“Excellent place to stay in Hamburg!!!”

Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Ranked #26 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Frankfurt, Germany
“Excellent place to stay in Hamburg!!!”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Hamburg is a beautiful city, and trust me, The Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall is a great place to stay in. Of course, this having been my first visit to Hamburg and never having stayed at any other hotel in Hamburg, I will not try to compare the hotel to other hotels. Instead, I will just review the best parts of the hotel, which is almost everything.

To start of, the welcome when I reached the Hotel made me feel like someone special. The check-in was a breeze and the receptionist was very efficient. Felt nice to be asked how my journey was. Felt nice. There were bell-hops to help with your luggage, but since mine was a short vacation and I had only a small bag, I managed it myself. My room was exactly as I had requested. High floor with a great view of the canal. Traveling alone, I had booked a single room. The room was spacious, well lit with an extremely comfortable bed. After a week of working very hard, this vacation was mostly to be about resting and I got a couple of great nights sleep.

The breakfast in the hotel was excellent. So many choices and everything well prepared. I always try to have breakfast at my hotel since it is the most important meal of the day and I don't like to interrupt my sightseeing to during the day to find a good place to lunch. So, I truly appreciate the nice breakfast I had at the hotel. Dinner at the restaurant Ticino in the hotel was also a great experience. To begin with, there weren't much choices for me in the main courses as I don't eat most meats except chicken. But the waitress very kindly offered to make me a chicken dish with sides - the chicken breast with a side of roasted potatoes and rice was excellent. I must complement the chef and also thank the waitress.

The first day the Concierge was a bit busy, but I got enough help from the receptionist at the front desk on sightseeing options. She also showed me where to go to find bars which show football as I didn't want to miss the last day of the football season. The hotel is just a 5 min walk from the suburban train stop Stadthausbrucke and the metro stop Rodingsmarkt. So it is very easy to get from and the main sightseeing spots. Many spots are also within walking distance from the hotel and the City Sightseeing Roundtrip bus stops right in front of the hotel.

Finally, the checkout was a breeze. Everything was perfectly prepared and it took only a few moments to pay the extras (as I had per booked the room online). I stored my luggage as my train back was in the evening and finished my final day of sightseeing.

Hamburg is a beautiful city and I would definitely be visiting again. After staying at the Sofitel Hamburg, I don't think I will stay at another hotel when in Hamburg. Thank you, Sofitel for my making my stay great, I definitely recommend this hotel to all...

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor with a view of the canal...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear chuiku2,

thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and for taking the time to write this feedback.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as we have committed ourselves to make you feel at home while away.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will be happy to pass your feedback over to my team, of course.
Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.
In addition it is a pleasure to read that the great morning buffet with french flair met your expectations and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Dear chuiku2, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Gilles Felgen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The room was very spacious, bed very comfortable, pillows very soft, location was terrific, we walked every where, very central. The only down fall is that nothing opened on Sundays and public holidays. Try the local food extremely nice.

Room Tip: On the even side you have the river as a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Perthfunmum,

we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a positive experience at the hotel.

Dear Perthfunmum, once again thank you for having chosen the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall to stay at and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

milano
Reviewed 20 May 2013

The reason for being in Hamburg was the big Port fair. The port colours itself, food and shops fill the docks, flags are everywhere and every kind of boat meets there for the Parade. Careless of this big event the hotel was relaxing and quite, the rooms are big, clean, with nice design forniture free wifi internet and 32" tv. The most interesting places to see in Hamburg are near, just a few minutes away. The hotel is also on a canal and this offers a nice view from most of the rooms. Nothing negative it has been a very nice experience.

Room Tip: The ones facing the canal offer a special view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear erny74,

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Dear erny71, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Gilleleje
Reviewed 13 May 2013

You can just enjoy cool design, pleasant decor, top functionality and perfect service from very friendly staff. Far better than any hotel we have stayed in.
Rooms and suites are just much better designed and arranged - offering you premium comfort. Nothings missing and everythings working perfectly.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear BNAndersen

thank you very much again that you took the time to comment your stay.
It is nice to read that the modern room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom makes your stay an unforgettable experience.

We are glad you have found a second home when travelling to Hamburg and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Was with my family for a vacation. The property is great, lovely view and central. proximity to the station, shopping area etc. However, the people manning the property are extremely warm and hospitable. It was home away from home. They took pains in guiding us to the various places to see and finding schedule and doing reservations for us.

Thank you very much to the staff for making it such an lovely stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Dear Pbhandari,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I had a circumstance that made me a bit of a high maintenance customer and the staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. Also, the bed is so comfortable - the best sleep I've ever had at a hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Dear mad_sash,

Thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and as well for taking the time to write your feedback.
It is nice to read that the room with the soothing MyBed concept makes your stay an unforgettable experience. Kindly be informed that you can purchase our special “My Bed” concept to enjoy the same comfortable sleep and Sofitel experience at home. Please do not hesitate to contact our Quality Manager ( Tel : +49 40 369 500 or h5395-QM@sofitel.com) for more information.
I would like to thank you for your positive comments and pass them over to my team.

Dear mad_sash, once again thank you for having chosen the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall to stay at and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Sincerely
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The hotel has a very good location, less than 1 km from the old city center. I was here for four days on business, the staff was very pleasant and polite. I asked for a riverside view room and I got it. The rooms are modern and clean, the breakfast is varied. The hotel has free Wi-Fi all over, but you can choose for a cable internet connection in the room. Check-in and check-out were short and simple. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a riverside room at a higher floor to have a better view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Dear Eric Andrei B,

Thanks to comments from our guests we are able to continually improve our high level of quality and service.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us as we are committed ourselves to make you feel at home when staying at our hotel.

Dear Eric Andrei B, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.