Best Western Raphael Hotel Altona
Ranked #101 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed one night (as a stopover) in the Best Western Raphael Hotel Atona. We had a very pleasant and comfortable spacious room, although the setting was a bit 80s, but very clean with all the necessities in the room including slippers. Friendly staff who responded quickly to our request of changing room from a smoking room to a non-smoking one.
We were welcomed with sweets at the reception and also had a plate full of them waiting for us in our room (maybe due to our gold membership) but that was an unexpected kind gesture. The wi-fi connection was excellent. We also enjoyed a very lovely dinner at the hotel restaurant in the evening.

The hotel is located just 5 minutes walk to the Hamburg Altona station but parking facilities are also available at the its premises.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I've stayed in a few hotels in various German cties with work, and they are often a much lower standard than the UK.

The room at the best western looked promising and looked as though it had been recently decorated. However the room was 29.5oC (85F) and there was no air conditioining. The fan was rubbish and very old. I cannot understand why they wouldn't install air con or at least buy decent modern fans that actually work. Even with the windows open the room was too hot, and the hotel is next to a noisy rail station so its not ideal sleeping with the windows open.

I phoned and asked about air con, the first man said 'one moment' and hung-up. Someone phoned me back and said yes we have air-con in the windows?

Next day I asked for wifi and was given a long code (which is actually 2 codes, but they don't tell you this). When I got to my room I phoned reception and asked for the username and was told LAN1. I tried this over and over again with the long password and phoned reception and was told to come to reception. LAN1 isn't the username, the username is actually part of the code they give you and when I got to reception the lady was utterly useless and kept repeating the name of the wifi network???? By this time I restarted my computer and could no longer access the username/password page and when I asked for the http/www login page she said there isn't one. I explained there had to be one in order to input the username and password and she just kept saying LAN1??? Utterly useless and a complete waste of time travelling from the top floor. In the end I sorted it out myself.

Breakfast we needed a table for 4, but all the tables had 'Reserved' on them, so we pulled 2 tables together and was told off and asked why we didn't use a table for 4. I explained they had all been booked/reserved and she said 'yes reserved for parties of 4'? No comment - weird?

The lift only goes to the 3rd floor so you have to walk up to the other floors with bags/cases so not ideal.

Otherall I wouldn't voluntartily stay here as the rooms are too hot without aircon.
I said there must be a web address t

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The hotel is conveniently close to Altona station, even with a lot of luggage. The hotel staff was courteous and the rooms were small but cozy. The showers were clean and the beds were very comfortable. Hi-speed wifi was available at all times.
My only negative was that they provided two queen beds in a quadruple room which might be uncomfortable of you have a small child along with you.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights on the 5th July, for the rate we paid we were delighted, very nice hotel, right across from Altona train station and a 15 min walk to the Reeperbahn. Beds were comfortable, showers and washing facilties were very good, and a good selection of channels on the TV. My only negatives are that the rooms are fairly small (although adequate for what we needed) and they were very very hot, even with the window wide open I was waking up in a full swet, which made sleeping a little uncomfortable. I would stay here again when visiting Hamburg.

Room Tip: if in a large group, go for a treble room as they are much larger!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I picked this one because it was a best western and close to Altona station. The room was clean and up to the standard but extremely small. the TV was put close to the ceiling so unless laying on the bed you couldn't actually see it.

the bed was comfortable. the two low pillows combined made for a decent mid-height pillow.

my room was facing the street so it could be noisy in the morning and rush hours. If trains bother you then you could have a problem hearing them at night, but it was not really an issue for me.

internet present but very weak in the room. So weak only the laptop would pick the signal. the iphone and ipad would work only at the reception.

well connected to the city with the S-Bahn ad Altona and the many buses. Several good bars and restaurants nearby within 5 minute walk.

If you are in the city for a short stay a good option and relatively cheap.

Room Tip: better wifi signal on first floor in rooms up to 108
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2012

One staff member was friendly, the rest was clueless. Had to complain about the internet several times as it was completely rubbish, yet the staff had no idea how to do anything about it so there I was without internet all week pretty much (in the evenings).

Location is nice, rooms are ok...not much else to say about it. If you're looking forward to use internet in the evening, avoid this place.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed with my daughter in this hotel in February this year. Although near Altona Bahnhof, we did not experience noise disturbance (perhaps triple glazing?). Our room was small but perfectly formed - fantastic use of space. The room was modern and extremely comfortable. Breakfasts were delightful.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family