i like the restaurant who service very good food & i like the bar it is life with very good service.

THE LOCATION AMAZING closing to Planten un Blomen park &J ungfernstieg shopping street.

i do not like
1- i can not watch champion league game between Chelsea & atlitico Madrid because it is not in tv.
2- no room service.
3-they refuse call delivery restaurant for us .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TaherAlbaghliJulian
Tobias A, Director of Sales at Scandic Hamburg Emporio, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Hej dear guest,

thank you very much for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay - from your room to the restaurant. It is also nice to hear that you enjoyed the gym while your stay here. Did you know, that we also offer our guests guided running tours through the park Planten un Blomen or around the lake Alster.
We are sorry that you didn't like our room service concept. You can order a pizza from your room, and it will be ready for pick up 15 minutes later at the bar. In addition we have our small shop with fruits, snacks and freshly made sandwiches and wraps, which is open 24hours. We are sorry that this didn't live up to ypu rexpectations. We thank you for the positive feedback and hope to see you again soon.