“Proceed with caution”

Ranked #284 of 319 Hotels in Hamburg
bindo08
“Proceed with caution”
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Be very careful when thinking about booking this hotel. First of all I would like to say that this hotel is well located and reasonably priced for the area.

However I recently stayed there with a large party of around 12 - this was a stag do but not your typical group of 12 Lads from England - we are generally very polite and friendly.

On the first night we were there I borrowed the iron for which you have to leave a ten Euro deposit (it is that kind of hotel). The next day as we were leaving for the day the young Chinese owner pulled me aside and said we had burnt the carpet in the room. This was simply not true but the gentleman was insistent. This running battle was fought across the Saturday with me being very reasonable and level headed and putting our case across that we had not burnt the floor.

I even offered 50 euros to square things off even though we had definitely not burnt the carpet. The guy was not going to let it go until we paid 150 euros so he could put a new carpet down. He did not want to offer me a receipt or let me pay the carpet company directly - instead he wanted 150 euros cash.

I got even more suspicious when to demonstrate that I had burnt the carpet he got out a strip of carpet from under his desk and started heating the iron. When I asked what this would prove he got very frustrated and angry with me.

He then threatened to call the police and I asked if he please would as I felt that I was being conned and would have liked an independent view of the situation. He called the police who of course on a Saturday night during the Euros told him to get lost.

I have a feeling that he normally gets paid at the police threat stage because he was hopping mad that I actually asked him to call the police. I don't know if I am correct but I would go so far as to say if you choose to stay do not hire their iron because I think this guy tries this on with a number of people who have used the iron.

If anyone else has had the same experience then please let me know.

• Liked — The location is good
  • Disliked — The attempts to con the guests
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 28 January 2008

My rating is mainly based on the price - the cheapest available in town as regards internet reservations. The facilities were basic and typical as regards a basic budget hotel. My room was impeccably cleaned every day, and the furniture was new, the staff was friendly and the address was very good, in a quiet area only 5 mins walk from the Central Station.
I was slightly irritated by the public bathroom, which could be
improved for just a few Euros: the soap machine was running,
the lock in the toilet should be changed, and why deposit a painter´s ladder there ? But these are minor issues. Everything was clean. The breakfast buffet had quite a large selection, including, for instance, apples, youghurt, many cereals and breads etc., though not any fat-free ham. There were only a few guests; whether it can become too crowded during the season, I can´t tell. The owner is Chinese, and you will encounter some
interesting group photos of Chinese dignitaries which have visited the place. There are many very good and varied eating places and shops in the area, especially along the Lange Reihe, such as the Kulturhaus Koppel 69 etc. The kebab in that street, Keb Town, wil serve you a filling meal, a döner teller, for Euro 5:90. There´s
a livelier and good atmosphere at the Bierstube-like white pub
opposite the hotel on the square, which serves very filling meals for about 6:00. Try to see the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe,
if you have an interest in cultural subjects.
By the way: I booked the cheapest room without a bath at booking.com, and because of this I was only allowed to pay cash.
In short: enjoy the basic facilities and spend the money you have saved on shopping and experiences; if you tend to want to pay for a higher level of quality as regards the hotel facilities, you should probably find another hotel.

• Liked — Price and OK facilities
  • Disliked — Public bathroom needs a little repair
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank joen.dk
Madrid
Reviewed 25 September 2007

When I boooked the hotel, though the information showed it was a 1 star hotel, the price and the conditions were as 3 stars hotel. It was close to the Main Railway Station, what was very important for me, and so I booked it. The only part of the information which was true was that it was close to the Station, but the rest not at all. The owner is an Asiatic man who does not speak English and do not understand the pre-payd brouchures, so everyday he insisted, not very kindly, that I had to pay the room. The room - at least mine - was horrible. There were not a bathrom, as the information said. The room had a shower, another door was to comunicate with a WC - the only way to use it was with the door opened -. Not very higienic. It was imposible to ask for another room, as the person at the RecepcionDesk -the owner - did not speak English. Conclusion: the price is extremly high. Even though the price were lower, the category of the hotel had to be less than 1 star: a pension, a residence,...not a Hotel.

• Liked — Close to Main Station
  • Disliked — Room; Service at the Reception Desk
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank Monana

Travellers are raving about these Hamburg hotels