“Fine hotel - stayed here for business”

Novotel Hamburg City Alster
Ranked #50 of 319 Hotels in Hamburg
Morrisville, North Carolina
“Fine hotel - stayed here for business”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed at the Novotel for a convention in Hamburg. The hotel itself was fine. The beds were a bit uncomfortable and the pillows a bit flat. Also the bathroom was set up right next to the bed, but the toilet was in the entryway section of the room. The WiFi was quite expensive (luckily I could expense it for business).

The location was right next to a subway stop, which was very convenient, as there was not a lot of entertainment options right next to the hotel. If you walked a bit, you could reach an area that has excellent restaurants and a cozy feel, but it took some walking to get to.

The staff at the Novotel were very friendly and helpful, and spoke English well (which was great because my German is very poor!).

So, while the hotel had all the basic necessities, I found myself wishing I was a bit closer to the downtown area and action, as well as closer to the Hamburg Messe so my trip to work was shorter! I also wanted a softer bed and fluffier pillow. But, as I don't travel places solely to sit in a hotel room, I think the hotel worked out okay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Novotel_Hamburg, Manager at Novotel Hamburg City Alster, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Allie S,
thank you very much for your useful feedback about your stay in our hotel.We are very sorry that we could not meet your expectations with the bed quality. The WiFi service is free at our hotel. The premium access we offer for € 6, - per day.
We hope to welcome you again in our hotel to convince you with our quality.
Sincerly Yours team of Novotel Hamburg Alster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Trieste, Italy
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I'm a customer of this hotel, because, I often find myself in Hamburg for business.
I find it very tasteful and welcoming, attentive to detail and service. good cleaning of the rooms.
Staff excellent, knowledgeable, courteous and friendly, comfortable small sauna and relaxation area, the only flaw of this hotel are the cushions of the room.
Breakfast amazing and full of very good quality, in my opinion, among the best of all the hotels that I've tried (about a hundred).
Great location in the city, I recommend it especially for business.
My congratulations to the team at the Novotel Alster.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Michele L
Novotel_Hamburg, Manager at Novotel Hamburg City Alster, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Michele L,
thank you for your positive feedback and your words of praise to all employees. We are very pleased that we were able to convince you again with our quality and hope that you will visit us again soon.
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This hotel was very welcoming with lovely lobby, childrens play area with consoles and fashionable bar that comes alive at night with sparkling hurricane lamps.

Contemporary and wonderful breakfast, the hotel even has a subway directly outside so ticks all the boxes for modern functionality.

Spacious and friendly, the family felt extremely comfortable and enjoyed all facilities. Centrally located with plenty of tourist information, staff spoke superb English, impressive.

Room Tip: Dinner is recommended in elegant ambience, good choice and selection.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Novotel_Hamburg, Manager at Novotel Hamburg City Alster, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear emmabumpus,
thank you for describing your impressions of our hotel. We are pleased that you have felt comfortable with us and we will convince you of our good quality on your next visit again.
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

It's a well located hotel just next to the underground station with onsite parking. It's clean and looking relatively new. Bfast was served to seasonable Novotel standard. However....rooms facing the main road Luberker Strass is quite noisy if you are sensitive to car/ambulance noise. Toilet and bathroom are really small for a 4star hotel but acceptable. The only thing that I hated was the hot water not being stable at all for shower during my 2 days there.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sabrina Y
Novotel_Hamburg, Manager at Novotel Hamburg City Alster, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Sabrina Y,
thank you for your comment and describing your impressions of your stay in our hotel. For the function of the water temperature we would like to apologize to you. We have already informed our technical manager about it.We are looking forward to welcome you again so we can convince you of our quality.