“Lovely rooms”

SIDE Design Hotel Hamburg
Ranked #38 of 319 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Chic rooms that are really well designed. Very reasonable prices considering its location. Lift is very slow in the mornings though. Better come out earlier as its small and takes a while. Staff was professional although I don't quite feel the 'warmth' which I get from other hotels around the world. Maybe they were busy.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
SIDE_Hamburg, General Manager at SIDE Design Hotel Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that the design of our rooms was to your satisfaction.

We are very concerned about your comments regarding the warmth of our staff and would like to apologize that you did not feel welcome in our hotel.

Dear guest, We look forward to welcoming you again and assure you of our best attention to make your next stay perfect.

There are newer reviews for SIDE Design Hotel Hamburg

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Rooms were incredibly clean and well-kept, the place looks very new all around. Front staff were friendly, spoke excellent english and efficient. The hotel is in an excellent location and only a 10 minute walk to the metro that goes to the airport for just a few euro.

High-end shopping is all around this neighborhood and it's really a great area.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DougCA

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are very delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you soon again!

Reviewed 5 March 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights and it was a really modern and clean hotel. 5 minutes walk the alster and a few minutes away from nearest train station. Staff were really friendly and spoke english well. My room had no view.

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that the location of our hotel was to your satisfaction.

We hope to have you back soon inSIDE.

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 February 2013

If you want to be in central Hamburg, this is a great hotel to stay at. The location is very convenient to all of central Hamburg and close to the U-bahn to get around. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms very clean and nice to look at. I may return to this hotel next time I'm in Hamburg but I may also shop around for another hotel.

However, I experienced some flaws that may or may not be important to you. I had a hard time getting onto their WiFi consistently which made doing any type of work or emailing challenging. One night I had to sit in the cold lobby for 2+ hours to do my work because it was the only place I could get a consistent signal. I tried the bar and also their 8th floor lounge but both places continued to drop me and not let me back on. I used both my laptop and my iPad with the same problems, across 4 days. I couldn't get a signal at all in my 8th floor room. This was very frustrating! They talk about their free WiFi, but it's not a benefit if you can't use it. I tried both their free (very slow) and paid (higher speed) WiFis, and had the same problems with both. To their credit, they gave me the higher speed WiFi with no charge.

Another challenging item was the bed - it was hard as a rock! My back and hips hurt immensely. It was just a thin mattress on a wooden platform - no support and very little cushioning. In addition, their breakfast was 24 Euro. I didn't try it because it was so expensive and went grocery shopping instead for yogurt and fruit. The mini-frig in the room is stocked with beverages that - if you take them out - you will be charged immediately for them, so you can't use the mini-frig at all. No tea or coffee service in room either. Lastly, the whole time I was there one of the elevators was shut down, in theory for "inspection" (that lasted 4 days?). This meant long wait times and queues at the one working elevator each morning and evening.

So although the hotel had a beautiful, modern design that is pleasing to look at, and friendly staff, it has some (I feel) serious flaws that made it much less accommodating for a traveler.

Room Tip: I was on the 8th floor, facing the inner courtyard (not the street) and it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Dorcas K

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a detailed review on TripAdvisor.

We are concerned about your comments regarding the hardness grade of your matress in your guest room and would like to apologize that you did not sleep well. In 2012 we replaced all mattresses in our rooms and suites with new TRECA DE PARIS luxury mattresses. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

We were able to plan this trip quite a long time ahead of when we were travelling so got a good deal on a 3 night stay in a suite.
In previous reviews I've complained about how gloomy some hotel rooms are and about an apparent lack of thought for how guests might actually use room facilities. SIDE won my heart therefore for having huge windows, so we could enjoy the winter sunshine (actual sunshine after so much rainy London greyness!), different lighting settings from bright, bright, BRIGHT to subtle, mirrors in convenient places, a handy hairdryer and that was just for starters!
The suite had everything we could have wanted: a seating area with a television, an ipod dock so we could listen to our music, a desk to work at, a table to dine at and even a small electric hob and coffee machine if we had wanted to use them! The bed was fabulously comfortable but probably the best thing of all was the bathroom with its massive bath, separate shower room, separate loo and lovely Ren products.
There was plenty of wardrobe space, a safe for valuables and a range of bits and bobs that come in handy (like a shoe buffer and sewing kit).
One of the most striking things about the lobby is the hanging meat on display opposite the reception desk! SIDE has a restaurant called [M]eatery, and they pride themselves on the quality of the food they serve. Given we were only on a short stay, the quality of the food was so good that we were happy to eat there twice and thought everything was delicious. Again, well worth trying if you do stay at the hotel or even if you visit Hamburg and stay somewhere else. Not cheap, but good value and novel. The bar was often quite a busy hub for people meeting up so it had a good atmosphere.
Breakfast was not included in our room rate and at 24 euro per person was not cheap but it was certainly very good! Well worth having at least once if you stay here, but we found a great alternative at the bakery/cafe just around the corner.
Our only gripe really would be the lack of free wi-fi, although this doesn't seem to be unique to the SIDE Hotel. Just 60 minutes were available until you were required to pay. There are plenty of Starbucks in Hamburg which mean you can get around this lack of wi-fi.
The SIDE Hotel is clearly designed to be fun as well as comfortable and functional but for us the staff made it one of the best places we've ever stayed in and we would definitely recommend this hotel. There were always staff at the reception desk and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them - they booked us a taxi when we needed one, took our post for us and warned us of a strike at the airport which saved us missing our flight home.
As I've been writing this I've remembered more things I'd like to mention but I think the best thing I can say in conclusion is go to the SIDE Hotel and experience it for yourselves!

Room Tip: We booked quite a long time in advance to get a good rate so if you can plan ahead it's worth lo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
SIDE_Hamburg, General Manager at SIDE Design Hotel Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Dear guests,

Thank you very much for sharing your fantastic feedback with us on TripAdvisor! We are very delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations.

We hope to have you back soon inSIDE!

Reviewed 21 January 2013

I recently had the good fortune of spending a lovely 3 nights at Side while in town for work. The hotel was absolutely fabulous, a true home away from home. There is absolutely no better place to stay in Hamburg.

Staff: Friendly, helpful, willing to go the extra mile whenever necessary. Staff remembered my name and would greet me whenever coming or going - a personal touch not normally found in city hotels.

Room: I was able to experience both a Superior Room and a Suite during my stay. My Superior Room was stylish, quiet, comfortable and extremely generous in size. The Suite was just spectacular - definitely larger than most London or NYC flats. I could have happily moved in for the long haul (and really wanted to do so!). Rooms were very clean. Mattress and linens were excellent quality. Houskeeping was excellent, toiletries were by REN and replenished daily.

Food: The daily lavish breakfast buffet should NOT be missed. Amazing variety, very fresh, extremely impressive. Dinner at the [m]eatery Bar + Restaurant was delicious. Waitstaff made excellent recommendations, service was friendly but professional, quality of the meal was excellent. I ordered room service one night for dinner, and my meal arrived perfectly cooked, piping hot, and very quickly.

Gym/Spa: Side has a lovely pool/gym/spa area that is such a nice treat after a long day in the city. The gym was fully equipped and it was fabulous to relax in the sauna and steam room before retiring for the night.

The property was perfectly located in the middle of the city. I will definitely stay there again the next time I'm in town. I have seen many of Hamburg's hotels... SIDE is without a doubt the cream of the crop.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. We are very delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations. We are proud of being referred as the cream of the corp which is a very nice compliment!

We look forward to welcoming you soon again!

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Staff: very friendly, well trained and ready to help

Rooms: clean, super cosy bed, super soft toilet paper, nespresso machine in every room, windows can be opened

special tip: hotel bar with great atmosphere, good choice of ambient music, nice staff to chat with, 24h they serve appetizers and if they run out of something they offer very interesting and creative alternatives

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that the [m]eatery bar was to your satisfaction.

We hope to have you back soon inSIDE!