“My stay at Novotel city Alster”

Novotel Hamburg City Alster
Ranked #47 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 14 November 2012

The services l received was one of the best .The area was clean, food was good, and access to internet was fast. My children were very happy. The room could have been a little bigger.
I will visit this hotel again

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 November 2012

We stayed one night in the Novotel in the Alster part of Hamburg on our way to Denmark. The main reason we chose this hotel was the very low price for a family room; at €85 it is ca. 30%-50% less than what we usually have to pay for hotels in the 3-4 star range. Upon arrival we discovered that kids stay for free, so we were paying the price of a double room. This was then also what we got; i.e. a double room with a sleeping couch squeezed in for the kids. In comparison, in most other hotels the family room is bigger or you get two adjacent rooms (but again, they cost more as well).

Apart from being small the room was up to standard and clean. The hotel's facilities were also good, parking is available in the basement for €15 pr. night and the reception staff were friendly. A big hit with the kids was the playroom in the reception area, which had computer games for the big ones and lots of toys for the small ones. The location is also very good, in a quiet neighbourhood with the Alster lake close-by and the Alster swimming hall practically next door, and within reasonable walking distance of the main train station and central Hamburg (also there is an underground stop just outside the hotel entrance).

We decided to go for the buffet at the hotel's restaurant. This was a bit of a letdown as there was little to choose from and the food in general not enjoyable (the pasta for example was tough and hard around the edges from being left on the warm plate for too long). It felt like minimal effort and ambition had been put into the buffet, very different from the high standard and pride that we usually find when dining in Germany. The breakfast buffet was better, but again not as rich or varied as we're used to in Germany.

In contrast with the deal on the room, where the smallness was well compensated for by the low price, both the dinner and breakfast buffet were rather on the expensive side. So although we'd have no problems staying again at the hotel, we'd probably opt to dine at one of the many Asian restaurants we saw on the Steindamm street leading from the hotel to the central train station.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2012

There is not much to say since it is the Novotel standard. You get a decent place well situated to the main spots in Hamburg. The breakfast in the morning was good and also the bar decent. Just if you check in take care that you are not in a room towards the street since it is a main road with a hospital near by.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Just a quick in and out to this hotel.
Everything went well check in, bar, restaurent, check out...
Nice room, quiet, good service.

Two small things, after checking in, just as he gave e my key I was told they only had smoking rooms available, that I had no choice.. it turns out the smell wasn't that bad.

Also, I tried to make a reservation via the Accors Hotels web site, I was informed th hotel was full.
Freinds of mine from Hamburg rang the hotel and got a room in 2 mins.. strange.

Apart from that a good hotel, good service and well worth the visit.

Room Tip: as for a quiet room not on the front of the hotel, too much trafic.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2012

location good ... but the U-Bahn that near to the Hotel doesn't have elevator ( for Kids Trolley !!)
the Personnel friendly .. Kids Zone with XBox :), Internet free in Lobby only for 20 min.
WiFi cost you around 9 Euro/day
Parking fees depending on your reservation !!
Late Check out for free :)
the best Thing ... you will take your breakfast at your room for only 2 Euro as room service ( if Breakfast included )

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

During our this year's summer holiday, we visited and stayed in 8 different European cities and we can say that the best of all was Novotel Hamburg Alster. The rooms, the service, the breakfast and the overall atmosphare was really excellent. Everything was very clear as well. Only the location was not perfect but it was OK.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 8 September 2012

First of all; I would have given this hotel a better ranking if it wasn’t for the high price they required for my room, 299 Euros each night for a single room, and that did not even include breakfast which was charged at an additional 9 Euro.

In my opinion this is a nice hotel, located in a central place in Hamburg. The rooms are quite large with a separate bathroom with both a bathtub and a shower while the toilet is in a separate room just beside the door into the room.

There is also a coach and a desk top in the room.

There is a relatively well stocked minibar for you to choose from, a quite good flat screen TV and a wired Internet that worked pretty good.

The person who was in the reception at our arrival was very helpful and seemed to know a lot about everything we asked him about. Good service.

There is a quite busy street on one side of the hotel, I got a room on this side but it didn’t bother me much.

The breakfast buffet was good as well, and the staffs are pretty quick in approaching you after you have found your table asking if you want coffee or tea and they are back with your choice within a minute or so.

I guess that one particular reason why the room was so expensive was due to the ongoing SMM trade fair (International shipping fair and conference). So since the reason why I was in Hamburg was this trade fair it was luckily a business trip paid by the company I work for.

We mostly used taxis while going various places in Hamburg, but there is a U-Bahn station just outside the hotel.

The cleaning of my room was good and up to standard.

We did not eat at the restaurant in the hotel so I can’t say anything about that.

To conclude; I really liked this hotel including the staff I was in contact with. But honestly 299 Euros a night + and additional 9 Euro for breakfast is way too much. If the price was the half of this I would nearly have given it full score, but even me as a Norwegian and used to very high prices seems this is too much.

I would easily have given this hotel 4 stars if it wasn't for the high price, therefore only 3 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main street
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business