“And non-German speaker ripped off” 1 of 5 bubbles

Type: City Tours, Tours
Hamburg, Germany
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“And non-German speaker ripped off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have lived in Hamburg for 10+ years. My German partner and I decided to go out for a round the town on Line 1, Red Bus. We did this as tourists in 2003 and THEN it was a fine experience. The bus was equipped with head phones and English, of course, was included.) NO such thing now. Barely any English spoken in the narration. Long explanations in Germans and if anything...one sentence in English, bad English to boot. If I had not lived here, none of the locations ZIPPED by would have meant a darned thing. The town is filled with museums. NOT ONE was mentioned by an English name, if even mentioned. If APPEARS this "tourist" experience is meant to be ONLY for Germans or German speaking tourists. BUT must also say that in many of the museums the placards explaining are ONLY in German. So perhaps Germany does not cater to the non-German speaking PAYING public. VERY sad. Oh yes, the directions on the bus are ONLY in German.

1 Thank Bud101

Penang Island, Malaysia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Hop on Hop Off Bus Tour”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I visited Hamburg and took the Hop In Hop Off bus tour and I found it a ripped off cos the guide who was suppose to speak in English spoke German most of the time so we could not understand and could not stop cos we don't know the tourist attraction and by the time we saw it it was too late to stop so we just took a round trip for 17.50 euros and worst when we board the bus we ask for the harbour cruise as we'll but later when we asked where are we suppose to stop at board the cruise they told me we are not stoping there and ask us to take a train to the destination.we protested telling that they should not sell us the cruise cos they are not stopping and finally we got our refund .

THE Canal Cruise was worth it

2 Thank Chong H
Fareham
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

We decided to try the Hop on, Hop off bus tour and felt totally ripped off. The narrative was in both German and English, with accent on the German. By the time you got to the English part - it had gone! Plus the bus was going too fast for any photos. Hamburg is a beautiful city with so much to offer. The difference in modern architecture is amazing, even though I don't normally notice these things. So even though it may cost a bit more, if we go back I would negotiate a price for a taxi, and do a river trip. Leave the red buses alone!
Most important, we were told these buses have wheelchair access, they don't!

2 Thank AnnFareham
Dublin, Ireland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Bus Tour Hamburg”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I recently visited Hamburg and took a Bus tour HCV GMBH Red buses. We paid 17 euro each and 2 of the party spoke German. It was supposed to be given in English and German. To say it was a total rip off is an understatement Dominic the guide spoke over 3/4 in German and a few English words thrown in, my son was able to translate for me otherwise I would have gone around learning absolutely nothing from this tour. Very disappointing if you only speak English DONT USE THIS COMPANY

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Annec07
France
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Why no proper english translations ?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I am sooo surprised that such big cities like Hamburg do not have automatic english translations, or audioguides with all languages etc?!
Great bus + boat tour, however we chose the adventure even if there was no proper english version of the tour.
If you understand a bit of german you can still catch words but the guide is speaking very fast.
The guide was however trying to translate the essential points in english, but as german version came first, english translation was always coming when we are already too far from the thing to be observed ..
On boat, 100% german version.

Worth the tour anyway by a rainy day, good overview of the town, moreover you can stop and get down whenever you want and catch up with the next bus!

Visited April 2014