“Cakes to die for”

Ranked #148 of 3,602 Restaurants in Hamburg
Price range: US$0 - US$16
Cuisines: German, Cafe, European, International, Central European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We love good food. And we know that in hectic times like these we all need good brain food so that body & soul are functioning. That's how we came up with the idea of slow fast food. Besides our favored All-Day-Long breakfast at the weekend, we focus on fine-dining-salads and sandwiches which you can individually order by choice on a special menue card and we offer as well small international dishes which recipees we have picked on our travels from all over the world. Come for coffee and cake and you will discover cakes which you might not have heard of before. Our favorites are the sweet potato cheesecake and the Hawaiin "Kauai" Carrot cake made with carrots, pineapple, coconut and other great ingrediants. Yummy - Yummy! If you are on the run you can get everything to go. We wrap it up for you so you can enjoy your favorite soup, salad or cakes later... We are based in Hamburg Ottensen, just around the corner from the hectic streetlife. And will be happy to see and serve you - come chillaxing with us!
Fai della Paganella, Italy
“Cakes to die for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

The first time I went here with friends for an afternoon break after reading the reviews here. Had the cheesecake, simply devine. I came back a second time when my sister was visiting and we also had lunch. We "made up" our sandwiches. All the ingredients were fresh and delicious.

The owner is really nice and I love the atmosphere.

• Visited June 2014
Energyseeker, Inhaber at Von der Motte, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Valentina,

thank you for your recommendation and I am very happy you like our cakes (don´t die though!!...;-))
and the sandwiches. We are looking forward to welcoming you as our guests again!

Stockholm, Sweden
“Cosy and yummy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Nice little place in a area well worth visiting. I decided to go for brunch here and was delighted with their pancakes. The guy serving me was friendly, good at English and gave me some helpful recommendations (even advised against ordering too much). This was perfect to get the day started before going into central Hamburg (Altona station is right nearby), so I will return as soon as I have the opportunity!

Dear Joakim,

so you came and went for our famous pancakes - and liked them - that´s good news! So you either met Philip or Felix who helped you with Hamburg recommendations - both very friendly guys who we are happy and proud about to have them in our team! Glad you liked it and the best compliment is the promise to come back next time you are in town!

Warmest wishes,
London
“Healthy menu...with a slice of cake”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Really tasty, healthy food in a relaxed atmosphere. We were only in Hamburg for the weekend and ended up eating here twice. I gave the bar scene rating as average because we were only there in the day and it didn't really have a bar as such. Not sure if they open late or do delivery either.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank HectorMcGinty
Dear Hector,

we are happy to hear that you liked it at our place - event though we couldn´t service you with a bar-scene. We only have three bar stools and most of the time our family members come and sit at the bar close to closing...;-) So no, we are not the typical bar you go to at night - rather have breakfast, lunch, cake and dinner or drinks after work....hey - it seems you missed our happy hour!
Happy though that you came here twice duiring your stay. That´s great!
Please come back next time!

Wetter, Germany
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I loved this quaint little restaurant!

Location: Just within walking distance from the Altona station.

Atmosphere: Lovely! The restaurant has the vintage-chic feel to it. When the weather permits you to sit outside, all the better. :)

Food: I had pancakes with fresh fruits, cinnamon cake with toppings, and caffe latte. My husband ate blueberry pancakes with fresh fruits and hot chocolate. WE ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! The pancakes were cooked to perfection; moist and fluffy! They offer the breakfast menu all day. Their lunch and dinner menus are amazing too! (They have the menus in German and English) And the cakes, if you can try all the cakes on display, do so! :) The price ranges from €7-15, cheap I would say, for the experience we enjoyed.

I'd definitely come back when I get the chance to visit Hamburg again.

1 Thank KCA_20
Dear KCA,

we are so pleased that you liked it at our von der Motte and had such a good breakfast experience - and you were actually one of our guests who tried our new blueberry pancakes which I just recently put up on the menue! So I guess it was not such a bad idea....;-)

Thank you very much for your great recommendation and we are looking forward to having you as our guest again!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Strongly recommended! 👍”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I strongly recommend you to try this excellent place, for the delicious food, the service and the atmosphere. Danke!

1 Thank Shlomi E
Energyseeker, Inhaber at Von der Motte, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank you very much for your short but straight positive recommendation! Way to go and please come back! Warm wishes, Steffi von der Motte