“Seriously, invest in some standard size pillows”

City Hotel Hamburg Mitte
Ranked #119 of 319 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Ok so I travel a lot through work and have stayed at many different hotels over the years and I never expect too much from any of them, after all I am a business customer who just needs somewhere to shower and sleep. My initial impression of this hotel was quite good, the receptionist was friendly and helpful and my room was neat and clean however when it came time to go to bed I was faced with an uncomfortable situation. There were two pillows on the bed one ridiculously large one and one equally ridiculously small one, being 6'2" if I used the large one it took up so much of the top end of the bed that my legs overhung the bottom of the bed just below my knees and the small one hardly felt like I was using a pillow at all. I decided to talk to the friendly receptionist and see if any standard sized pillows were available. After being stared at in apparent disbelief she marched off muttering something to her colleague as she passed only to return a few moments later to inform me that house keeping would come to my room and assist. Left feeling that I was somehow out of line for complaining I returned to my room and after a few minutes there was a knock at the door, I answered and there stood a smiling woman with yet another giant comedy pillow, I demonstrated my problem to her by laying on the bed with the pillow with my legs hanging off the end, she seemed to understand and took the pillow away only to return a minute later with another tiny pillow. Realising that this was as improved as my pillow situation was going to get I politely asked her if there was any way I could have a double duvet to go with the double bed, 'no we only have single duvets' she said. I find that hard to believe but my expectations of her resolving any of my problems were fading fast so I moved on to my last issue which was that the air conditioning was not working. 'That's standard' I was told as she walked over to the window and opened it for me. She may have said something else on the way out but the noise from all the traffic on the main road outside made it impossible to tell, I thanked her as she left but I doubt she heard me either. Disappointed I closed the window and went for a shower, now it has to be said that the bathroom was very impressive with one of the nicest showers I've had in a hotel room and adjustable under floor heating... But so what!? In an average nights stay I will spend 20-30 minutes in the bathroom as opposed to 6-8 hours in the double bed with single duvet and comedy pillows. I would swap that nice shower and fancy under floor heating for one standard size pillow and double duvet in a heartbeat and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I cannot understand the thought process of whoever controls the purse strings in this hotel but would suggest they refrain from spending money on unnecessary things like under floor heating until they have sourced basics like double duvets for double beds and standard sized pillows, after all I can always put a towel on the floor to stop my feet getting cold for five minutes, I cant get a good nights sleep for 8 hours using comedy pillows.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for City Hotel Hamburg Mitte

Reviewed 27 September 2013

I enjoyed staying in this hotel. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful and the room I stayed in was really neat and clean. I liked that the safe was big enough to store my laptop in. A breakfast buffet is served between 6 am and 10 am (11 am on weekends). The breakfast was delicious! The only problem I had with the hotel is its location. It is situated in kind of an industrial area and you have to take a cab or the bus everywhere. There is also free wifi in the hotel which is easy to access and to use. I stayed on the 12th floor and the view was a bit disappointing, because of the location of the hotel and also because of all the construction going on in Hamburg (not sure if this is always the case). I stayed in the hotel for 4 nights and the air conditioning did not work properly one night and I could not open any windows so it was uncomfortably warm. However, overall it was a good experience and because it is so affordable I'll probably stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Anneri M
GCHHamburgMitte, General Manager at City Hotel Hamburg Mitte, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for chosen our hotel and the constructive feedback towards our services.

We will review them internally to improve our services even more for the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

As one reviewer already said, the outside makes you sad to the point that you laugh at it. It's not that close to the center, going out to party you'll need a cab or to take the bus outside the hotel. If you're lucky, you get a free parking spot on the back street. Otherwise, there's a garage for €10 a night. The elevators look a bit like ones from a horror movie, and the staircase has the ambiance of depression. But from the hallways on it just gets great.

We entered the room, and were surprised by the high standard. Even more so, when looking into the bathroom, it was so clean, that you couldn't see the shower's glass walls. Black tiles glistering in the spotlight. Small glitch in the plumbing (see picture) wasn't important, but not being able to take a shower without a deciliter of water escaping is. We kept wiping the floor with a small towel...

Beds were comfy, though not queen size, but a double bed. That is annoying for some, for me it is, if it says queen size on the homepage. Also, the utterly pointless thick and huge pillows (say, 80x80cm) that cover 1/4th of the bed...
The room size is on the smaller side of ok, two suitcases is too much to handle in there.

A/C worked like a charm, and was quiet! No problems sleeping with it on. TV had radio channels as well. All in all, nice and helpful staff, we got a very good sleep. A minibar would have been nice. Oh, should you need anything from a store, it's way closer than they might tell you... just cross the street to the Aral station, they have basically everything.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the canal are quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
GCHHamburgMitte, General Manager at City Hotel Hamburg Mitte, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear guests,

Thank you for your stay and the positive feed back towards our services.

Best regards

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Booked hotel and flight through Asda services as the price was very good. Hotel easy to find from main station 10 min walk. Area not the best but walked thro after midnight with no problem. Hotel frontage not good as scaffolding in place but interior and room were fine. Good bathroom with all amenities. Breakfast was as good as most 4 star hotels as Ive stayed in. Staff were very helpful and Wi-Fi free and easy. Daytime temperatures were in low thirties but air conditioning adequate and maid unlocked windows for ventilation. I would have no problem staying there again

Room Tip: Rooms at front tho noisy from traffic have good views over Hamburg from upper floors
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your stay and the positive feedback given towards our services.

Best regards

The whole team of the Grand City Hotel Hamburg Mitte.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Stayed one night for business - 28 degrees centigrade in Hamburg and the small but nice room was totally missing air conditioning - Could open a window but the morning after the need for a shower was more than obvious -> No soap or shampoo in the shower. These things are the basics things !If the owner of this location is wishing to get rid of paying clients he/she is doing an excellent job. For this price and level of quality will not return ; Coming from Finland we have hot steamy Saunas at home!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
GCHHamburgMitte, General Manager at City Hotel Hamburg Mitte, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear Mr. Mikko E.,

Thank you for staying with us and your constructive feed back concerning our services.

All our rooms are equipped with an aircondition. If we would have known that there is a technical problem with your room we wolud have offered an different room to you.

Referring to the missing soap and showergel/shampoo, i will discuss this matter with the involved department in order to avoid similar situations for the future Normal standard ist that all rooms are equipped with an dispenser in the shower and soap at the sink .

I would like to apologize because you have not been satisfied with you stay but believe me what happend to you does not reflect our normal standard.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

A plain hotel that is nothing special but also didn't have unpleasant surprices either. The room was small but not as small as other previous guests had written on tripadvisor. The hotel looks terrible - we laughed and wanted to turn around when we saw the hotel. But inside (which of course is the most important) was all right: the room was nice and clean, and there was a nice rain water shower.
Good breakfast (13 euros) and good service.
The hotel is a 10 min. walk from the central station - which is just across the largest shopping street Mönckebergstrasse.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristine G
GCHHamburgMitte, General Manager at City Hotel Hamburg Mitte, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear Kristine,

thank you for chosen our hotel and the constructive comments on our services.

During the 2nd phase of renovation besides extensions of the rooms, restaurant etc.., either the facade will be changed so that the outer appearance will be as positive as the inside.

The whole Grand City Hotel Hamburg Mitte team

Reviewed 30 January 2013

We stayed 2 Nights in January . We will Not come again. The Rooms are very very small . We had no breakfast. The Roomservice is very loud and wake us up two days .
The Hotel is a very old Building and Not very Nice.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
GCHHamburgMitte, Manager at City Hotel Hamburg Mitte, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay here at the Grand City Hotel Hamburg Mitte. Unfortunately you did not enjoy your stay with us. Therefor we would like to apologize.

We appreciate your constructive review which helps us to improve our services day by day.

Especially the hint concerning the housekeeping was very helpful. We already discussed this matter in order to prevent such situations in the future.

The whole Team of the Grand City Hotel Hamburg Mitte