“Very disapointed in room”

Novum Hotel Kronprinz Hamburg Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #130 of 319 Hotels in Hamburg
Temuka, New Zealand
“Very disapointed in room”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I arrived late at night after a long train trip and booked into the hotel; was very glad to see it was so close to the Hfb, great location. I was given my key to a room on the first floor and had paid extra for a single room with a Queen size bed. The room they put me in was a 'broom closet'. The bed was squeezed in the corner and you had to crawl up onto it to get into it, there was no way this was a Queen size bed! I was so knacked, I crawled (literary) into bed and went to sleep.

The next day I went down and said them I was not happy with the room. There was not even a desk and I was there for an appointment with a Professor from Hamburg University and could not do any work. I could touch both sides of the room when I stood in the middle, (do not settle on room 111). They did change me to another room, with a desk but once again, this was not a Queen size bed; lucky if it was double. The room was at the back of the hotel on the 4th floor but directly over the back area of a restaurant/pub where staff come out to smoke, talk etc. 4th floor and you can still hear everything that was said below, at all hours.

The breakfast was ERO$7.50 extra and I had it one each of the three mornings, coffee and cereal with orange juice. There was also rolls with cheese and sliced wurst. They cooked up scrambled eggs for those who wanted them, none for me.

The Wifi did not work and the receptionist was no help when I rung and asked about it? She was very uninformative or willing to offer suggestions to fix the situation. Needed it for work. My personal travel connection would also not work as it was counteracted by the non-existent hotel Wifi. Very frustrating weekend.

Look at other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Do not get room 111 or rooms over the back of the local bars/restaurant.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Nicki F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Perfect location, free reliable internet, clean rooms if a little dated but then for the price no complaints, very nice polite staff.

Would I stay here again, probably not due to the very loud extractor fans and lack of sound proofing. Every time anyone of the neighbouring rooms including above and below went into their bathrooms, it felt like a helicopter was hovering outside the room for the 30 minutes minimum timed that the extractor fan kicked in . . mildly tolerable before midnight but this could happen any time during the night ! Not impressed and coupled with the early morning cleaners bellowing down the corridor at each other I would have screamed if I didn't have ear plugs with me.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 10ymg10
LONDON
Reviewed 24 December 2012

I always stay around this area due to it being central and do try and use the Novum hotels as they have a good standard and a decent breakfast.

I checked into this hotel and had to get a room change 3 times, the place is clean but very tired and in need of a big overhaul. I cannot comment on the breakfast as I never made it due to a wee hangover. I wouldnt stay at this particular hotel again choose another nearby.

Room Tip: I got a room at the front in the end which overlooked the station this was ok.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Craig P
Reviewed 12 December 2012 via mobile

It is a small budget hotel. Some rooms are nicer than others and the receptionist is VERY nice and service oriented. Its our 4th yr staying here and we will definitely be back. Oh and breakfast is also very tasty :)

• Stayed November 2012
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We stayed one night here having vacated the Centrum hotel around the corner in haste. The Kronprinz was an absolute delight in comparison.The desk clerk was friendly and helpful and we couldn't have been more pleased with the room. Extremely clean, comfortable and spacious. Our room faced the street, directly across the road from the main train station and it was a little noisy with traffic but ear plugs put a stop to that. This was our last night in Germany after a 2 week trip and a lovely hotel to spend it in. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation and if I ever return to Hamburg I will be using it again.

Room Tip: Maybe a room at the rear of the hotel would be a little quieter. Ours over looked the street and ma...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 14 November 2012

This is the best location of a hotel that I have stayed in during my Europe travels. It made things so much easier. The hotel is an older building and decorated really nicely. I had a single room which was super small but I really didn't need anymore space. There was free wifi which wasn't super fast but was at least there. When I first checked in I noticed that the toilet seat in my room was broken. I told the staff and they had it fixed immediately. The breakfast was not super impressive but it was relatively cheap compared to other ones I've seen. They had sliced bread and cereals and some hot foods. Overall though, I'd definitely stay here again simply because of the location. The main train station offered so many food choices and was within walking distance of basically all of the sites.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank StaceyM1
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Very satisfied with our stay at the Kronprinz. Rooms were clean and comfy. Bathroom was large and clean. Breakfast range was adequate and reasonably priced. Staff were polite and spoke English well. Only complaint was the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Hotel itself was very close to several restaurants and transport. Stayed there four nights and would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends