“Great food with nice service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Von der Motte

Von der Motte
Ranked #149 of 3,598 Restaurants in Hamburg
Price range: US$0 - US$16
Cuisines: German, Cafe, European, International, Central European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We love good food. And we know that in hectic times like these we all need good brain food so that body & soul are functioning. That's how we came up with the idea of slow fast food. Besides our favored All-Day-Long breakfast at the weekend, we focus on fine-dining-salads and sandwiches which you can individually order by choice on a special menue card and we offer as well small international dishes which recipees we have picked on our travels from all over the world. Come for coffee and cake and you will discover cakes which you might not have heard of before. Our favorites are the sweet potato cheesecake and the Hawaiin "Kauai" Carrot cake made with carrots, pineapple, coconut and other great ingrediants. Yummy - Yummy! If you are on the run you can get everything to go. We wrap it up for you so you can enjoy your favorite soup, salad or cakes later... We are based in Hamburg Ottensen, just around the corner from the hectic streetlife. And will be happy to see and serve you - come chillaxing with us!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food with nice service”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I saw this restaurant in the tripdvisor which has good comments ,so we decided to give a try. We(5 people) ordered a salad,home-styled risotto,some snacks, an all-day breakfast and pancakes.
The salad was very fresh as the comments mentioned.Also the the salmon risotto and the all-day breakfast tasted good. The famous pancakes were really nice. Actually we ordered a sandwich but it didn”t come at last. However, I am very satisfied with the friendly and patient staff.
Moreover, the price is reasonable.

1 Thank Tai M
Energyseeker, Inhaber at Von der Motte, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you very much for coming to von der Motte. We love to hear that you had a good time and enjoyed the food. I am very sorry though that your sandwich order was messed up. I hope our service made up for it? Please come back next time you are in Hamburg - we love relaxed guests as yourself.

Warm wishes and all the best,

Hamburg, Germany
“Simply one of the best breakfasts in the world!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We went to Von der Motte after reading a tripadvisor review on a Saturday afternoon, thinking that the restaurant just couldn't be as good as everyone had said. However, within seconds of sitting down, being greeted in four different languages (just to make sure ours was covered), and getting a wonderful table, we knew we were in for a treat. The pancakes are divine - the lightest I've ever eaten - and really is are cakes made in a pan. I've never had fruit so varied and so fresh - some of the more exotic ones I've never seen before but truly enjoyed every bite. The deluxe club sandwich was too much of a meal to be called a sandwich - you must use a knife and fork - of course, this is the German way - to make sure you get every morsel. And be sure to save room for the carrot cake or any other of their freshly home-made desserts. Oh, the teas are fantastic and the fresh squeezed orange juice will leave you feeling like you had the fruit squeezed right at your table. The freshest and best breakfast/brunch I've had in a long time, maybe ever...found in one of Hamburg's most delightful corners.

1 Thank shelblake
Energyseeker, Inhaber at Von der Motte, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Wow! Thank you so much for praising our breakfast and the other Von der Motte Treats! As I am a big breakfast fan myself I collected recipes from all over the world on my travels and really indulge and love good breakfasts. So of course only the best (buttermilk-)pancake recipe could make it in our kitchen…;-) We love food-lovers as yourself - please come back next time and bring yourself. Your comment was running down like oil and convinced us that we must have done something right…;-)

Warmest wishes to wherever you are right now,
Houston, Texas
“great place for lunch”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I enjoyed the food and friendly service there while on my 2 week stay in Hamburg, I like the menu it looks very creative, it is a small place in walking distance to Altona Train Station, It a must do restaurant if you looking for a great lunch expect to pay around 10 euros per person. Lots of kudos to the amazing service I received on a few of my visit to the Von der Motte.

1 Thank worldtravler777
Dear World Traveler 777,

than you very much for your wonderful critics about service and food. Knowing ourselves how we want to be treated ourselves when unwinding and relaxing, we think that good and friendly service is crucial. The food can be excellent, but served by somebody rude will take all the fun and enjoyment away. So yes, thank you for noticing…..;-) We love our staff as well!

Warm wishes,
Steffi von der Motte
“The individual salad menu is a genious scoop ....”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

... and follows one simple truth: nothing in this world is genious and complicated at the same time.

Select any ingredience for your salad from a comprehensive selection menu. Add the dressing of your choice and enjoy the best ever salad meal. And the bread .... delicious!

1 Thank Niels J
Dear Nils,

thank you so much for praising our individual salads! I have to admit that we copied the idea from an individual Build-your-own-Burger concept in Chicago - a really cool restaurant I visited. We thought: If it works for Burgers - for sure it will work for salads and sandwiches and people love the system of selection what they want or not want without pulling things out of their salads they dislike.

So yes, thank you Nils, we appreciated your comment a lot - shows us that we must have done something right…;-)

Warm wishes and a big thank you to wherever you are right now!
“Awesome breakfast ”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I was there with my girlfriend and we had an awesome breakfast.
I highly recommend the pancakes and the scrambled eggs.
Compared to Munich it's very affordable and has a great price value balance.

3 Thank Localhost0
Dear Breakfast-Lover,

thank you so much for your short but very clear comment! We love guests like yourself.
Please come back next time you hit town!

Cheers,