“Very good hotel - but the restaurant service!!!”

Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Ranked #26 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Frankfurt, Germany
“Very good hotel - but the restaurant service!!!”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We stayed two days in the sofitel in Hamburg. The area where the hotel is located is amazing, you reach all the sights and shopping area in 10min. The check in was fast, the staff very friendly. The room spacious and really nice. It was very clean and had a very big bathroom. The Spa area nice, but other people where very loud and some even took a bath in the pool naked after the sauna - this was not acceptable and the staff should have said something! We also had dinner one night. There were about 12 guests and 2 waiter. The guy was very friendly but seemed very busy. The woman was super unfriendly and had quiet some attitude. We waited 20min to get water and waited another 40min for our food (that was by the way delicious). That is not acceptable in a 5 star restaurant!!!! We even had to pour our own wine. Funny: for house guest you get 20% off - well if a 0,75 water is 9 euros or a beer 6,50 Euros, then you can imagine that the 20% and more are allready on top of the prices!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Dear Martin2010187337,

thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I am sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
It is our goal thanks to high Sofitel standards to make your stay always the most comfortable one.

Criticism and hints how to do things better, will help us to reach our goals and increase our guest’s satisfaction. We are very grateful that you described your experience in our Restaurant “Ticino” and Seagull Spa which will help us to improve.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and we do hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Gilles Felgen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Arriving at 11 pm did not give me much time to appraise the hotel but everything I saw was very good and for a business traveller a good option. What i liked was the hotel itself, large, spacious, lifts were quick. Reception was polite and organised. Breakfast was great. The room though not over large was very comfortable. Mini bar prices were not crazy, 4.5 euros for a beer. Free bottle of water in the room. Heating worked. So, yes, a good choice indeed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear beesbeesbees,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Kindly be informed that if you will book the next higher room category the room will be more or less 9 sqm larger than the Single room.
Moreover I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Very good position, in the centre of the city, few steps from Rathaus and 1 minute to S-Bahn stop "Stadthausbrucke".
It's a huge hotel with 8 floors of rooms. At ground floor a charming bar and restaurant where it is also served a complete breakfast (I'd rather say brunch since you can eat almost anything!!), in the basement there is a spa but I did not have time to visit since I was in Hamburg for work.
My room was facing the channel, really nice view. Bed extremely confortable.
100% suggested!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Trickypv,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.
In addition it is a pleasure to read that the great morning buffet with french flair met your expectations and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Oslo, Norway, Norwegen, Norge, Noreg, Noruega, Norvege
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Pros: Location, room size/space and room facilities
Cons: Beds, street view

We stayed at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall in May 2013 and were very pleased.
The Airport train (ca.30 minutes ride) (Line S1) will take you to Stadthausbrücke, which is about 50m from the hotel entrance. (Cost EUR 2,95 per person 2013, mabye less, but that's what we paid at the vending machine at the airport)

The Double Luxery Room was spacious and lived up to the expectation we had and then some. We had street view, (not the best views, but not of too much conecern for us either).

This is a 5 star hotel, but our room was in need of some improvement. The closet window had a huge crack, the tiles had some tiny cracks, (will probably at sometime occur when it's used by guests after guests). Besides that, the roome was big and clean.
The bed may be great for many (did I just now sound like José Mourinho?), but for a Tempur bed owner, the bed was not as at home. The mattress slanted on the side and it was too soft.
There are plenty of closet space, big sofa, plenty of EU electricial outlets, big flat screen tv and more in this heavy equipped luxery double room.
The bathroom had the shower separated from the bathtub.
We did not use other facilities on the hotel even if Spa was included.
We were woken up at 9 am on Saturday by someone from the staff asking something about "room service". Luckily we are "early birds".
We booked this room via Bookings.com and got lots of discount.

Our general opion of the room and Hamburg experience is "Very Good". We have stayed at 4 star hotels where room has been of equal quality or maybe more. This hotel score lots on location. The best of Hamburg is withing 10-15 minutes walk from this hotel. Hamburg is a big city (# 2nd in Germany, #6 in EU), but you don't get this feeling. We felt safe all the time.

Why go to Hamburg?
- Miniature Wonderland
It's a must for any man! Even women will find this miniature model train museum facinating. It's a detailed master piece of art.
- Dungeon
The English tour starts at 10 am (only one tour per day).
- Rheinische Republik Restaurant Hamburg, Stadthausbrücke. Great food and beer to a reasonable price.
- St Michaelis Church "Michel", Englische Planke
Save this jewel to later in your holiday, but a must. This the best viewing point of Hamburg and an elevator will take you to the top. About EUR 1 discount with Hamburg Card
- Planten und blumen
Park which is one of the better ones. Has everything a park should offer and more. Plants (trees, bushes, flowers), benches and sun beds, fountains, lake and ponds, birds and a waterfall.
- Joh. Albrecht bar/restaurant/brewery. Great beer!

For more details about Hamburg, check out my travel blog:

1 Thank HenrikSR
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear HendrikSR,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.

If the soothing MyBed concept were not to your satisfaction, please let us know before your next arrival, so that we can remove the MyBed in order for you to sleep on a harder mattress.
Moreover I would like to ask you to kindly contact our Quality Manager (H5395-QM@sofitel.com) in order to provide him with your room number so that we can check the condition of the room.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Hamburg is a beautiful city, and trust me, The Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall is a great place to stay in. Of course, this having been my first visit to Hamburg and never having stayed at any other hotel in Hamburg, I will not try to compare the hotel to other hotels. Instead, I will just review the best parts of the hotel, which is almost everything.

To start of, the welcome when I reached the Hotel made me feel like someone special. The check-in was a breeze and the receptionist was very efficient. Felt nice to be asked how my journey was. Felt nice. There were bell-hops to help with your luggage, but since mine was a short vacation and I had only a small bag, I managed it myself. My room was exactly as I had requested. High floor with a great view of the canal. Traveling alone, I had booked a single room. The room was spacious, well lit with an extremely comfortable bed. After a week of working very hard, this vacation was mostly to be about resting and I got a couple of great nights sleep.

The breakfast in the hotel was excellent. So many choices and everything well prepared. I always try to have breakfast at my hotel since it is the most important meal of the day and I don't like to interrupt my sightseeing to during the day to find a good place to lunch. So, I truly appreciate the nice breakfast I had at the hotel. Dinner at the restaurant Ticino in the hotel was also a great experience. To begin with, there weren't much choices for me in the main courses as I don't eat most meats except chicken. But the waitress very kindly offered to make me a chicken dish with sides - the chicken breast with a side of roasted potatoes and rice was excellent. I must complement the chef and also thank the waitress.

The first day the Concierge was a bit busy, but I got enough help from the receptionist at the front desk on sightseeing options. She also showed me where to go to find bars which show football as I didn't want to miss the last day of the football season. The hotel is just a 5 min walk from the suburban train stop Stadthausbrucke and the metro stop Rodingsmarkt. So it is very easy to get from and the main sightseeing spots. Many spots are also within walking distance from the hotel and the City Sightseeing Roundtrip bus stops right in front of the hotel.

Finally, the checkout was a breeze. Everything was perfectly prepared and it took only a few moments to pay the extras (as I had per booked the room online). I stored my luggage as my train back was in the evening and finished my final day of sightseeing.

Hamburg is a beautiful city and I would definitely be visiting again. After staying at the Sofitel Hamburg, I don't think I will stay at another hotel when in Hamburg. Thank you, Sofitel for my making my stay great, I definitely recommend this hotel to all...

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor with a view of the canal...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear chuiku2,

thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and for taking the time to write this feedback.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as we have committed ourselves to make you feel at home while away.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will be happy to pass your feedback over to my team, of course.

Dear chuiku2, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Perth
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The room was very spacious, bed very comfortable, pillows very soft, location was terrific, we walked every where, very central. The only down fall is that nothing opened on Sundays and public holidays. Try the local food extremely nice.

Room Tip: On the even side you have the river as a view.
Dear Perthfunmum,

we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a positive experience at the hotel.

Dear Perthfunmum, once again thank you for having chosen the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall to stay at and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

milano
Reviewed 20 May 2013

The reason for being in Hamburg was the big Port fair. The port colours itself, food and shops fill the docks, flags are everywhere and every kind of boat meets there for the Parade. Careless of this big event the hotel was relaxing and quite, the rooms are big, clean, with nice design forniture free wifi internet and 32" tv. The most interesting places to see in Hamburg are near, just a few minutes away. The hotel is also on a canal and this offers a nice view from most of the rooms. Nothing negative it has been a very nice experience.

Room Tip: The ones facing the canal offer a special view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear erny74,

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Dear erny71, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.