Hotel Lilienhof
  • Breakfast included
US$116
US$109
NH Hotels
Apartment-Hotel Hamburg Mitte(Hamburg)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$102
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 May 2014

To cut a long story short I had 2 rooms booked - 1 for myself and 1 for a friend. My friend couldn't make it so I cancelled his room, but when I arrived the 2 woman on reception told me that I had also cancelled my room, which I hadn't.

They said they could give me a room but it would cost €50 instead of €25. It was raining and every other hotel room in Hamburg was booked so I reluctantly paid.

My room was on the 5th floor in the attic. It was tiny with a sloping roof with a window that wouldn't shut properly. The only light in the "cell" was a bedside table lamp which was plugged in to sockets with bare wires. There was a small TV with terrible reception and a crackedsink, but the sink plug plunger thing didn't work. There was no shower in the room as promised and there was a shared toilet in the corridor.

This is a horrible dive of a hotel with owners and staff who will rip you off. I did read reviews before I booked this hotel but none of them revealed the true horror that this place is.

I booked here because it was cheap and only cost €25 but they charged me €50 - I wish that I had booked a better hotel for €50 in the first place.

Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank ManS0l0
Reviewed 6 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Once again I failed to read reviews on hotels before I book them. I blame panic. We've all had it, you see the room and you have to get it before someone else does. I missed one once, was not happy but that's another story.

So I decided to spread my wings so to speak and head off to Germany to check out the Metal Dayz concert that was going on. I was quoted this hotel at a good price on Expedia and decided its location and price was enough to convince me. I cannot stress enough how easy this hotel is to find. In my usual style I will recite my journey to you guys at the end of the review. But this has got to be the closest hotel to a music venue and central train station I have ever stayed in.

The hotel itself from the outside looks in good condition and very inviting. I was pleased at this as usually the outside tells the story for what is inside. Never judge a book by its cover I've been told but to hell with it when it comes to hotels, if its shoddy outside its going to be an experience inside. Not usually a pleasant one. But this hotel looks well kept and maintained. I did fail as soon as I arrived by pressing the buzzer outside the main door and standing like an idiot before being waved in by the receptionist. I then discovered the door is kept open, and always was when I stumbled in at some anti-social hour.

Cannot describe the sense of relief I felt when I checked in and the lovely young lady on reception spoke English. Its safe to say my German is very limited to "Hello", "Goodbye" and conveniently, "I speak very little German" (Ich Spreche Sehr wenig Deutsch...you can have that one for free). As with all the members of staff I met they were very friendly and happy to help. I also have to mention the lady working one night who spoke to me about living in London. Super friendly and a very pleasant lady to speak with. So check in was the usual paperwork and payment, very straight forward. I was allocated room 12 on the first floor.

Upon entering the room I was immediately greeted with a sink and a shower on my left, a sizeable wardrobe on my right. Behind that was my double bed and a television. The room was not the largest but I could move around comfortably and I was very happy with it. The rooms have no toilet in them but 2 shared ones on the floor for male and female. They was shared with the other 3 rooms on my floor, the occupants of which I never saw. It was perfectly well maintained and there was no complaints about it from me. I can imagine if its occupied or someone makes an unpleasant odour in it that will be annoying but I was fortunate not to experience this.

There was a patio window that opened up onto a little 'patio' area. As a non smoker I only ventured out here once at the end for my pictures. It was here I made my discovery of what I can only believe is a bong hidden behind a plant pot. Not only that but the area was littered with cigarette stubs and there was a small amount of graffiti. I feel that with a good hour with a broom and a bucket of soapy water it could make that area a lot more inviting. A little goes a long way and it did just bring down the image for me.

Whenever you left you had to hand your key to reception. I am always uncomfortable about doing this at any hotel so naturally I was not happy about it but it wasn't the end of the world. The only hassle I had with this was one afternoon when I returned and my key was not there. After the guy on reception looked around and had a go at someone over the phone, he brought me the spare. It was no big deal to me and what looked to be a honest mistake.

My only other complaint was of no fault of the hotel. It was a group of other guests having no consideration for others and talking at the top of their voices and laughing loudly at 4:30am. I think I'm quite a deep sleeper but there was no sleeping through this. Again I do not blame the hotel one bit for this, some people are so damn inconsiderate.

Anyway in my usual style here is the route I took to the hotel: After arrival in Hamburg Airport you need to find the S-Bahn platforms. Just look at signs for them as different terminals have different routes to them. When you get down to the first floor you need to buy a ticket. I went for a Greater Hamburg single ticket which was the third option and was priced at 2,95Euro. Go down the next set of stairs to the platforms. Get on the S1 train to the Hauptbahnhof (central station). It is a few stops away so don't panic and the announcement for it is in English. The rest of the stops are in German but the station and Airport are announced in English. On arrival at the station exit the S-Bahn and find your first exit from the train station. As soon as you hit the outside, look up. If you have a long canopy over the top of you, your in the right place. If you do not and can see the Nike Hamburg shop across the road from you, turn around and walk right through the station toward the other exit. Once your here exit and turn left. Walk straight down, past an entrance to the S-Bahn. After that keep going until the next road junction and there she is. Right across the road. Its that simple. It took me around 1 hour from touchdown to arrival at the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank dave2564
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Having the shower in the room is a bit strange, having no air condition in a heatwave is a bit of a problem and being in a busy area means there is a lot of noise. But it's cheap and it's so wonderfully convenient to be able to walk to the hotel from the central station on arrival. The hotel is inexpensive, and I can understand why, but the breakfast is totally alright and I had no problems of any kind.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank BjornSm
Reviewed 4 June 2013

As soon as you enter the hotel, you wonder if you are really in Hamburg, Germany because the hotel's atmosphere is so much like as if you are in India. Old, dusty and rusty furniture, walls made me feel that I should pay a little more to stay in a cleaner hotel even though I was on a budget. The price was higher than what it's worth.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo