I stayed at the Le Meridien Royal Hamburg for 4 nights in September as part of my 3-week vacation in Germany. The stay consisted of 2 Deluxe rooms with views to the Alster Lakes. Overall, the hotel was of acceptable quality but didn't quite meet my expectations for a 5-star hotel, especially in comparison with other 5-star hotels that I have stayed at during this particular vacation or in the past.
1. Hotel was generally clean and well-maintained.
2. Hotel staff were generally friendly and courteous.
3. The hotel restaurant, Le Ciel, has excellent views of the lake. The food is also quite decent at dinner time; breakfast was not too bad.
4. The power shower was quite relaxing after a day of sightseeing, although you need to be careful that you don't flood the rest of the bathroom. A shower door would have been preferable to the shower curtain that is provided.
5. Complimentary mini-bar is quite useful. The selection of beverages in the mini-bar is limited (Coke, Sprite, beer) but as it was complimentary, no complaints from me.
6. Spa service (had a facial for men) was quite good and price was reasonable.
7. Beds were very comfortable.
1. Location is not the most convenient. It's about a 5-10 minute walk to the nearest U-bahn station (Hauptbahnhof) and about a 10-15 minute walk into the city centre (i.e. Jungfernstieg/Rathaus area.
2. It was quite odd that a 5-star hotel would not be offering turndown service (I think Le Meridien only offers turndown service for suites), especially for a SPG Gold client.
3. The hotel lobby is quite crowded. The decor may not be to everyone's taste (it can be interpreted as "modern" while those less favourable to the design might call it "tacky")
4. Internet access rates were extremely high and connection were not particularly fast.
5. Rooms are quite small for the price that they charge.
6. I didn't receive any noticeable SPG Gold benefits during my stay at the hotel, other than the bonus Starpoints that all gold members receive.
1. When I was planning my trip and making inquiries on rooms, the hotel could not guarantee a non-smoking Executive room although they could do so for Deluxe rooms?! The hotel has non-smoking floors so I don't understand why they wouldn't be able to guarantee a non-smoking Executive room over 6 months in advance.
2. Despite making reservations many months in advance, the hotel could not meet very simple requests such as a room on a higher floor. Instead, we got a lake-view room on the 3rd floor which really didn't have a view since they were blocked by trees.
3. The concierge was not particularly helpful, especially one individual working the evening shift. HIs responses were curt and bordering on obnoxious and he seemed disinterested in the client (wasn't even looking at the client when answering his questions). He seemed more interested in getting back to his conversations with his colleagues than in serving the client.
Overall, the hotel offered a satisfactory experience but lacked the "wow" factor that I experienced in other hotels on the same trip. Unfortunately, there were enough negative factors to seriously offset the numerous good things that the hotel offered. I would seriously consider exploring staying at a different hotel if I were to visit Hamburg again in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Le Meridien Hamburg, idyllically situated at the Outhern Alster lake in the trendy district St. Georg offers 275 rooms including 14 suites (with Alsterview). All rooms provide LED-TVs and high-speed internet. Free daily newspapers and tea + coffee preparation facilities are featured in the Le Meridien Hamburg's air-conditioned rooms + suites. All throughout the hotel guests can receive complimentary Wi-Fi access. Bathrobes and high-quality toiletries are provided in the elegant bathrooms. Innovative variations of Mediterranean cuisine, inspired by Hanseatic style are served in the restaurant Le Ciel on the 9th floor of the hotel with a panoramic view of the Outhern Alster lake. Guests are offered a free boat trip on the Alster as part of the Unlock Art™ Programme. The hotel spa "Emotion Spa" with a fitness center offers various possibilities for recreation + relaxation. Le Meridien Hamburg owns 13 conference rooms with an event area of total 721 m². Discover ,,Meetings with a View"- conferences and events with a breathtaking view of the Alster lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Le Meridien Hamburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Meridien Royal Hamburg Hotel Hamburg
- Meridien Royal Hamburg
- Hamburg Le Meridien