“Modern rooms, 5-star experience”

Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Ranked #32 of 322 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Likes
-Very stylish and modern room, good size
-Separate shower and bath, also very modern
-Excellent location. 5 minute walk to town hall with numerous shops and shopping
-2 minute walk to U-bahn (subway/skytrain) station
-Coffee machine
-Very good service throughout my stay
-FREE WIFI
-Heavenly bed and bedding
-Good view

Dislikes
-Nice wellness area with pool/sauna but no hot tub

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,644)

Reviewed 3 December 2011

While I was only at this hotel for one day, I nonetheless found it to be an excellent hotel for the business traveler. Definitely recommended.

My room was quite spacious and comfortable with a nice desk area and a small couch where I could watch TV or do some reading. Lots of plugs and technology integration including one USB port for charging a device and the ability to view a presentation (or a movie) on the TV.

My only complaint is that the queen sized bed is actually two doubles put together. Overall it wasn't bad, but felt like I had to pick a side and stick with it.

The hotel has multiple options for food including a sushi restaurant, a bar, and a more traditional restaurant. Breakfast is in the restaurant in the morning. While the choices are quite tremendous (multiple options of bread, cheeses, fruit, yogurt, meats, and warm items) the 26 euro price tag is a bit high.

I would recommend to a friend if they were traveling to Hamburg!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stay in this wonderful hotel in August . Hotel has very nice decoration, check in was very fast and room was very cozy with very comfortable beds and very good pillows and bathroom has l'ocittane products which are very good . Everyday room was very clean ,and personal was very kind .Hotel is very close to everything in hamburg .we will be back soon .

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Really nice and modern hotel with a nothing but perfect service level. There was no alcohol in the minibar, but there were beers, wine, redbull, organge juice and other mixers, that we found a little odd.
The big spa area just adds a few bonus point after having chrismas shopped in 5 C.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Friendly Hotel, nice rooms, good quality for sleeping, very close to city center, shopping streets and also for clubs&restaurants. It has good accomodation. Comfortable fitness and wellness area. Breakfast is good. Also it has conference rooms, so good hotel for business trips. The wellness and spa is also very good :)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I was expecting an average hotel chain with nothing special because of the name. I have to say I was very happy to stay there!

The room I had was really really big and all new with some mood lighting, very cool furniture and all functional with plugs everywhere (what a traveller needs). I enjoyed sitting on the sofa and watching TV while browsing on my iPad. To be honest, I think it's a bit crappy they charge you for the WiFi in this day and age, but then most hotels do, sadly. To be honest, I was surprised by the multimedia system which was very fast and with a beautiful interface (normally hotels have a very 90's menu that takes ages to load and it just looks and feels ugly).

The shower and the toilet were nice and spacious. The breakfast was quite good and the decor throughout the hotel was really nice and modern with a touch of art deco meets lounge. The bed was REALLY REALLY comfortable, I can't remember sleeping that soundly other than my bed for a long time with lovely soft pillows, matress and duvet. It really was very comfortable and it was a proper double bed with normal non-german pillows.

Because I was only there for a night on a business trip I couldn't make use of the other restaurants or the Spa available to guests but from the pictures it looked lovely.

I will definitely try to stay in a Sofitel in the future - all of them seem REALLY nice.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jonathan A
Reviewed 20 October 2011

The location is behind the Rathaus, and within walking distance of the harbour front. The nearby S-Bahn has a direct connection to the airport. I chose the Sofitel because my Accorhotels card should give me a late check-out and a better room, which I got.

My room, in 'design' grey, was on the canal side, with a small balcony. The mattress was far too soft - two nights were enough. The bathroom had a separate shower, but looked rather lavatorial. I would have preferred a wash basin that was more practical, and less 'design'. The TV choice was good for a Brit, less so for Francophones. Actually, there was little of the French ambience which Sofitel markets (that is not a complaint), apart from some 'bonjours' which sound silly in Hamburg to someone coming from a French-speaking city. Am I supposed to reply in French ?

The designated breakfast room is a white box, but you can also use the adjoining resto looking onto the hotel entrance. Even at my 15 euros reduced rate, the breakfast was hardly good value. Better value is the quick lunch at about 13 euros. This is served on the canal side, but the view is blocked by a counter serving no obvious purpose. The bar looks like a Bedouin tent. My second evening, the resto and breakfast room had been hijacked by a conference group, and the overspill was eating in the bar. Then a three piece band started up in the bar. I took my drink in the lobby, which the bar staff did not like (there was also a bit of attitude from the mini-bar man, who said I should be out my room by 14h30, although I had the room to 15h). I took my second breakfast late to avoid the conference group - but they had cleaned out the fruit salad which I prefer to something cooked.

The reception staff were confident, and the kindly concierge was good at keeping back my newspaper for me. I would return, for the room (and for the swimming pool) but I would eat and drink elsewhere.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo