SIDE Design Hotel Hamburg
US$197
Official Site
  • Pool
1,909 results
All reviewslight switchesnespresso machinespa areanice hotelbusiness tripmodern stylesteam roomper daycentral locationcomfortable roomsbreakfast buffet isnice breakfastgreat roompublic transportmeateryeurobasement
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I recently had the good fortune of spending a lovely 3 nights at Side while in town for work. The hotel was absolutely fabulous, a true home away from home. There is absolutely no better place to stay in Hamburg.

Staff: Friendly, helpful, willing to go the extra mile whenever necessary. Staff remembered my name and would greet me whenever coming or going - a personal touch not normally found in city hotels.

Room: I was able to experience both a Superior Room and a Suite during my stay. My Superior Room was stylish, quiet, comfortable and extremely generous in size. The Suite was just spectacular - definitely larger than most London or NYC flats. I could have happily moved in for the long haul (and really wanted to do so!). Rooms were very clean. Mattress and linens were excellent quality. Houskeeping was excellent, toiletries were by REN and replenished daily.

Food: The daily lavish breakfast buffet should NOT be missed. Amazing variety, very fresh, extremely impressive. Dinner at the [m]eatery Bar + Restaurant was delicious. Waitstaff made excellent recommendations, service was friendly but professional, quality of the meal was excellent. I ordered room service one night for dinner, and my meal arrived perfectly cooked, piping hot, and very quickly.

Gym/Spa: Side has a lovely pool/gym/spa area that is such a nice treat after a long day in the city. The gym was fully equipped and it was fabulous to relax in the sauna and steam room before retiring for the night.

The property was perfectly located in the middle of the city. I will definitely stay there again the next time I'm in town. I have seen many of Hamburg's hotels... SIDE is without a doubt the cream of the crop.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
SIDE_Hamburg, General Manager at SIDE Design Hotel Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. We are very delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations. We are proud of being referred as the cream of the corp which is a very nice compliment!

We look forward to welcoming you soon again!

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Staff: very friendly, well trained and ready to help

Rooms: clean, super cosy bed, super soft toilet paper, nespresso machine in every room, windows can be opened

special tip: hotel bar with great atmosphere, good choice of ambient music, nice staff to chat with, 24h they serve appetizers and if they run out of something they offer very interesting and creative alternatives

Dear guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that the [m]eatery bar was to your satisfaction.

We hope to have you back soon inSIDE!

With best regards,

Reviewed 2 January 2013

I thought I would kick off the new year by writing about how a branded experience can surprise and delight through multiple touch points. I stayed in this hotel with my sister and parents over the Christmas period. We were doing some geneaological research into my Dad's family in Hamburg (the name Arning comes from Minden, Germany and many of them lived in Hamburg, there is even an Arningstrasse across the Elbe river).

It is such a relief being able to go onto Trip Advisor and give someone a positive review. My stay at SIDE was one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. I stayed at SIDE for the first time in 2001 just after it had opened and so relished the opportunity to go back. Whereas on the first occasion I was just wowed by the design, this time I was impressed by the whole The service was impeccable, the food is to be relished and the SIDE brand concept follows through on their promise of 5 star excellence throughout.

My experience is that some design / boutique hotels present a luminous patina of sophistication but that patina is often weaselly. It hovers over an absence of care, shoddy service and a soulless brand. This is true than more than one joint in NYC.

YOu know who you are. SIDE hotel, Hamburg in contrast is an establishment that exudes class and thoughtfulness from every pore. Everything worked, but there was a warmth to the kraftwerk. Vorsprung Durch Technik. It was like Audi built a soulful hotel without the brushed steel and the clinical edge and dodgy Liefenstahl choreography.

The atrium is a stunning space giving on the one hand a shrill and vertiginous welcome to the hotel. The narrowness of the space and the sense of floors extending up above is like something out of an updated German Expressionist painting. It dwarfs the visitor and gives the hotel a narrow and elongated profile but over time you get used to the scale and it is all counterbalanced by the warmth and friendliness of the service. This was knowledgeable and helpful to a fault. Ferret out the address of a jazz club for me? No problem. Do you have any sellotape to wrap these Christmas presents? Yes, sure and would you like me to decorate it with some ribbon too sir? Yes please. What is this lounge music you're playing? I like it. It's from a CD sir (I receive the playlist written out in immaculate handwriting later at dinner); thought they'd forgotten me but they hadn't.

Like other hotels I have been to I have admired (the Sukhothai in Bangkok), the use of black hardwood across decor and soft lighting created that brand idea of solidity with organicism and warmth so that the Bauhaus was balanced with some sequoia sinew.

The hotel mixed colours in different zones but this just worked. Luminous white and blue downstairs in the toilets, ochre in the spa and the walls of the elevator changed colour chameleon like as the lift speeded you from our ninth floor bedroom downstairs.

The rooms were fantastic, from the subtle click open of the doors to the SMEG fridge like cupboard, it was all white and sculpted but balancing the warmth and minimalism.

The restaurant agai followed the no nonsense profile of the other rooms but had hanging from the ceiling like a couple of chrysalis air bags Tizani Chandeliers - that we were told were worth about EUROS 15,000 each. Each of them was draped with filigree chain mail giving it that shabby chic, distressed feel. It somehow just complemented the ambience of the room however.

German breakfasts are always great but this one extended to all sorts of yoghurts, cured meats, halibut and sturgeon fish with a toasted bagel and of course the usual bewildering variety of bread (I could just about identify the pumpernickel!) on show.

The restaurant sources its meat from Argentina which means that the filet mignon was excellent. The burgers (and you might expect these to be okay give that we're in Hamburg!) were great - top quality ground meat served with a choice of French fries or allumettes. Overall, it was impossible not to be super impressed with this design hotel. It simply exceeded expectations at every turn - amenities, design, service, food and was actually quite reasonably priced too.

On arrival, I had it pegged alongside the Camino Real in Mexico City and the Sukhothai in Bangkok as my 2 favourite hotels in the world. I would say now that SIDE stands alone as not only a create hospitality experience but also a masterclass in experience branding - the funky lounge music in the atrium, the chunky menus, the neo-mosaic patterning in the pool. The only complaint I have is in being woken up by house keeping at 9am in the morning. But I guess this is Germany!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your fantastic feedback with us on TripAdvisor. Your detailed review is probably one of the best we ever received from a guest. We are absolutely excited about your words and proud of being referred as an excellent hotel which is a very nice compliment!

We look forward to welcoming you and your family soon again!

Reviewed 18 December 2012

The hotel was very stylish, helpful staff, good location in a fabulous city. The (m)eatery restaurant is well worth a visit too. On the down side the wifi was dreadful but they were actually changing provider that week so maybe this has been rectified. Also the bed was rather on the small side, along with the bedding.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the road side rather than the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
SIDE_Hamburg, General Manager at SIDE Design Hotel Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that the [m]eatery was to your satisfaction.

The switch onto our new WIFI provider has been successfully completed. As from now we offer complimentary 24 hours internet access for all guests. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you soon again!

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Spent a wonderful weekend at the Side. A friendly personalised welcome note on arrival together with a bowl of fruit, Ren toiletries, fast and complimentary wifi and all the other gadgets in the room, incredibly friendly staff including the housekeeper who warmly greeted us each day. We loved the design of the room, the reception areas and the bar was great and vibey. Sadly we didn't try m'eatery their steak restaurant but will do so next time. Fantastic experience!

1  Thank PeterAucamp
SIDE_Hamburg, General Manager at SIDE Design Hotel Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Dear guests,

We hope that you will have the time to try our steaks at the [m]eatery bar + restaurant during your next stay.

We hope to have you back soon inSIDE.

Best regards,