“Best experience in Hamburg”
Review of Dialog im Dunkeln

Dialog im Dunkeln
Ranked #4 of 353 things to do in Hamburg
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The idea is simple: In completely darkened rooms blind people lead small groups of guests through an exhibition in which everyday situations are experienced altogether differently, without eyesight. In the dark, the daily routine becomes a new experience. A reversion of roles is created: sighted people are confronted with different ways of perception; blind people provide them with security and a sense of orientation transmitting a world without pictures.In addition to the exhibition, we offer Dinner in the Dark, Seminars & Trainings in the dark and Dialogue in Silence.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I found it very interesting and I would say that it changed me a little bit. It is not only to understand how different/difficult can be everyday life in a dark world, but it also makes you re-discover the pleasure to use the other senses.

1  Thank Alberto A
"ordering drinks"
"bilingual tour"
"eye opening experience"
in 2 reviews
"an english speaking guide"
"eye opener"
"ask questions"
"different parts"
"book in advance"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 18 June 2014

One quick disclaimer - the tour is in German, so be prepared with a friend who can translate for you or brush up on your Deutsch. I speak German so it was a great experience for me. I went with a sight-impaired friend, and it was really insightful to feel what she must feel like every day - having to navigate in the dark, use your other senses to experience life, and sometimes rely on others for assistance when things get challenging or frustrating. There are many things to take in and do, and you get an entirely fresh understanding of what it's like to sense objects, surroundings and people in other ways without relying on vision.

3  Thank shelblake
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Yes for this, how can we human take things for granted. Undertook 60 Mins schedule and was overwhelmed. Other four senses- Touch, hear, Smell and taste overtook sensory vision. Initial 10Mins is scary post which it was pure fun. Strongly recommended to rediscover yourself.

3  Thank Sid G
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I did the full 90 minutes and my group comprised of English speakers and German speakers so I guess we took a bit longer than others. It was such a powerful and interesting experience. We walked through complete darkness with our canes through what was supposedly to be parks, warehouse, boathouse, bar etc. It was great ordering and drinking in complete darkness and asking our guide about our curious matters. I think it opened up new senses and perceptions about the blind and being visually impaired.

4  Thank Jullieeeee