“Well kept sample of history.”

Neuengamme Concentration Camp Memorial
Ranked #52 of 305 things to do in Hamburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Jean-Dolidier-Weg 75 21039 Hamburg Germany Tel.: +49 40 - 4 28 13 15 00 Fax: +49 40 - 4 28 13 15 01 E-mail: info@kz-gedenkstaette-neuengamme.de
Flemington, New Jersey
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Well kept sample of history.”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The camp is well kept and provides an overview of how it used to be. The museum is well organized and clean. You feel a sense of history and sadness when you visit the place as you are shown all of the areas. Spend at least 2-3 hours if you want to walk the surroundings and visit the museum in detail.

Visited January 2014
6 Thank dmejias

• Hebrew first
Hamburg, Germany
137 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“Recommended for Hamburg Visitors”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

It is a 40 minutes drive from Hamburg Altona which worths a lot. It is the largest concentration camp with its 100.000 prisoners in northwest Germany. We were out of time so rushed to visit main exhibition building and unfortunately skipped one or two. Entrance is free and there are brochures in several languages. Audio guides are available. I advice to spend at least 3 hours to understand its history. Main exhibition building is cleverly organized with personal belongings of prisoners and SS officers. If you have no car, take the train to Bergedorf then the bus to Neuengamme.

Visited February 2014
6 Thank polly_2000
Mississauga, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“100% recommend visiting while in Germany”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I travelled here during my stay in Germany with friends. We went in July and it was extremely hot with little shade outside the buildings. I went because I wanted to see what it was really like and not just what I had learned in History class. There is no entrance fee which was great and there was so much to see. We ran out of time but managed to make it through the main buildings. You could spend the good part of the day there so make sure you have lots of time and are not rushed. Many displays of original items from people who were there and many videos from witness and locals.

Definitly recommend visiting. It does have an erie feeling knowing what happened there.

Visited July 2013
6 Thank Vicky S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Very educational”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I visited Neuengamme while taking a colleague class on a day Trip.
I think i learned more than the students!

What an interesting place. It was so full of history and there were many stories to be heard.

It may be strange to say you recommend this place, all things considered, it really is a site to behold and is very interesting.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank smoothedoutdrummer
San Antonio, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“History Never Forgotten”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

As an American who grew up in a small German-settled town in north Texas, I feel a calling to learn as much about my past as possible. When I found myself granted with a trip to Germany, I felt somehow obligated to visit a former concentration camp. Keep in mind I was unable to complete the self-guided tour, but I will never regret visiting. After two hours, my mind and soul had enough frustration and sadness.
I actually visited in October of 2011. My reflections of this visit still conjure emotions I feel I will carry with me for life.

Visited October 2013