“Small triangular room, but very clean and an interesting view of the river.”

Hotel Hafen Hamburg
Ranked #72 of 319 Hotels in Hamburg
Belper, United Kingdom
“Small triangular room, but very clean and an interesting view of the river.”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The reception smelt like a gas leak, the smell was so strong, I thought there really was a gas leak. Small room, strange triangular shape, but very clean and fresh. The restaurant was good, for both breakfast and dinner. Friendly staff, very courteous & efficient. I would stay here again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Warren C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Turkish first
Olandese
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My colleagues from Hamburg office booked a room in Hotel Hafen Hamburg and it was a good and pleasant experience.
Close to the centre where there are loads of restaurants and bars of all nationalities.
Rooms are spacious,very well maintained,clean and comfortable beds.
Bathroom is spacious as well.Not too many hotels are equiped in this way these days in this price rating.
A fantastic view over the port of Hamburg.A good restaurant and friendly and helpfull staff.
A minor thing though is the price of the parking (below) garage.€16 is quite a lot.But there are cheaper solutions in the vicinity.Breakfast is €20,- which is high:then again,quality andd variety of the breakfast is of a higher standard.Definetely recommended stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank buonviaggio66
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Unfortunately I ended up in a small single room without a view. In fact the view was of the elevator shaft right in front of my window. When the booking was made this was not clear and I was under the impression that I would get a standard hotel room with a double bed and (if not a riverview) at least a street view. The closet space is very small and also the desk. The room has a single bed and a small bathroom. When I went to the reception to see if there was a better room available I could only get one at substantial additional charges. Otherwise the room was clean, modern and well maintained. The reception was friendly but did not inform me about breakfast location or time. Since I was in Hamburg for business I also made use of the meeting facilities. They are good and also the restaurant for lunch was excellent. Big plus is the excellent wifi, although it takes some efforts to get on line. Connection with the airport is very good with the train. If you have much lugguage the steps to get up to the hotel may be an problem. The bartender in the pub was more busy playing with his phonme than watching his costomers. Whem we did not give him a tip he was very rude about it.

Room Tip: Try to get a river view and check about the size of the room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard4570
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel mainly for only one reason; we passed by and thought it would be very nice to have a drink whilst enjoying the view of their Tower Bar. When we entered the hotel and looked for this place there seemed to be an empty lobby. There was a small desk but no one near this desk to direct us to the bar (this turned out to be a side entrance or something, but not their main lobby). When we found our way to the top, it turned out that the bar would open at 6 pm. We decided to go to their other bar and to come back at 6. We visited their Bier Stube (and found the real hotel lobby) which was nice. It remembered me some how to some cafés in Amsterdam with many pictures of long gone celebs who once visited this place. In every corner was an object related to sailors.
Later on we went back to the Tower Bar to enjoy the view. The view is amazing with views to the harbor and skyline of Hamburg! The place could use some maintenance and also the furniture might need an upgrade.
The service was the worst I have had in a long time. The waitress was very rushed (even though the place was almost empty and other staff was literally hanging at the bar) and downright unfriendly. When she brought our beers we inquired about their happy hour, but she shouted this was only for cocktails. After this beer we decided to go back to our hotel (SIDE, which is defiantly worth a visit!!!!) and enjoy a cocktail over there. When setting the bill, again no smile, no please, no thank you! Too bad...

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank FlorisDW
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

My room was very beautiful, very clean and spacious and the bathroom was massive but in contrast my colleagues got very tiny rooms and in the toilet you could hardly make a turn.Breakfast was very good, there was a wide choice of food.I was just there fir one night

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Foster M
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 23 January 2014

The hotel is fairly old but very well maintained, staff are friendly and were always greeting with a smile. Bed and pillows ...LOVED THEM! However, I feel I need to note the following: I had received a fruit platter upon arrival. One night after being told by reception that the kitchen was closed and I could "eat the Pringles in my minibar", I opted for the banana. To my dismay, after 2 days, the banana peel was still in my room, untouched along with the now over-ripe fruit. The water was not replaced daily, I drank sparingly on the same bottle to avoid running out. I called to mention that there was a very loud noise coming from my bathroom and that I couldn't sleep (this was the first night), and by night 4 the noise had still not been addressed and lastly, my turndown amenities seemed to arrive before my room was even made up. I would like to suggest adding maybe an English movie channel as all I could watch was BBC news and CNN. Wifi connection was also not very good. I will however comment that the breakfast was amazing! The hostess and staff were efficient and friendly - definitely the best part of my stay - and I'm not even a morning person. Overall, the hotel and it's venues, especially the bar in the reception are lovely but I couldn't help but feel a bit ignored.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank TarrynAdamsKihler09
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The hotel has a nice view over the harbour (upgraded room) and and a central location.

The staff is very attentive and serviceminded above the expected.
Eat there as well, the food was surprisingly good with absolute value for the money.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a room with view to the docs.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business