“A bit disappointed”

Ranked #25 of 317 Hotels in Hamburg
Sydney, Australia
“A bit disappointed”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We expected a lot from Sofitel as we had had wonderful experience in Sofitel Beijing. The Sofitel in Hamburg is very clean and very close to the Town Hall and shops. However, the restaurant is not opened during most of the time we stayed. We had to look for food outside during East Sunday and Monday. Everything, other than coffee in the room is extra and expensive. There is no decent size swimming pool. The so called pool is so tiny that I can swim from one end to another within 5 strokes.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Dear aressiu,

thank you very much for taking some time to inform us about your opinion and your impressions of our hotel.
We assure you that it is our highest ambition to have satisfied guests who are looking forward to return to our hotel. Therefore it is much to our regret that your stay in our hotel did not perfectly match with your plan and expectations. Please allow me to express my apologies.

Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve. Regarding the restaurant opening hours, kindly be informed that our Dinner restaurant “Ticino” is open daily from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. The business restaurant, “Le Bistro du Sofitel”, was closed on Easter Monday due to bank holiday, however, you may order snacks and different light dishes at the bar.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

With kind regards
Gilles Felgen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Checked in tonight at around 2100 hours and had to wait for 20 minutes for the process. The was taken to a room on the ground floor. The room looked great but the toilet was for disable and there was no bath tub. The sink is so low which made it difficult for use.
Complained to the reception was told that the hotel was full. The room was the same cat as I booked, it was clean and everything in order. Made me felt like I was making a fuss out of nothing. After all, a room is a room...
Will never come back to Sofitel again.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Patrickhillary
Dear Patrickhillary,

thank you very much indeed for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincere apologies.
It is our goal thanks to high Sofitel standards to make your stay always the most comfortable one.

Criticism and hints how to do things better, will help us to reach our goals and increase our guest’s satisfaction. We are very grateful that you described your experience with our Front Office which will help us to improve.
Moreover, I would like to apologize for the fact that you were not informed that you were assigned a suite for disabled guests. This was not intentionally done, and I kindly ask you to accept my apologies.
In addition I am really sorry that we were not able to assign you another room due to high occupancy.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and we do hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Our family stayed here for 5 days and it was a comfortable place to stay after so much walking around the city and after day trips to nearby towns. The kids liked the amenities, the breakfast buffet, and the very spacious lobby. It was walking distance to the shopping strip, the rathaus and the public transport systems (bus and train). However, the cleaning of the rooms were not done daily. We had to call to have our rooms cleaned. But aside from that it was a very memorable stay. A bonus was meeting a Filipino staff who gave us tips on the local hang outs, how to go around the city and even invited us to attend a social gathering of Filipinos and we appreciated that.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear flyingfriendlyskies,

thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a positive experience at the hotel.
I am sorry to read that your room was cleaned only after your follow up. Kindly accept my sincere apologies. This is not our usual standard, and the Executive Housekeeper informed.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.

milwaukee
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I had an excellent stay and great service while I was in Hamburg for business. I didn't have a lot of time to see the city, but it seemed conveniently located for shopping and walking much of the city. The hotel has a very modern feel, and my room was spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 680stevea
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Dear steve a,

Thank you very much for having commented your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and that you´ll have the chance to spend more time in Hamburg.

Prague
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Stay here if you want a convenient business oriented hotel with minimum interaction with anyone in the hotel. But stay elsewhere if you want atmosphere, a warm bar to chat in, a happy and helpful front desk and memories that will bring you back. The Sofitel in London does all of that, so its not the fault of the brand. The concierge staff were brilliant but they couldn't make up for the reception desk and some staff who seemed solely focused on "processing" you as quickly and as impersonally as possible. When asked for help, they did the absolute minimum and seemed to lack any knowledge of the area around the hotel - too much effort. It occurred several times during our three day stay and unfortunately we won't be back. The hotel management needs to inject some charm into their front of house staff and to make the whole foyer a place that welcomes and provides a good experience. Right now it and the reception staff are soulless. Try one of the classic Hamburg hotels and you will immediately find the difference. There at least there the bars are also not like some temporary curtained off shed in the middle of a bland railway/airport terminal like foyer.

Room Tip: High floor - suggest 8th floor as then you have a view over the city and above the canal
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fliegenkiwi
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear fliegenkiwi,

thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I am sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

England
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Check in staff were friendly - had to fill in a time-consuming form which seemed surplus to requirements......
Room was very clean. Decor felt somewhat clinical and sparse although sofa at the end of the bed was a good touch.
Bar staff very friendly and attentive.
What pulled down the rating was the dreadful check out process - it took far too long and clearly needs reviewing. There were two queues with 4/5 people in each queue all of whom were getting frustrated with the lengthy process. Hope they change the process soon as it was a disappointing end to a good stay.

• Stayed March 2013
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Cbear0510,

Criticism and hints how to do things better, will help us to reach our goals and increase our guest’s satisfaction. We are very grateful that you described your check out experience which will help us to improve.
Moreover I am particularly happy to read that all other services matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.

We hope, you find a second home when travelling to Hamburg and we are looking forward to welcoming you back at to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 8 April 2013

It has been one of frequent return calls at a hotel already known from previous trips. So no surprises expected. Great location, we are corporate customers - must be a great stay.
But not this time. Check-in as swift as usual but the room - well you find it only at night. There is a city rail in Hamburg and it operates also at night. And if you are "lucky" to get a street side room - you feel it and hear it as if the train was going through your room. Don't believe my words! Try it!

In the morning I asked for the room to be changed to the canal side (I was staying two nights). And the receptionist refused saying that there are no rooms available, and I already got an upgrade... Basically - I should feel delighted that I was permitted to stay at the hotel at all! No arguments accepted - not possible.

How nice it was to get the room changed within next 15 minutes after discussion with Sales Manager! The rooms were available and the rate was not a problem. It seems that the receptionist had a bad day - one of those when it is easier to say "NOW" then "YES".

we have 2 cooperating hotels in Hamburg. Next time I will surely try the other one...

Room Tip: By all means do not accept street side rooms even if they pay you for that!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank aszanti
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear aszanti,

We assure you that it is our highest ambition to have satisfied guests who are looking forward to return to our hotel. Therefore it is much to our regret that your stay in our hotel did not perfectly match with your plan and expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
I am surprised to read that you did not enjoy your stay. Indeed, during your last visit, you were very satisfied with the room facing the Alter Wall and I ask you to kindly contact our Quality Manager (H5395-QM@sofitel.com) in order to provide him with your room number so that we can check the soundproof of the room.

Dear aszanti, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.