“Dis-organised and unwelcoming hotel. I was moved here when their sister hotel was over-booked”

Novum Hotel Hamburg Stadtzentrum
Ranked #196 of 317 Hotels in Hamburg
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This is one of the 10 worst hotels I have ever stayed in
I had booked into the Hotel Polo Novum and when I arrived they told me that they didn't have a room for me and sent me around the corner to their sister hotel - the Hotel Graf Moltke Novum. On arriving at the second hotel I was told that they also did not have a room for me and sent me to the Hotel Novum.

I spent a long time looking for this final hotel (The Hotel Novum) and I admit it was my fault that I didn't find it sooner but in my defense, if I am spending £130 per room per night I do not expect to find the hotel entrance to be a narrow doorway squeezed between 2 sex shops.

The hotel chain didn't offer any explanations for me having to move hotels and offered no apologies or compensation. Considering my room cost £130 per night then I should have been treated better. I will make a point of avoiding their hotels in the future.

The room was one of the worst I have ever experienced. It was clean but it was bare - like a prison cell. I never realized how important it is to have a bedside lamp so that you don't have to get out of bed to switch off the room light. The room was also very cold. on the first night I turned the radiator up to full and there was still very little heating. On the second night it was even colder and the heating was in fact totally switched off.
Now i don't need a lot of heat - i am used to some cold - I originally come from Scotland so am used to cold weather. I admit i didn't complain but It was late, I was tired and I just needed sleep but it is the first time I have ever had to switch on the hair dryer to get some heat into the room in the morning while I was trying to have a shower.

They hotel is also very insistent that you hand in your room key whenever you go out and the impression I get is that they are concerned that you do not bring un-desirable people back with you. It is also a door entry system so you can end up standing outside between the 2 adult shops waiting to get into the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Hamburg Novem is near the Central Station of Hamburg
We like the neighboorhoud, its where the most gay bars are situated
Its very safe
We had a double room (209) with shared bath and toilet
Room was very small and bed to small for two persons
breakfast is great
price for this room was a little overpriserd
WIFI only available on the hall
further fair hotel

Room Tip: dont ask for room 209
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed here three nights as we were travelling by train and this hotel was conveniently close to the Hauptbahnhof. We expected a certain amount of 'nightlife' in the street from the reviews, but the action takes place all day too. The entire ground floor of the hotel building is a sex supermarket, apart from the hotel doorway, which is fitted with an entryphone and kept locked all day.
We had a room on the 4th floor which had two windows which looked out into a dirty narrow internal shaft, providing very little daylight. There was a lot of noise from other rooms and particularly people stamping around on the floor above, well into the early hours. The room had no pictures on any wall, and a very small bathroom, with WC too close to the shower door, and with a toilet seat that would not stay up, and the narrow wash basin with shelf above prevented you from washing your face without banging your head.
There were a couple of redeeming factors, the free wi-fi worked well in our room, and the breakfast was quite good, with a choice of boiled or scrambled eggs each morning.
The next time we visit Hamburg, we would look for a better hotel, even though it may mean spending a little more money.

Room Tip: Avoid room 422 if at all possible.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Hamburg hotels

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This Hotel exceeded my expectations because I thought we wouldn't get a good hotel for 95 Euro/Night (for 3 Persons!!). Our room incl. the bathroom was clean, comfy & of modern style. Nothing to complain about. Breakfast was also ok. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful when asked about directions. The only thing I didn't like was the street you need to walk through when going to the main train station, too many casinos & shops mentioned already by other reviewers. It's a bit scary at night to pass by this street. I would have given this hotel a rating of 5 if it had a better location. But we had a nice stay in this hotel! :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hunnylove
Sierra Vista, AZ
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This hotel is actually very good - it's close to the train station and the rooms are great - comfortable beds, clean bathrooms, and a really good frühstück in the morning, too - a super breakfast, actually. The staff manning the desk is wonderful, too - very helpful, very knowledgeable, and all of them speak good English. The one piece that may have you wondering about the place is in order to get there (from the train station) you have to walk by several sex shops...but we felt safe. I'd book it again - it was a reasonable rate and a comfortable room.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BDiekema
uk
Reviewed 4 February 2013

The environment around the hotel is a little off putting but it should not be... but that had no significance to our holiday. There are lots of handy shops and snack bars close to the hotel and a big supermarket Pennys just across the road. Lidl is just a short walk away. The hotel is fairly quiet but lacks any character, there is virtually no communal space.
The rooms are quite compact but warm, clean and comfy. The television had two english speaking channels for any one that wanted to keep up with global news.
From the hotel it is only a short walk to the Main Railway station which has a direct link with the international airport for only 2.95 euros.
The hotel is fairly centrally situated within walking distance of most of Hamburgs main attractions.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank i_tasker
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

On the plus side, this hotel is clean, reasonably comfortable and offers a decent breakfast. On the negative side, the location is in a really seedy area, the official pictures don't show that the ground floor is a sex supermarket. Not for families or the easily offended. Overall not great value for money considering no en suite and the scummy area. Wouldn't recommend unless they halve the rates.

• Stayed September 2012