“Value for money”
Review of Wikinger Hof

Wikinger Hof
Ranked #298 of 322 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Cheapest hotel available in central Hamburg, searching the web a few days before leaving home. Having read all the negative reviews about ants in the room, not necessarily bath on the same flight, and climbing narrow steps to the reception on the 3rd floor etc., we didn´t expect much at the arrival.
We were welcomed in the reception on the first!!! floor, by a warmhearted patron of indian or pakistani descend, who gave us a room, one step up, to the busy Steindam. The room had everything needed, also private bath!!! Checked for ants... no ants!
The street was full of life, green grocers, döner kebab grills and the mosque down the street opposite the hotel. This was definately the turkish area.
The location is absolutely fabulous, with gay St. Georg barrio round the corner, and the central station down the street.
Yes, we´ll come back again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gaardhund

Reviewed 15 December 2012

I give the hotel 5-stars due to the fact of the value of the price I paid.

Now of course this is not a "5-star" hotel but essentially my 5-star rating determines if it met my expectations and needs. I paid 42 euros for one night for 2 people. The room is spacious enough that I didn't feel crammed. It included a small balcony which I did not need. I had a shared bathroom which was suitable and didn't have any awkward moments waiting for someone to finish as the floors are small. There are only approximately 4 rooms each floor so the shared bathroom isn't an issue. The staff was super friendly and accommodating. The wifi was 5 euros for one day and was very fast. The free breakfast was a standard german breakfast with good coffee and juice, bread, meats, cheese, etc.

Some people go on about the sex shops and how the street is sketchy. No, it's just like any other street in any other city. Yes there are sex shops but it doesn't make this a "sketchy" street.

Location was a 5-10 minute walk from the main station. A straight shot if you take the Steindamm exit from the train station.

So for the free breakfast, great wifi, price, and location for 2 people at only 42 euro, this place earns a 5-star which means I would stay here again if needed.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Benjamin Z
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Stayed here for four nights with my daughter. The location was convenient for getting around Hamburg and just a short walk from Central Station. The rooms were clean but a bit dated but felt this was reflected in the low cost. Breakfast was good, staff helpful and friendly. Only draw back is there is no lift and a lot of stairs to climb with luggage. This Hotel is not suitable for anyone with mobility problems.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank kimsalter57
Reviewed 30 October 2012

The hotel is not really up to date. Parking is nearly impossible in that area. No lift, the hotel starts on the third floor of the building (my room was on the fifth or sixth floor). Shared bathroom that could do with more regular cleaning. The room was a bit dirty. Carpet old and used with many marks. Bed sheets and towels had holes from cigarettes. The TV had only few channels that were still viewable due to heavy snow in the image.

The breakfast was good though. Nice German rolls, cheese, sliced sausage, jams, coffee, several varieties of tea, juice, milk etc.

The area is in my opinion very nice. The quarter "St. Georg" where the hotel is located is a very mixed quarter. It's home to Hamburgs Muslim community with many mosques, Turkish and Arabic supermarkets and Turkish restaurants as well as being know for Hamburgs gay community. It's in walking distance (10 minutes) to Hamburg central station and a tube station (line U1) is just 3 minutes away. There's also a LIDL and a big Turkish supermarket opposite of the hotel

Room Tip: If you don't like steep staircases ask for a room on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank StevenHR4
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I paid 9 months in advance to get the discounted no refund price for five nights at the end of August. I saw their pictures, and I did read a bad review of hotel, but I gave it the benefit if the doubt. Big mistake. From the first instant of stepping off the street to face a steep staircase to all that ensued, which includes a bathroom I would not put a thong in, I decided life was too short. I did not stay. I went up the street and for not much more, booked into a civilised hotel. I returned and aired my polite response to the condition of the hotel to 'the front desk' ans asked for half my money to be refunded. Not possible was the reply.They offered to exchange the room for another in one of the other sixteen hotels they own, with me paying the extra rate for the better hotel, but I declined. I leave it to all travellers to read the negative reviews from people who take the time to write them. I did not pay heed , and instead paid the real price in euros and time wasted.

Room Tip: Just dont stay here if you value real value and cleanliness.
Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Larrylu
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Really cheap hotel in central Hamburg. Rooms were ok with shared bathroom and shower on the top floor. Nice and friendly personal who were really helpful. Good breakfast. My Girlfriend booked the hotel and my expectations were very low. I was really surprised by the value for the money spent.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MIBDK
Reviewed 4 February 2012

The hotel is relly a cheap one to stay at, and it looks accordingly to the price: not dirty, but a bit worn-out. I'd say it's OK for an overnight stay.
The reception is open 24/7. The breakfast was OK. The wireless Internet connection was unstable in different parts of the room.

By the way, the closest station to the hotel is called Lohmühlenstraße (U1). If you want to go straight to the central station, prepare for a short walk through a quarter of sex cinemas and casinos.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo