“Great service, great location”

Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Ranked #26 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 22 July 2014

To be honest was a bit disappointed with this hotel on past couple of visits but on recent business trip, corporate rate made me book it again. This time staff woke up to fact I was Accor Club Gold member & it made a huge difference. Lovely room with balcony & great bath (standard rooms as per my last visit have unusually small single beds for a hotel of this calibre). Anyway everything great this time and enjoyed drink in the sunshine on lovely terrace overlooking the canal. Going back next week!

Room Tip: Rooms over canal have better outlook if available...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Bonjour JamieW,

thank you very much for staying again at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and for taking the time to write this feedback.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We are delighted to read that we were able to exceed your expectations thanks to an upgrade to a higher room category as you are a Le Club Accorhotels Gold member.
In addition it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your sundowner on the terrace of the Seven Heads Bar and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we looking forward to welcoming you back next week.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed 12 nights in this hotel last year and can say with authority that this is one of the better properties in the Sofitel chain in Europe. The service staff have been trained to an exceptional standard and you are always greeted with a smile. The rooms are not the most spacious you will ever have but boast all the amenities and luxuries you would expect from a Sofitel. The pool downstairs is a bit small and the gym could use some expanding but overall, a very good fitness/wellness area. The highlight for me was the breakfast - excellent selection of cold cuts/cereals and juices with excellent waiting staff attending to you.

The location is also very good. Located on the posh Alter Wall, it is a stone's throw away from shopping malls and boutiques.

I would gladly return.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back. The ones facing the front of the hotel face the subway line, which ca...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ZZCLSE
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear ZZCLSE,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.
In addition it is a pleasure to read that the great morning buffet with french flair met your expectations and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Sofitel is a very modern hotel just back from the Alster. The rooms are modern with really comfortable beds, the best being those that look out onto the back canal. What I particularly liked is the canalside terrace which is a superb spot to sit in the sun with a drink. The room lacked an iron and an ironing board and I found the TV menu a little awkward to navigate once I'd accidentally selected French as my language, but these were more than outweighed by the overall ambience of the hotel and the standards that I've come to expect from the Sofitel chain.

Room Tip: Go for canalside.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Bonjour simonske35,

thank you very much for having taken so much of your valuable time to post your comments about your recent stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I was very pleased to read that you had a wonderful time with us. Our staff members work daily with great dedication to make every guest’s stay a special one. I am happy that your expectations could be met and that we could make your stay a special one.
Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.
Kindly be informed that Amenities like e.g. a n iron and an ironing board is not a standard room amenity. However, it is our pleasure to bring these complimentary items upon request to your room in order to increase your comfort during your stay.
In addition we are very grateful that you described your experience regarding the TV in your guest room, I have already addressed it to the responsible manager.

Sincerely

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed at the Sofitel just for one night. The hotel is conveniently located in the city of Hamburg. It can be reached easly by public transport. The service was very good, the Staff were extremely friendly.
The room was clean, quite big, with modern furniture and the bed was very comfortable. My room had a nice view on the river side.
Only the breakfast price was too expensive, but you have lot of foods choice.
Would definitly go again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear giorgins,

thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and for taking the time to write this feedback.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as we have committed ourselves to make you feel at home while away.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will be happy to pass your feedback over to my team, of course.
Kindly be informed that we offer different choices of breakfast. Furthermore you have the opportunity to use our new outlet “Le Café”, so please do not hesitate to contact our restaurant staff during your next stay.
Dear giorgins, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

The positives:
Great location, especially for the top shops and docks
Superb concierge services. Super helpful.
Nice rooms. Smart in a dove grey colour. Great beds. Well equipped
Outstandingly good breakfast service and food 10 out of 10

The OK's
Beautiful blind receptionist was decorative but a touch off hand, and the bag handling was somewhat officious
It is not great to be confronted by smokers and urns full of cigarette butts at the entrance - very off putting

The bass
The service in the canal side outdoor bar tables was shockingly bad every time we went there. The man in charge lets the hotel down and needs a serious wake up call or to be sent on his way.

Overall I thoroughly recommend this hotel, but management does need to get a grip in a couple of areas. I would put the lady who runs stye breakfast restaurant in charge: she was fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Bonjour aj t,

thank you very much for taking some time to inform us about your opinion and your impressions of our hotel.
We assure you that it is our highest ambition to have satisfied guests who are looking forward to return to our hotel. Therefore it is much to our regret that your stay in our hotel did not perfectly match with your plan and expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
I´m sorry that we did not meet the high standards of service that you quite rightly expected to find at Sofitel Luxury Hotels. I have addressed each point individually with the relevant members in order that corrective action can be taken.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Good hotel. Some misses to live up to the standards of Sofitel and 5 stars. Refridigator was broke. No trashcan in the bathroom. No rainshower. No coffeemachine in the room. Otherwise okey. But the have to stop with this plastic under the sheets. I wake up all warm. I took it out and then sleept good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Dear Martin L,

Thank you very much for having commented your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.
We assure you that it is our highest ambition to have satisfied guests who are looking forward to return to our hotel. Therefore it is much to our regret that your stay in our hotel did not perfectly match with your plan and expectations. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies.
Regarding our room categories I would like to tell you that we offer 7 different room types. First of all the main difference is to find in the sqm. Moreover all rooms from luxury category upwards are equipped with a Nespresso coffee mashine.
Therefore it would be a pleasure for our reservation department (Tel : +49 40 369 500 or h5395@sofitel.com) to advise you on your next booking.
Moreover I`m sorry to read that your experience while you dive into the “MyBed” was not satisfied. Kindly be informed that we take note of it, so that we can remove the MyBed and you´ll sleep a little bit harder.

Dear Martin L, we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

With kind regards

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Pros:

Beautiful bedrooms
Spacious rooms
Nice view on the river
Clean
Nice bar overlooking the river
Nice well kept Lobby area
Nice pool
Nice spa
Great location right in the centre
Very comfortable beds

Cons:

All the staff were rude except for one nice gentleman on the front desk
There is no concierge
The cleaning staff don't knock on your door and walk right in
No one came to turn down our room at night
It took us 20 minutes to be served at the bar
The bar staff didn't care and didn't even want to take our order

Overall the staff are what makes this hotel a shame - they need to work on their customer value

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the river
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Zyna21,

thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincere apologies.
It is our goal thanks to high Sofitel standards to make your stay always the most comfortable one.

Criticism and hints how to do things better, will help us to reach our goals and increase our guest’s satisfaction. We are very grateful that you described your experience with our Service which will help us to improve.
We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and we do hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.