“100% recommend visiting while in Germany”

Neuengamme Concentration Camp Memorial
Ranked #47 of 338 things to do in Hamburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Jean-Dolidier-Weg 75 21039 Hamburg Germany Tel.: +49 40 - 4 28 13 15 00 Fax: +49 40 - 4 28 13 15 01 E-mail: info@kz-gedenkstaette-neuengamme.de
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I travelled here during my stay in Germany with friends. We went in July and it was extremely hot with little shade outside the buildings. I went because I wanted to see what it was really like and not just what I had learned in History class. There is no entrance fee which was great and there was so much to see. We ran out of time but managed to make it through the main buildings. You could spend the good part of the day there so make sure you have lots of time and are not rushed. Many displays of original items from people who were there and many videos from witness and locals.

Definitly recommend visiting. It does have an erie feeling knowing what happened there.

6  Thank Vicky S

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I visited Neuengamme while taking a colleague class on a day Trip.
I think i learned more than the students!

What an interesting place. It was so full of history and there were many stories to be heard.

It may be strange to say you recommend this place, all things considered, it really is a site to behold and is very interesting.

1  Thank smoothedoutdrummer
Reviewed 16 January 2014

As an American who grew up in a small German-settled town in north Texas, I feel a calling to learn as much about my past as possible. When I found myself granted with a trip to Germany, I felt somehow obligated to visit a former concentration camp. Keep in mind I was unable to complete the self-guided tour, but I will never regret visiting. After two hours, my mind and soul had enough frustration and sadness.
I actually visited in October of 2011. My reflections of this visit still conjure emotions I feel I will carry with me for life.

5  Thank MickeyK69
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We had a hire car and followed our satellite navigation, its tricky to get to but don't let this put you off going.

There is no entrance fee and you can wander around as you wish, signs and plaques tell you the history of each building and what role it played. It was not busy at all when we visited on a weekday morning.

Entering the main building you should turn to your left and follow the natural flow of the museum/exhibition.

Walking around the grounds you get a true feel for the scale and desolation of this place.

The crematorium is now a memorial, and to stand and contemplate that over a hundred thousand people had been exterminated and cremated on such an industrial scale makes me feel ashamed to be human.

5  Thank Darren I
Reviewed 26 May 2013

It´s a place where you get a tiny impression of what happened in WW II... I felt a little haunted and quite depressed later.
No entry fee!!