Novum Hotel Kronprinz Hamburg Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #142 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel is just across the main station. The sightseeing tours just across the street. It is just another EUROPEAN hotel. I am sure that there are much better and much worst. The room was adequate for 2 people. The shower was perfect. The room was cleaned every. The staff was fine and I say this because I very seldom ask any staff anywhere anything but they seem nice. When we checked out I was surprised when the guy that did the check out , told us that we owe €14 for beers and some other beverages from the fridge in the lobby but that was a mistake that someone in the hotel made so I didn't paid it. The breakfast was not included but we also didn't sign for it as we prefer to look around for places to have breakfast in.If I ever go back to HAMBURG I will go back to this hotel it is very conveniently located.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank enrique142

Reviewed 24 April 2013

The hotel is convienently located right across the street from the train station so take the train from the airport and save some euro. The room was small but I expected that. The bathroom was tiny and the shower was quite tiny too. The room was clean. There was only one outlet (the TV outlet). Wifi was available and breakfast was good at 7,5 euro. The walls are thin so if you are a lite sleeper be aware.

Room Tip: I stayed in a small single room that was between two other rooms on the third floor. I could hear e...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Wilhelm S
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Arrived last Wednesday (27/3) and traveled to Hamburg Central train station from the airport as we were aware it was very close to this hotel we had booked. On arrival and heading out onto the street (Kirchnalee) we could very quickly see the hotel in view was merely yards away so made life very easy in terms of getting around Hamburg on the reliable S-Bahn train service.
Check in was quick and efficient albeit I am not 100% sure I like a key service to rooms - think its pretty outdated in comparison to the swipe card system that most modern hotels adopt these days. Having to drop keys off every time we head out is a bit of a ball ache. I was provided with a map of Hamburg upon arrival and offered a breakfast package, which I declined.
The room was a double room and whilst it was fairly small room as a whole, I thought the price was excellent for an en-suite hotel room in an excellent location for travel. I paid roughly £200 for a 4 night stay.
The rooms came with Free WI-FI Internet access which you have to log back into every hour. This was largely reliable and an important feature of any hotel room for me.
The room also came with a tv with a standard amount of tv channels.
The shower was slightly different from what im used to as it required you to select both hot and cold generally and determine the level of each you require.. took a few mins to master but was very good after that.
There was a mini bar at reception available for getting a late drink which came in handy and a small lounge just between reception and first floor with chairs and a computer free for residents to use.
All in all location was very good, price was very good, service was very good so I really cannot complain. Recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2013

good price and centrally located, but those are the only positives. My room was clean, but small and slightly dated. But the biggest problem was the noise - which seemed to easy travel through the thin walls from neighbouring rooms and corridors, even though people weren't being excessively noisy. The heating was also uncomfortably hot. While I got a good deal, I can't recommend the hotel as my sleep was at times disturbed.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank tjones4
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I arrived late at night after a long train trip and booked into the hotel; was very glad to see it was so close to the Hfb, great location. I was given my key to a room on the first floor and had paid extra for a single room with a Queen size bed. The room they put me in was a 'broom closet'. The bed was squeezed in the corner and you had to crawl up onto it to get into it, there was no way this was a Queen size bed! I was so knacked, I crawled (literary) into bed and went to sleep.

The next day I went down and said them I was not happy with the room. There was not even a desk and I was there for an appointment with a Professor from Hamburg University and could not do any work. I could touch both sides of the room when I stood in the middle, (do not settle on room 111). They did change me to another room, with a desk but once again, this was not a Queen size bed; lucky if it was double. The room was at the back of the hotel on the 4th floor but directly over the back area of a restaurant/pub where staff come out to smoke, talk etc. 4th floor and you can still hear everything that was said below, at all hours.

The breakfast was ERO$7.50 extra and I had it one each of the three mornings, coffee and cereal with orange juice. There was also rolls with cheese and sliced wurst. They cooked up scrambled eggs for those who wanted them, none for me.

The Wifi did not work and the receptionist was no help when I rung and asked about it? She was very uninformative or willing to offer suggestions to fix the situation. Needed it for work. My personal travel connection would also not work as it was counteracted by the non-existent hotel Wifi. Very frustrating weekend.

Look at other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Do not get room 111 or rooms over the back of the local bars/restaurant.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Nicki F
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Perfect location, free reliable internet, clean rooms if a little dated but then for the price no complaints, very nice polite staff.

Would I stay here again, probably not due to the very loud extractor fans and lack of sound proofing. Every time anyone of the neighbouring rooms including above and below went into their bathrooms, it felt like a helicopter was hovering outside the room for the 30 minutes minimum timed that the extractor fan kicked in . . mildly tolerable before midnight but this could happen any time during the night ! Not impressed and coupled with the early morning cleaners bellowing down the corridor at each other I would have screamed if I didn't have ear plugs with me.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business