“WOULD RATE ZERO IF ALLOWED...AWFUL, JUST AWFUL”
Review of Hamburg City Tour

Hamburg City Tour
Ranked #89 of 115 Tours in Hamburg
Type: City Tours, Tours
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I am specifically sharing our experience with the Stadtrundfahrt Linie A, aka Red Double Decker Hop on / Hop off City Bus Tour, Line A. Having read reviews which lamented the lack of English speaking guides, we made it a point to select one that advertised English-speaking guides. We figured not having to worry about driving or where to go had to be better than nothing. Wow, were we wrong! Our first guide, while friendly, spoke German 80% of the time. The map provided wasn't very good either, so we had no idea of where we were or what we were seeing. The ticket entitled us to a full day of hop on / hop off sightseeing, yet when we hopped on for a second round, the driver gave us a hard time, as if we were trying to pull a fast one. The second guide was even worse. He spoke almost all German and his English was so poor that what little he spoke was unintelligible.

We can attest to the fact that the drivers alter the route to their convenience and they do not stop at every single stop, even though they are supposed to do so. Knowing that they were supposed to stop and pick up or drop tourists at 28 stops, my spouse stepped off for 2 minutes of picture taking, to which driver agreed, only to be left behind! We knew buses were scheduled every 20 minutes but he had to wait almost an hour before the next bus showed and eventually caught up with me.

Hamburg is a prosperous, interesting and pretty city but they don't have a clue about tourism or else they wouldn't allow shysters like this company to operate. Having said that, there is no other alternative, so unless you speak German, expect NOTHING as that is exactly what you will get out of this tour.

4  Thank bossyvossy

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We have been on lots of hop on off buses but this was the worst. Firstly you can see everything on foot we stayed at the Madison Hotel highly recommended which is close to the harbour and city. Secondly as other travellers have said the documentary is only German we had to have word with the guide who then gave us some in English. As other reviews would not go on the red bus the other buses I do not know.

3  Thank cahersiveen
Reviewed 25 May 2014

ATS operate most of the tour boats leaving from the city centre. We were given translation machines which were broken, all commentary in German, no apology or offer of refund from very arrogant staff.
It is a lovely area.....see it with someone else!

3  Thank Bruce K
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have lived in Hamburg for 10+ years. My German partner and I decided to go out for a round the town on Line 1, Red Bus. We did this as tourists in 2003 and THEN it was a fine experience. The bus was equipped with head phones and English, of course, was included.) NO such thing now. Barely any English spoken in the narration. Long explanations in Germans and if anything...one sentence in English, bad English to boot. If I had not lived here, none of the locations ZIPPED by would have meant a darned thing. The town is filled with museums. NOT ONE was mentioned by an English name, if even mentioned. If APPEARS this "tourist" experience is meant to be ONLY for Germans or German speaking tourists. BUT must also say that in many of the museums the placards explaining are ONLY in German. So perhaps Germany does not cater to the non-German speaking PAYING public. VERY sad. Oh yes, the directions on the bus are ONLY in German.

1  Thank Bud101
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I visited Hamburg and took the Hop In Hop Off bus tour and I found it a ripped off cos the guide who was suppose to speak in English spoke German most of the time so we could not understand and could not stop cos we don't know the tourist attraction and by the time we saw it it was too late to stop so we just took a round trip for 17.50 euros and worst when we board the bus we ask for the harbour cruise as we'll but later when we asked where are we suppose to stop at board the cruise they told me we are not stoping there and ask us to take a train to the destination.we protested telling that they should not sell us the cruise cos they are not stopping and finally we got our refund .

THE Canal Cruise was worth it