“Satisfactory but rather underwhelming”

Le Meridien Hamburg
Ranked #27 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Montreal, Canada
“Satisfactory but rather underwhelming”
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I stayed at the Le Meridien Royal Hamburg for 4 nights in September as part of my 3-week vacation in Germany. The stay consisted of 2 Deluxe rooms with views to the Alster Lakes. Overall, the hotel was of acceptable quality but didn't quite meet my expectations for a 5-star hotel, especially in comparison with other 5-star hotels that I have stayed at during this particular vacation or in the past.

The Good:
1. Hotel was generally clean and well-maintained.
2. Hotel staff were generally friendly and courteous.
3. The hotel restaurant, Le Ciel, has excellent views of the lake. The food is also quite decent at dinner time; breakfast was not too bad.
4. The power shower was quite relaxing after a day of sightseeing, although you need to be careful that you don't flood the rest of the bathroom. A shower door would have been preferable to the shower curtain that is provided.
5. Complimentary mini-bar is quite useful. The selection of beverages in the mini-bar is limited (Coke, Sprite, beer) but as it was complimentary, no complaints from me.
6. Spa service (had a facial for men) was quite good and price was reasonable.
7. Beds were very comfortable.

The Not-so-Good:
1. Location is not the most convenient. It's about a 5-10 minute walk to the nearest U-bahn station (Hauptbahnhof) and about a 10-15 minute walk into the city centre (i.e. Jungfernstieg/Rathaus area.
2. It was quite odd that a 5-star hotel would not be offering turndown service (I think Le Meridien only offers turndown service for suites), especially for a SPG Gold client.
3. The hotel lobby is quite crowded. The decor may not be to everyone's taste (it can be interpreted as "modern" while those less favourable to the design might call it "tacky")
4. Internet access rates were extremely high and connection were not particularly fast.
5. Rooms are quite small for the price that they charge.
6. I didn't receive any noticeable SPG Gold benefits during my stay at the hotel, other than the bonus Starpoints that all gold members receive.

The Bad:
1. When I was planning my trip and making inquiries on rooms, the hotel could not guarantee a non-smoking Executive room although they could do so for Deluxe rooms?! The hotel has non-smoking floors so I don't understand why they wouldn't be able to guarantee a non-smoking Executive room over 6 months in advance.
2. Despite making reservations many months in advance, the hotel could not meet very simple requests such as a room on a higher floor. Instead, we got a lake-view room on the 3rd floor which really didn't have a view since they were blocked by trees.
3. The concierge was not particularly helpful, especially one individual working the evening shift. HIs responses were curt and bordering on obnoxious and he seemed disinterested in the client (wasn't even looking at the client when answering his questions). He seemed more interested in getting back to his conversations with his colleagues than in serving the client.

Overall, the hotel offered a satisfactory experience but lacked the "wow" factor that I experienced in other hotels on the same trip. Unfortunately, there were enough negative factors to seriously offset the numerous good things that the hotel offered. I would seriously consider exploring staying at a different hotel if I were to visit Hamburg again in the future.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
GRMHamburg, Manager at Le Meridien Hamburg, responded to this review, 23 June 2010
Dear Montreal_Boy,

Thank you very much for staying at Le Royal Méridien Hamburg and for taking the time to write a comment with www.tripadvsior.com Due to the comments and suggestions from our guests, we are continually able to improve our high level of quality and service.

I do fervently apologize that your residing in the hotel was unsatisfying and that you could not enjoy this beautiful city in full, due to various negative occurrences. Our customer satisfaction is of utmost importance and is indeed our job one in the hotel. We greatly cherish your patronage and are well aware of your superior status as a SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) Gold Member.

We take great pride in making our patrons feel at home when they are away from home.

When a customer makes a reservation in our hotel, we go out of our way to fulfil all his wishes and anticipations. If a guest asks for a room on an upper floor we make a note in the computer and almost always fulfil their wish. I do not understand why your wish for a room on an upper did not work out. Also, we always guarantee non-smoking rooms to guest. We are a predominantly non-smoking hotel and always execute the wish of our clients. I am very sorry for the former.

Also, I do apologize about the behaviour of the concierge member. This in no way represents our first class service. We have spoken with the involved departments.

Concerning the shower doors, we will replace the curtains with glass doors in the future. However, the bathroom should still not have flooeded. Agsin, I do apologize for this as well.

The benefits you receive as a SPG Gold Member should have been obvious to you. Gold Members receive the best room in the booked category, a free newspaper to your choice, a free late check-out, bonus star points, a room on our SPG Floor, extra water and amenities in the bathroom.

Again, we are yet again very sorry about the troubles you encountered on your stay. We hope very much to be able to greet you again in the near future in order to persuade you of our excellent service and facilities.

Olivia von Hünersdorff
Guest Relations Executive Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Located about a 10 minute stroll from the central railway station and slightly further to the Jungfernstieg and the Rathaus, right on the Aussenalster Lake , Le Meridien Royal was an ideal choice for a weekend break in Hamburg. We were here for the Christopher Street Day celebrations so this hotel was also ideal for the St Georg gay venues. We'd decided to splurge for the weekend but still got a reasonable price - but it's certainly not a budget option.

The hotel is modern, and the room reflected this - Scandanavian chic with wood flooring, modern furnishings and colouring and some eclectic artwork. If you're looking for big comfortable armchairs then look again, but I liked it.

The room had all the usual accoutrements - big comfortable bed, good TV and entertainment package, a free minibar, with a couple of beers, soft drinks and mineral waters, tea and coffee making facilities, including a cafetiere so it was nice to have decent coffee in the room (although the stylish kettle was far too big to fill from the bathroom sink - a bit of a triumph of style over substance !)

The bathroom was smallish but again had all you'd require, includng a lovely large shower, and nice big robes to wrap up in after.

The 9th floor has a restaurant and and bar which were nice spots to watch dusk settle over the the lake. We dined out in the evening so can't comment on the food ,although others there rated it highly. Breakfast was excellent. The bar was perhaps a little small - on our first evening we gave it a miss as it was too crowded - but we enjoyed a relaxing drink on subsequent evenings there.

Friendly, efficient staff, on the front desk, at the concierge and in the bar - always ready to help and recommend.

A couple of irritations :-
- the room was equipped with one of these ludicrous Corby combi iron/trouser presses, these might be fine for Snow White's cottage but for people of regular stature please give us grown up ironing boards !
- the gym is pretty small for a hotel of this size, and certainly needs better air conditioning, I didn't need a sauna session after my work out here.

So if you're looking for somewhere modern with a quirky side, reasonably central, that runs like clockwork, this may be for you.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
GRMHamburg, Manager at Le Meridien Hamburg, responded to this review, 4 July 2010
Dear SURREYCELT,

Thank you very much for staying at Le Royal Méridien Hamburg and for taking the time to write a comment about our stay in www.tripadvisor.de. Due to the comments and suggestions from our guests, we are continually able to improve our high level of quality and service.

We are delighted to hear that you very much enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a very good impression of the hotel. It was indeed a pleasure to have you here.

If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

It was a pleasure to welcome you and we hope very much to be able to greet you again in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 July 2009

I truly enjoyed my one night stay at the Le Royal Meridien Hamburg. The location is great and the rooms are a nice size. Loved the complimentary minibar! Walking distance from shops and great restaurants and beautiful view of the Alster Lake! The shower was one of the best I have experienced in a hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear TravelGirlORD,

The power showers are indeed wonderful. Thank you for all the compliments. It is really nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

London
Reviewed 25 July 2009

An overall good hotel- very modern and quite quirky (I am getting a bit confused tho what the Meridien chain stands for as stayed in 3 in the last few weeks and all different so no consistency unlike its sister groups -Sheraton and Westin where you know what you will get).
I liked the coffee making facils in the room- you even get a cafetiere and fresh coffee, plus free minibar is good (2 bottles of water, 2 bottles beer, 2 soft drinks- before you get wildly excited!). The room is minimalist, with fairly comfortable furniture- although putting a small divan within inches of the flat screen TV is a bit pointless as far too close... Good walk in shower in the trendy bathroom, and standalone trendy bath as well in there. Overall well designed rooms with comfy beds..
Very surprizing tho that no turn-down service...
The reception and c/s staff were average.for this level of hotel, but fine. Top marks tho to the concierge who was ultra helpful. Taxis stand just outside so easy to grab a car.
There is a small pool and gym in the basement. Average. But great massage. Not exactly a spa but regardless- for a massage- very high standards.
The restaurant on the 9th floor with a small bar next to it is good- as has very nice views across the lake. Good for killing time when torrential rain outside. (the one on the ground floor is dark and gloomy tho...)
The location is ok- 5 mins walk to the main art gallery, 10 mins fast walk to the main station from where you can do city tours by bus, 10-15 mins in to the main shopping streets and city centre. The lake is across a relatively busy road infront of the hotel. The weather was atrocious so I did not do any lake cruises but think there are some just opposite the hotel?
My room however did not have a decent view. Initially I was told I had a great room so was a bit disappointed (partic as a gold car holder) when I walked in to find a city view- or rather a wall view of the close up building next door... the next room at least afforded the glimpse of a tree amongst walls and roofs.. had I been lake facing I think I would have been happier and rated this hotel higher.. and would probably have stayed there again- as it is I am due back shortly and trying out the Intercontinental (cracking location next to the lake in a very peaceful area) or Marriott which is more down-town on the water tho too( they tend to treat loyal customers much better..) . Other hotels to note are the ones set around the lake in the more residential locations- beautiful. (Whilst the Hyatt is oddly above shops in the main shopping street. The Atlantic is near to the Meridien- the lobby is interesting but it overall looks quite old fashioned. )

Dear Kate70,

All suite and deluxe rooms get an automatic turndown service. We do, of course, offer turndown services upon request.

Further, while staying at our hotel, we offer a free boat ride around the beautiful Alster Lake. You just have to show your key card to the captain and you can bord the boat. It takes about one and a half hours and it is really worth doing.

We are disappointed that you have a negative impression of our guest loyalty program. We want to reassure you that it is very important for us to fulfill all of your needs. We have a strong loyalty program ín the hotel group. Please visit us again in the near future, in order for us to persuade you of our excellent service and facilities.

US
Reviewed 14 July 2009

So, I have never rated a hotel this highly. And I thought I had been impressed before! This hotel and accompanying staff blew me away. Beginning from my arrival, the valet and reception staff were so friendly. Check-in was a breeze and I was alerted that all drinks I'd find in the room are complimentary (what?!). I was also told I could pick up an apple and water at the table behind me...
My room was great - such a modern feel but so comfortable and useful. I love it when design meets convenience... There were outlets everywhere I needed one. There were hooks where I needed them. There was a neato fold out ironing board station that just looked like a fancy mirror. The super huge shower stall was cleverly disguised behind a frosted glass wall. Plus, cool claw tub, in you want a bath. The little details were present, too, in typical Le Meridien fashion: free admission to Deichtorhallen Hamburg.
Also, it was walking distance to shops. Across the street, a beautiful lake is there to be seen. The food was superb and the wait staff seemed to take a genuine interest in you.
I really liked the hotel, if you can't tell.

2 Thank rileigh15
Dear rileigh15,

We are delighted to hear that you very much enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a very good impression of the hotel. It was indeed a pleasure to have you here! Thank you for all your kind words of praise.

NYC
Reviewed 14 July 2009

The hotel is a breath of fresh air in the hotel world in Hamburg.
Loved it all the way!

Dear ctinom,

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 10 July 2009

A very comfortable, stylish hotel. The location is lakeside with an almost rural feeling, yet the hotel is only a short walk to the main trainstation and center of Hamburg.
The staff was cheerful and professional. Though not "cheap," the hotel was a good value. The breakfast room alone is worth a stay.
The hotel is also a convenient walk to bars and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
GRMHamburg, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Hamburg, responded to this review, 13 July 2009
Dear Georgemia,

Thank you very much for staying at Le Royal Méridien Hamburg and for taking the time to fill in our guest questionnaire. Due to the comments and suggestions from our guests, we are continually able to improve our high level of quality and service.

We look very much forward to welcoming you again in the very near future.

Olivia von Hünersdorff