“Hamburg - Visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #113 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Hamburg
“Hamburg - Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

My parents stayed at the Smolka in the Isestr. and their stay was very pleasant.
The Room was quite big and freshly renovated. Its a very nice and personal Hotel close to the centre of Hamburg but still very quite in one of the best areas in Hamburg.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated rooms. They are all nice
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Derby, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

I stayed here because I like to stay a little off the beaten track and not in the middle of a busy town or city. This hotel is about 5 kilometres from the centre of Hamburg which is within easy reach in 10 minutes by Metro so it suited me just fine.
I received a pleasant welcome and was given my key by the receptionist. On reaching my room I was a little disappointed. It was small but then I had received a good deal on the two nights that I stayed so I wasn't too put off. The room was clean and the bathroom likewise. The power shower was great for my aching bones. There was an amply stocked fridge and all the other amenities neccessary. The TV was a bit antiquated but I wasn't here to watch TV. I should say that I did manage to catch a glimpse of a couple of other rooms on my floor and they both looked very nice. It appeared as though they had recently been renovated as had the bar and restaurant with similar decor and this theme would appear to be running throughout the hotel. In the bar which could almost have been someones lounge with the easy chairs wall to wall and ceiling high bookcases full of books it was a bit quiet as I seemed to be the only person drinking in there so if you're looking for lively, this is not the place to be. The barman was also friendly and attentive at all times. Breakfast was taken in the restaurant and although I'm not a big breakfast eater (just cereal & tea for me) there was a varied choice of things to eat from cereals, fresh fruits, youghurt, cold meats, cheeses and fresh bread all served in the buffet style where you helped yourself. A waitress with a cheery smile welcomes you and asks if you would like tea or coffee.
All in all an enjoyable stay and if I should venture to Hamburg again I will surely stay here.

If you are thinking of taking a break in Hamburg as I did here's a few tips. I twice tried to book a taxi from the airport to the hotel on the internet. Both times I could only put in the destination which was the city centre and not the hotel. One quote was £106 the other £96 both return so I decided to wait until I arrived in Hamburg. I got a taxi from the airport to the hotel and it cost me 25 euros not only that and not realising until afterwards if I'd taken the Metro it would have cost approximately 5 euros with a 10 minute walk from the station. I found this out because I took the Metro back to the airport when I left virtually door to door 5 euros.
If you're not up to much walking the Metro is ideal for getting around to where you want to go. It's a bit like the London underground but above ground and it's cheaper than a taxi. You will probably need help if the ticket offices are closed and not every station has one because the ticket machines don't provide an English translation. Maybe the hotel will be able to help you with that. I just asked a passerby who explained what to do and carried on from there.

I should add that there are a lot of restaurants and shops near the hotel should you wish to not travel too far.

Anyway I hope this review has been of some use to you. Have a good time if you're visiting Hamburg wherever you choose to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Windsor, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

Very unpleasant stay at this Hotel due to the staff being rude and unpleasant. We were quite peckish when we arrived back at the Hotel at 11.15pm. I asked at reception if it would be possible to have a bite to eat. I was told "Not at this time of night". I then asked if I could have a packet of nuts or crisps. I was told rudely again "No, the bar closed a long time ago".The bar had actually closed at 11pm, not to mention the bar was only about 15 feet from reception and was not closed with shutters or such. The reception advised me next morning that reception could have easily accomodated me with snacks from the bar that evening. Breakfast waitress was unpleasant and seemed as if she did not want to be there. She vanished from the breakfast room. The cheese plate was not replenished. Mini-bar in room could have done with a good clean. Oh, and dont expect any English Channels or technology for subtitles on the tv in room, German only.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

The Hotel is located in one of the best residential areas of Hamburg. The outside looks the part. Inside the decor is a bit old. Strange red carpet....

My room was very nice. Good size, remodelled bathroom. Wifi and TV up to spec.

Always a good option for Hamburg at reasonable prices.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

The staff here are excellent, of the type you don't often find anymore. The receptionists soon learn who you are and present you with your room key as soon as you approach, the gentleman who tends the bar remembers what you had to drink the previous day and offers you the same when he sees you. The rooms are fairly well appointed, I booked a double room having read the reviews here that said the singles can be small - the double was a good size. A shame that there are no coffee/tea facilities in the room.
Very quiet and a good nights sleep, every night for a week.
I didn't eat at the hotel, breakfast or evening meal as the hotel is located in the excellent area of Eppendorf which is just full of cafe's and restaurants (there is an excellent vegetarian restaurant nearby - and I'm not a veggie!)
This is my second trip to Hamburg, I have paid twice this price for a hotel half as good.
This is where I will be next time, no doubts, it's just right and really well located for the area it is in and the two u-Bahn stations u1 and u3 within a very short walk away.

Room Tip: Book a double, only a few £'s more and you get a really good sized room.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Northants, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

I chose this hotel for my first visit to Hamburg, and am pleased that I did. I was looking for a quiet location, but close enough to the centre of Hamburg to make it easy to get about, and quick/easy to get to from the airport. This hotel definitely met my requirements. The hotel is situated on a quiet side street just a few minutes' walk from a U-Bahn stop. Our room was clean, quiet and comfortable and had everything we needed. The staff were professional and helpful. We didn't buy the breakfast as I felt it was expensive (we stayed on a room only basis). However, there are restaurants and cafes nearby.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jewel1977
Hollviken, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

A very nice, welcoming Hotel, but as it was about 30degrees at my stay and the room didn't have airconditioning, I didn sleep that godd even though the bed was very good.
Nice staff and a very nice breakfast

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business