“Brilliant Hotel”

Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Ranked #32 of 322 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Hotel is consistently brilliant. The staff are great, and the rooms are very nice and modern with huge windows and lots of natural light.

The food is great (room service) and the bar downstairs is really nice with great drinks. The terrace at the bar downstairs is useful for smoking and it's REALLY great in the summer.

Some of the rooms have Hermes toiletries which are awesome as well.

Definitely an extremely nice hotel with very consistent stays and a solid choice for Hamburg.

Room Tip: Some of the suites facing the water have tiny step out balconies.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear SohanTanna,

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will be happy to pass your feedback over to my team, of course.
Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.

We are glad you have found a second home when travelling to Hamburg and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.

Gilles Felgen

Write a ReviewReviews (2,644)

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We enjoyed our 6 night stay here. Staff, rooms and facilities were all excellent. The bar and restaurant were very good although priced for the business traveller although the meal we did have was very good - but not good value compared to some of the eating experiences we enjoyed close by. Concierge was very knowledgeable and very helpful and we appreciated the hints and tips he gave us. As the trip was to celebrate my wife's birthday I teated her to a massage in the hotel spa and she said that was also very good. All in all a very good stay - despite the freezing cold spell we experienced whilst there !

Room Tip: We enjoyed our view overlooking the canal/river
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear CAHA,

Thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and for taking the time to write this feedback.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as we have committed ourselves to make you feel at home while away.

Dear CAHA, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Invited my mum for a 3 night stay over Christmas. Checked the website and different booking options then rang reservation and a very helpful lady recommended the luxury rooms based on my requirements regarding views and high floor. Location is fabulous with major attractions in walking distance and several metro lines to choose from.

The room was spacious and very well equipped with a fantastic bathroom.

Service was unobtrusive but always there when needed and breakfast definitely one of the best I had with a great choice.

We really enjoyed our stay and I'll return gladly.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Hello-Ms-B,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.
In addition it is a pleasure to read that the great morning buffet with french flair met your expectations and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

The hotel was a positive surprise from the start to the end. The location is excellent and in short walking distance to shopping areas. The hotel features a modern design, cleanliness and staff that were at all times friendly and accommodating. I would have loved to take the bed home with me - it was sooo comfortable. For a hotel of that class it is really quite moderately priced.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank RichMei
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear RichMei,

thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and as well for taking the time to write your feedback.
It is nice to read that the room with the soothing “My Bed” concept makes your stay an unforgettable experience. Kindly be informed that you can purchase our special “My Bed” concept to enjoy the same comfortable sleep and Sofitel experience at home. Please do not hesitate to contact our Quality Manager ( Tel : +49 40 369 500 or h5395-QM@sofitel.com) for more information.
I would like to thank you for your positive comments and pass them over to my team.

Dear RichMei, once again thank you for having chosen the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall to stay at and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Sincerely

Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

This is a very nice and upbeat hotel. The rooms are larger than normal with a lot of up to date items such as an in wall TV and a Bose sound system. Most rooms come with an ironing board, iron, and a coffee pot boiler, but if you don't have them in your room, just call the desk and they will send you the items. The rooms are pretty much sound proof and the floors are very quiet.

The front desk is very helpful with directions and recommendations for restaurants and attractions. Pay attention to the floor that you are on when you get to the elevators. It is NOT logical. For example, if your room number starts with a 3, then you will need to push button 2 on the elevator panel. It is written on the panel, but if you are in a hurry and just want to get to your room, you will miss it. I am seeing this every now and then, and its like the guy who installed the elevator was not talking to the guy who numbered the rooms. There is some construction going on in the building behind the hotel across the canal, but the noise is minimum.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Duck1963,

thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and for taking the time to write this feedback.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Kindly be informed that our rooms are not equipped with an ironing board and iron. However you are right that you can call our Housekeeping team at any time. They will be happy to bring you an ironing board and an iron in your room.

Dear Duck1963, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

With the hotel being less than a 5 minute walk to both an overground and underground station, this hotel is in a perfect location to access Hamburg for a visitor.

The hotel itself is has a nice cocktail bar just off the lobby with a respectable range of cocktails and Scotch Whisky.

I never ate dinner at the hotel but the breakfast is definitely up there. Selection is very good, but what makes it stand out is the quality on offer. Options for all here.

There are only two things that let this hotel down. 1, the gym. It's tiny. In fairness Sofitel does look like it has quite a good spa, but I think they've hedged their bets in that direction which made the gym suffer. Only one treadmill (second one out of order), one elliptical trainer, one exercise bike and some weights.

The other complaint is the room. Although very well laid out, clean and tidy, it is a bit too contemporary for a sleeping area. A lot of white and a random picture of two peoples faces on the headboard? A little weird. But in any case, the important aspects were good - comfortable bed, good night sleep.

Would recommend for business trips.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Foodgoorou,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Check in. A crowd at getting advice from the front desk meant a short wait. Then when I got to the desk one of the crowd came back and I was totally ignored for 5 minutes while her requests were dealt with. The agent then looked at me blankly and asked if he could help...this despite me already having given my name, explained I wanted to check in and handed him my credit card. No apology for that, or that it took 10 mins from walking through the door get served. Welcome drink offered as an A Club Platinum benefit but no late check out as the hotel is busy.

Room. Tiny. I had booked a single and they are small. A queen size bed shoehorned into the room but an oddly large hallway. No bath. Nicely decorated though in soft warm tones. No A Club Platinum upgrade but that is pretty typical of the chain. As always if they had explained no upgrade was possible because the hotel was full I would have understood. Dodging the point totally isn't so clever.

Bar. 15 minutes before any of the staff noticed me, and that was only achieved by standing up and waving at them. Service was then very good but a sour taste left by the large, handwritten TIP on the bill. This is Germany, not the US! Drinks were good but the food over priced and mediocre, charging Euro17 for a few microwaved sausages and oven chips.

Bed. Very comfortable but by this point I was annoyed so noticed all the things that didn't work for me. Two small overly soft uncomfortable pillows, a flickering bed side light, poor sound proofing so I could hear every passing conversation in the hallway, no obvious do not disturb sign so housekeeping knocked at 9am.

Checkout. Another crowd of people, no obvious attempt at serving people in order. Disappointing again.

For Euro155 that was poor value for money, especially the service and also a reminder why Accor A Club is a really, really bad loyalty programme. I would look elsewhere when I come back to Hamburg.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear SHNW6,

thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I am sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
It is our goal thanks to high Sofitel standards to make your stay always the most comfortable one.

Criticism and hints how to do things better, will help us to reach our goals and increase our guest’s satisfaction. We are very grateful that you described your experience with our Front Office and 7 Heads Bar Team which will help us to improve.
We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and we do hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.