Novotel Hamburg City Alster
Ranked #49 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We had to stay here one night because they lost our reservation for the Novotel Suites whose rooms are huge. This hotel was a huge disappointment after staying at the Novotel Suites for much less money.

Room Tip: Stay at the Novotel Suites instead. No Wi-fi, no free coffee in the morning and tiny rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,083)

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Plastic bathroom, cheap furniture, basic services, Internet a rip-off, small tv, ok breakfast. Even if you do not expect much from an average business hotel still 4 stars should be earned somewhere. You can add that there is absolutely nothing to remember and the hotel can be literally anywhere ad get the whole story of my 3 stars rating.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank baol1969
Reviewed 6 July 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Stayed here during a business trip. The check-in took a little time as I had stand in line behind people who were checking out. I feel this is unusually long compared to other hotels I have stayed at. The internet is not free and pretty expensive (Euro 9.95 for 24 hours). Lucky that I bought a SIM card at the airport (Blauworld) that I used for both voice calls and internet.
There is an overpriced breakfast buffet (Euro 20) which I only tried once and felt that I can have healthier breakfast options at the cafe next door, for a fraction of the price.
The rooms are ok but wierdly configured. There is a separate toilet without a washbasin. There is a separate shower area with a washbasin. You have to do your business in the toilet and then headover to the shower room to wash your hands!!!
There is no closet to store your clothes. There is an open portion next to the door where you can hang your clothes in the provided hangers.
There is a safe, a coffee maker and a mini-bar (chargeable) in the room.
For some strange reason, the cleaning staff used to remove the DO NOT DISTURB sign cards from my room and I couldn't find one to hang it on the door. I had to repeatedly ask for the sign cards and was given one by an unhappy looking staff member. I just wanted to spend the day in the hotel without being disturbed as I had a bad cold and it was a day off. This was difficult to do as I kept getting bothered by the cleaning staff knocking on the door.
The staff in the restaurant seem to hurried and busy and tended to ignore any questions! Maybe it was just me!
I was given a room with 2 beds even though I had booked a room with 1 queen size bed. There was hardly any space around the beds to walk around.
This was not value for money and contrary to the other Novotel hotels I have stayed around the world!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank vinod_hyd
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Paid Euro 99.- per night for a standard double room which was a lot cheaper than other hotels of this standard nearer the centre. Very convenient for the U Bahn which is right in front of the hotel and gets you anywhere quickly. Breakfast was good but at Euro 20.- extra it should be. Very good was that almost no plastic packing at breakfast other than margarine so top marks for reducing plastic waste.
Room was ok, clean and functional.
Negative was the lack of free wifi. This should be standard in this kind of hotel. We were only there at the weekend for pleasure but had I been there on business and needed internet, the lack of free wifi would have really annoyed me.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We booked our family suite room (a corner room roughly three times the size of a standard Novotel room) some months in advance so received a good rate. This room was nicely laid out with both plenty of cupboard space and a separate toilet area in the lounge (there is no washbasin). There is also a decent sized bathroom with a full sized and separate bath and shower area. Novotel standard rooms are indeed very small so we thought we'd book a larger room this visit.

We found the bed to be hard and unyielding with small sized pillows. My child said that his pull out bed from the sofa was comfortable to sleep on.

Breakfast was expensive but was of overall good quality with plenty of items both hot and cold to choose from.

The underground station Lubecker Strasse is close by (the closest exit to the hotel from the train station is the U1 blue line exit marked AlsterSchwimmenhalle) and it is but a short ride into the city itself. There are some nice stores along the "Mo" near the Rathaus. We bought a group ticket at Hamburg airport which lasted 5 days. None of the stations have ticket barriers so entry to and from stations is very easy.

We found that the best way to return to the airport was to board the U1 line at Lubecker Strasse to Wandsbeker Chausee and from there boarding the S1 train to the airport. If you use this route do note that only the first 3 cars of this train actually go to the airport, this is spoken in both German and English on the train.

I would return here happily but next time I will bring my own pillow!.

Room Tip: Book well in advance to receive a good rate. Do remember to put your room card in the slot by the d...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I often stay at novotel when I travel around the world. This Novotel was a bit of a disappointment.The room was smaller than they use to be, the fitness room only contained four machines for cardio training, but no equipment for work out and why pay 20 euro per person for breakfast you can get for 4,95 in the city? I think the management of this hotel have to do some thinking for the future! Beside that the hotel is located outside the absolute city centre but there is a metro station right outside the hotel (Lübeckerstraße) that will get you into the shopping area within five minutes

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends