“Birthday Treat”

Ranked #26 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Birthday Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Great hotel in super location near centre and attractions. Easy to get to by S Bahn from airport.

Had a Junior Suite which was well appointed and large enough for the three of us.

Very helpful staff who went out of their way to make out sons birthday special. Concierge was particularly helpful with restaurants, local information and advice.

The quality of the food at breakfast was excellent but a little expensive for the whole family.

We used the spa which was really relaxing and our son was made welcome too.

Room service was good quality and efficient.

Overall a great choice of hotel for location, quality and staff. They made it clear that families were very welcome which doesn't always happen .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Angela L,

thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and for taking the time to write this feedback.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as we have committed ourselves to make you feel at home while away.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will be happy to pass your feedback over to my team, of course.
Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.
Kindly be informed that we offer different choices of breakfast, so please do not hesitate to contact our restaurant staff during your next stay.
Dear Angela L, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Gilles Felgen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dusseldorf, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

We recently stayed at the Sofitel to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We stayed in a junior suite that was spacious and comfortable. Service received was very good, friendly and polite. Nice touch having apples at reception to take! Buffet breakfast was amazing! There was building work opposite but this didn't disturb us. Extremely comfortable beds as always in sofitels... We are now considering buying one in fact!

Only criticisms would be... Seems crazy that you still have to pay for the Internet, we felt it should be provided free. Also, we spent sometime in the spa and had a couple of treatments. The pool water was so cold, we didn't stay in long and to warm up I ordered a hot chocolate. We were charged for this and I felt that it should have been included especially as we'd booked treatments.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Hannah_2912,

Thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.
In addition it is a pleasure to read that the great morning buffet with french flair met your expectations and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
Kindly be informed that we offer free Internet wifi in all areas of the hotel.
In addition, I would be pleased if you contact our Quality Manager ( Tel : +49 40 369 500 or H5395-QM@sofitel.com) with more details regarding your spa experience. This is not our standard that you have to pay for your hot beverage after the treatment.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Very comfortable beds but the kingsize bed in the luxury room was formed by two beds together. There was a gap covered by a sheet and one night I rolled into it and woke with a very uncomfortable shoulder.

The room service was excellent. The Spa was very relaxing and the Spa staff were extremely helpful.

My only complaint- The restaurant staff failed to serve my fiancé and I after seating us. We waited for fifteen minutes before walking to the lake to eat on a boat with a far better view.

I would recommend Sofitel for a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed October 2013
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear lanmaccy,

we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Criticism and hints how to do things better, will help us to reach our goals and increase our guest’s satisfaction. We are very grateful that you described your experience in our Restaurant “Ticino” which will help us to improve.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I stayed in the Hamburg Sofitel with friends in September

As an Accor Platinum I received a welcome gift (Chocolate) and two drinks vouchers, no upgrade was provided but I understand the hotel was supposedly full.

Service experienced was excellent throughout. We stayed in one of the larger rooms and had a nice view over the Canal. A friend stayed in one of the 'Classic' rooms, which was much, much smaller so should be avoided if budget allows.

Breakfast was good and the service at and position of the outdoor terrace of the bar was great.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Superbenj,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
Moreover I would like to thank you very much for your understanding that you don´t got an upgrade this time due to the high occupancy.

Grasse, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay here and we weren't disappointed. I have been a fan of the Sofitel bed system and it has never let me down. We had two very good nights' sleep here in a comfortable and very well appointed Junior Suite. Our friend had an executive room which was also large and well equipped. Have given it a 4 out of 5 because of the building work opposite which was not mentioned and which woke our friend early on Saturday morning. Another high-light is the amazing breakfast buffet - an incredible choice and very well cooked/presented. All the staff were very helpful and efficient.

Stayed October 2013
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear azur06,

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern suites with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.
We are really sorry that you were bothered by the construction works opposite the hotel. We do, as you and all our guests, hope that these works will be finished as soon as possible.

Dear azur06, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

FVG
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Well..Sofitel worldwide is quite of a reassuring statement and the Hamburg location has a great welcome . Desk staff is willing to help and give you all the info you need.
My room was one of the smallest but spotless clean and fluffy. The only no is the uninviting smell of chemicals
The hotel is located very close to the old part of town and right on the back street of Rathaus (astonishing)and the Ubahn is on the corner

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear bidibodi,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
Kindly be informed that we offer seven different room categories. If the Single room did not meet your expectations I would recommend to book the next higher room category which is more or less 9 sqm larger than the Single room.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

Service at front desk ultra efficient and with excellent English

Hotel very central and near key sights (if you have time to see them!)

Room beautifully presented with 2 ceiling height windows an very tastefully decorated. Some cool features:

-The split in the wall that gives discreet view into bathroom and Adds further depth to room
-the multi functional lighting
-the Bose stereo
-the nespresso machine
-the elegant and sublimely comfortable bed with split feather duvets
-irons never work well in hotels: this one was tiny and without steam: my business shirts look brand new (the delight if German engineering)
-air com worked seamlessly and quietly
-the rain shower in the bathroom
-the oversized artwork in the bathroom
-the heated mirror in the bathroom
-the variety of [wooden] proper coat hangers in the wardrobe

The only minor gripe was the poor size and variety of free weights in the fitness room

Room service was very efficient and tasty albeit portions only average for those with big appetite

• Stayed October 2013
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear John T,

thank you so much for your very positive feedback. I highly appreciate your comments and I would like to personally thank you for having taken the time to share your experiences from your recent stay at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern Luxury room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Best regards,