“Truly Excellent, a great place to stay”
Review of ARCOTEL Onyx

ARCOTEL Onyx
Ranked #21 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Like others here I had some concerns about staying in a brand new hotel, but these soon disappeared once I had finished my check-in. The room is very comfortable, well equipped and very quiet. Service at the bar in the lobby was also fantastic. I would definitely go back next time I am in Hamburg.

Room Tip: No tips to add - seemed to me that all rooms were good with excellent sound proofing
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Svantje N, Leiter Front Office at ARCOTEL Onyx, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Dear scimitar65 ,

Thank you very much for staying at the ARCOTEL Onyx Hamburg and for taking the time to write this feedback.

Especially due to comments from our guests we are able to continually improve our high level of quality and service.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are committed to making you feel at home when you are away from home.

We would like to wish you all the best and look forward to welcoming you again at ARCOTEL Onyx in the near future.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a recent trade show and was a little concerned given the area, but was reassured by the reviews on TA. It's a new hotel and even the taxi driver had a problem finding it. But on arrival I was immediately impressed. Check-in was efficient and friendly and the lobby including a nice bar area is attractive.
My room was one of those with a circular bed and overhead mirror, which took a little getting used to, but was very comfortable, The bathroom was a good size and though no bath tub, had a large, powerfull shower. Wi-fi worked well and is 9 euros for 24 hours. Breakfast was served in the building adjacent to the hotel and had a good selection of both hot and cold food and I believe it is open in the evening for a reasonably priced dinner buffet. There is also a small cafe behind the bar for those just wanting a light breakfast.
I can't say too much about the area as I was at the trade show on both days then in other parts of Hamburg during the evenings, but given the famous area the hotel is in, it is very much as you would expect. I would certainly recommend this hotel especially if attending the Hamburg Messe. It is only 5-6 euros in a taxi, or a short train journey and it you were feeling energetic it's only around a 30 min stroll.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Soluta,

Reviewed 3 September 2012

Really loved the ambience and feel of this hotel. The interior design was tastefully thought out and very welcoming. My room was extremely clean and the bed, really comfortable - slept like a baby!
Facilities available include a gym, steam room, sauna and lounge area (shame no jacuzzi), with fresh fruit and tea point for refreshment. The steam room and sauna is switched on by request, if used before 5pm in the evening (great energy saving measure).
The staff were extremely polite and spoke really good English.
I am unable unable to comment on the quality and taste of the food as I always ate out.
Conveniently located near a train station - St Pauli and in a busy tourist area.
Downside? The hotel is situated in a very notorious area (Red-light district) and on-going building work outside the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Dear STORM369,

Reviewed 20 August 2012

beautifully done, cozy and comfortable.
perfect location.
impeccably clean.
good value for money.
highly recommended !!!
the wow factor of this hotel lies in what you get for what you pay and it's convenient location. inspite of being in the heart of the pulsating nightlife of st. pauli with all the clubs, pubs and the occasional police sirens, one hears nothing inside the room.

Room Tip: there are rooms available for smokers. inquire at the reception.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coltranedreams
Svantje N, Leiter Front Office at ARCOTEL Onyx, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear Mr. Coltranedrams,

Thank you very much for staying at the ARCOTEL Onyx Hamburg and for taking the time to write a feedback.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

They have a very good location on one of the most famous streets in the city. There's the red light district all along the street and then several streets of pubs/bars and a couple discos too. The hotel is really nice and has a unique architecture. The best part is that when you are done for the night, you can just walk up the street and you can't miss the hotel. I found the prices for everything to be fairly reasonable as well.

I had a little difficulty finding the hotel at first because my iPhone's GPS wasn't working (and I don't recommend relying on your GPS in this area). There is also a lot of construction going on around the hotel. Once you get an idea of where the hotel is, you can't loose it. It was a nice stay and a good value.

Room Tip: While all of their rooms are probably nice, I would request a high floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank rampage76
Svantje N, Assistant Front Office Manager at ARCOTEL Onyx, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Dear rampage76,

Thank you very much for staying at the ARCOTEL Onyx Hamburg and for taking the time to fill in the feedback on www.tripadvisor.com.

Best regards,

JANINA BORMANN
Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed here on business and the stay was fine, mostly. Nice room, good value. Unfortunately, I left two items of (new, expensive) running clothing drying in the bathroom, and these were not handed in by the chambermaid. The management compounded this by refusing to apologize for the error, accused me of lying about having left them there, and was aggressive in tone on the phone and in emails.
I cannot recommend this hotel- the management left a poor impression on me, and a hotel's management is the be-all and end-all of a hotel's service.

Room Tip: 731 on the top floor, with a 2.5m round bed....
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tim C
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I found this new hotel whilst searching the internet for somewhere to stay in Hamburg. It officially opened on 1st June but unofficially 2 weeks beforehand, my husband and I stayed there 2nd to 4th June. It is a really funky hotel, I loved it. i originally booked a Comfort room but when we arrived Steph at reception asked us if we wanted to upgrade to a Superior room for an extra €20 per night. We did upgrade and were really happy with the room, lots of yellow of course, but that seems to be the colour scheme throughout, and art seems to be the decor of all Acrotels. The bed was round with a round mirror on the ceiling, the room was big enough for our needs and well set out. The bathroom was roomy and clean, I love going to new hotels for this reason. I didn't care that there wasn't a bath, I think you only find them in much older hotels these days. But if I had a complaint it would be that I kept knocking the shower tap whilst showering and kept turning it off, it seemed to be in the wrong place, and I am only a small person. The location was great, we weren't bothered by noise from the Reeperbahn, we had a good look around the first night (a Saturday) and enjoyed watching the partygoers, we also enjoyed some nice meals whilst we were there. From the hotel it was a 2 minute walk to the port where there were many restaurants, boat cruises and bus tours. We didn't have breakfast included in our stay so I can't comment on that, but we did have free wi-fi in our room which was excellent. There is also a small business centre opposite reception which you can use for free. A very good location and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sak06
Svantje N, Leiter Front Office at ARCOTEL Onyx, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Dear Sak06,

Thank you very much for staying at the ARCOTEL Onyx Hamburg and for taking the time to write afeedback at www.tripadvisor.de.