“Excellent budget hotel - location is also perfect”

Novum Hotel Kronprinz Hamburg Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #128 of 317 Hotels in Hamburg
“Excellent budget hotel - location is also perfect”
Reviewed 12 December 2012 via mobile

It is a small budget hotel. Some rooms are nicer than others and the receptionist is VERY nice and service oriented. Its our 4th yr staying here and we will definitely be back. Oh and breakfast is also very tasty :)

• Stayed November 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We stayed one night here having vacated the Centrum hotel around the corner in haste. The Kronprinz was an absolute delight in comparison.The desk clerk was friendly and helpful and we couldn't have been more pleased with the room. Extremely clean, comfortable and spacious. Our room faced the street, directly across the road from the main train station and it was a little noisy with traffic but ear plugs put a stop to that. This was our last night in Germany after a 2 week trip and a lovely hotel to spend it in. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation and if I ever return to Hamburg I will be using it again.

Room Tip: Maybe a room at the rear of the hotel would be a little quieter. Ours over looked the street and ma...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 14 November 2012

This is the best location of a hotel that I have stayed in during my Europe travels. It made things so much easier. The hotel is an older building and decorated really nicely. I had a single room which was super small but I really didn't need anymore space. There was free wifi which wasn't super fast but was at least there. When I first checked in I noticed that the toilet seat in my room was broken. I told the staff and they had it fixed immediately. The breakfast was not super impressive but it was relatively cheap compared to other ones I've seen. They had sliced bread and cereals and some hot foods. Overall though, I'd definitely stay here again simply because of the location. The main train station offered so many food choices and was within walking distance of basically all of the sites.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank StaceyM1
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Very satisfied with our stay at the Kronprinz. Rooms were clean and comfy. Bathroom was large and clean. Breakfast range was adequate and reasonably priced. Staff were polite and spoke English well. Only complaint was the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Hotel itself was very close to several restaurants and transport. Stayed there four nights and would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Denmark
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I spent one night at the Kronprinz Hamburg.

It is a 3 star hotel offering comfortable and clean accommodation right opposite of the main train station.

The room was quiet large and the bathroom was big.

They offer free wi fi and it worked ok when I spent my night there.

The breakfast is ok. They offer a small cheese selection and different kinds of cereals, meat, etc. I don't regret paying for it.

All in all if you are travelling on a budget and don't expect wild luxury then this hotel will not disappoint you.

Recommended!

Good luck!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 July 2012

This delightful little property so well located is letting itself down with little things. The promised free Internet didn't work for the week we were there and reception wasn't interested. Fascinating to be in the small lobby where the Internet was working and hear the stream of complaints. The bread rolls so famously fresh in Germany weren't fresh at our breakfasts. A small but important quality let down. The showers leak. Well at least in our room they did. Totally flooded the floor until we discovered how to run the water into the side wall and prevents the overflows. And the key system is ancient. They totally need electronic keys to avoid waiting in a queue to get back into your room. However this is so close to being a GREAT hotel with clean, well maintained rooms, comfy beds and superb location. Let's hope management takes action on these small details!

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank triflow
Paris, France
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I have stayed at this property repeatedly for both business and pleasure, and this time I made a point of staying here even though the price was higher and breakfast was not included. I am sorry that I did so based on my experience. I observed and experienced many issues this time. First, the wireless interet didn't work property, and many guests were lining up in the lobby to complain. The desk clerk, a young German woman with red hair and who spoke perfectly accented British English, could not have cared less. In fact, she demonstrated her lack of interest and frustration. When I asked for some ice to take up to my room, I was told that there wasn't any. If I wanted ice, then I could ask next door at the restaurant, and they might give me some. The bathroom was not particularly clean, which the well traveled know, is not typical of a good German hotel. Very disappointing that such a good property could have fallen in quality so much. As well, I'll alert you to the fact that as frequently as I have praised it, I've never received so much as a "Danke" from the General Management. That may tell you the source of all the problems.

Room Tip: Stay away from the main street. It's noisy at night, particularly on festival and holidays.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business