“personally, i wouldnt bother”
Review of Hotel Lumen

Hotel Lumen
Ranked #269 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“personally, i wouldnt bother”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Firstly, look at Google street view before you decide you want to book here. The carefully digitally altered photos of the hotel are misleading, so look on Google Street view at it. Also it’s very easy for you to find – you’ll see the big blue ‘sex shop’ sign way before you’ll see the hotels sign!
A group of us stayed here end of march, we were given rooms on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors.
The sex shop is now only under half the hotel, the other half is currently being outfitted as a grocery store.
The room I had was on the 3rd floor and at the front of the building. It was small, but had a double bed with two single sized duvets, two pillows which looked full and plump but flattened out to paper thin within milliseconds on my head touching them. The room stank of stale smoke. The bathroom was small but had a corner shower, sink and toilet, which were all clean, though the carpet in the room looked dirty and worn out.
The hotel reception looks bright enough, but the corridor and stairwell leading up to the rooms was worn, dim and the floorboards were very creaky. There I a lift, but it opens out onto the stairwell in between floors so you still have one flight to go up with your luggage.
I was not impressed and was grateful it was only one night. I’m also not used to having to hand in the key to my room when I leave!
Out of our group of four, only one person got any sleep that night (he was quite drunk though). The rest of us got the odd few hours only, though for different reasons.
One of these rooms on the first floor was behind reception, and located above the sex shop. There was music coming from somewhere (most likely the sex shop as it has a cinema in it) all night long keeping my colleague awake, the music stopped around 6am, but shortly afterwards, people started appearing in the reception area for breakfast waking him up again.
The other two rooms were both located at the front of the hotel facing the road below. This is a cobbled road, which seems to carry a lot of traffic.
One of these rooms was ‘sex shop side’, the other was above the empty grocery store.
Neither or us got any sleep in these rooms either, the noise from the cobbled street below was awful. It was as though the windows just were not there. They were double glazed, but did not appear to fit the building or window frames correctly as all the noise from outside came straight through. Cars rumbling over the cobbles every few seconds, people walking down the street talking, shouting, sirens going off, car stereos blearing out etc.
You could also hear from within the hotel people walking up the stairwell, doors slamming etc.
The room which was on the sex shop side you could also hear music playing all night long. It was not particularly loud (but at the third floor it shouldn’t be) but it was noticeable enough to add to the noise level keeping me awake.
In the morning I figured a nice hot shower, a good breakfast and I’ll be right as rain.
Nope, the shower head was clogged up so I got about a quarter of the amount of water jets working, which is a pathetic amount. But at least it was hot water coming out of those few jets! I seemed to be the only one with a poor shower, everyone else said theirs was fine.
Breakfast was typical continental, no English breakfast tea though; herbal or earl grey or a coffee machine was available. Cereal tasted stale so I left that. Toast, cheese, salami slices and cooked scrambled egg were available.
If you’re male and planning to be out drinking, can sleep through anything and want something cheap then you’ll be fine here.
If you’re female, don’t bother! Really, I didn’t feel comfortable in the area but I was with a group of men so that was fine, but I wouldn’t want to be there on my own, and combined with everything above I cant see many women wanting to stay here!
I’d definitely stay clear of this one, there are much nicer hotels in the area for not much more, but I guess it depends on how much you value a good night’s sleep!

Room Tip: rooms at the back of the building should be quieter, and those over the grocery store side of the bu...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank grubs-and-tubs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Narva, Estonia
Reviewed 25 November 2011

There is nothing much to say about this property, neither very bad nor very nice. Considering that price of accomodation in Hamburg is in overall not cheap, then one can say that the quality/cost ratio is ok. On the positive side: really close to the Central Station, groceries and places to eat; not too dirty; quality of breakfast is ok. Negative: smell of cigarettes in the room; rooms could be cleaner; noise from the street.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
dublin
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Hamburg is a beautiful city but you can do far better then visit this place or its sister hotels. Yes the Haupfbahnhof is close but the area is dodgy. I was given a terrible excuse that the computer sister was down and moved to a sister hotel with no shower or toilet in my room. I did not get a receipt after advising I will not put more then 40euros for the room out of disgust. When I was around the city I kept having thoughts that my bags were taken! I had a bad nights sleep and could very much hear the snoring from next door! At breakfast water for the coffee kept running out and there was problems with a number of supplies. Thank God I only stayed there one night!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Hamburg hotels

British Columbia
Reviewed 1 January 2010

I can't really recommend this hotel although my stay was adequate. I didn't like my room. It had low ceilings and was to dark for my tastes. The bed was nice and clean though so that is the most important. I didn't like that in the bathroom they think that it is okay to stock 3/4 used up mini shower gel bottles - this makes me think "you are being cheap!" I think they rate themselves a 3 star and I would say it should be a 2. If they had said they were a 2 star, I would have been more satisfied. The A&O hotel hostel I stayed at in Leipzig was more to my liking. They charged me 6Euro extra for internet, again I think, "you are being cheap."

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Zurich
Reviewed 13 March 2006

I was bumped across the road, all I will say is joy of joys not. Located near the bahnhof, in one of the three designated red light zones - NOT a family hotel either one of them. Price per room per night Eur60-80 inc. breakfast was adequate when you just need a bed for the night.

The hotel star rating system in Hamburg clearly needs to be investigated - this was a back packers hotel. It needs a refurbishment.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
12 Thank itraveltool
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 October 2005

had booked a twin room in hotel residence but when we arrived no twin room so were sent across the street to sister hotel lumec, as previous reviewer stated a door bell had to be rung to gain admittance and facing straight inside the door is a double flight of stairs to the reception and elevator. we found staff just average, polite but no engaging in conversation. we were put in annex in 5th floor and the room was spotlessly clean also the bathroom,i have never been in a cleaner hotel and i have travelled worldwide inc america, australia and most of the popular european cities. the breakfast room on 1st floor was immaculate and certainly no complaints about the breakfast as there was loads of cereal, meat, cheese breads and lots more. The only real complaint was the area, even though very central it was bang in the middle of sex shops by the dozen and we felt very intimidated every time we walked down the street any time after 5 as the drunks and prostituded were out in abundance and drug pushers approached us on one occasion ,i would not stay in this area again as i feel it is not at all safe especially if your not in the company of a a male.

• Stayed October 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Singapore
Reviewed 3 August 2005

Location wise it was good,just 1 min to the main train station.But this htl is surronded by a LOT of sex shops.We had to walk past practically 8 sex shops to the htl,and thats only 1 side of the street.If you count the opp side of the street,theres easily 20 sex shops.

Anway there was nothing much to walk in Hamburg,we covered it in 1day.

14 Thank applerain