Mercedes
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Wikinger Hof(Hamburg)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
ARCOTEL Rubin(Hamburg)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Astoria(Hamburg)
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We enjoyed our stay here, it is good value for money. Within walking distance to many of the sights around town and for the price it included a very good breakfast. Rooms were clean although the towels could do with an upgrade. Although we discovered this is in the Red Light District there were many women staying by themselves and it did feel very safe when walking around. Downfall was the internet was touch and go, sometimes it worked but many times it did not but this would not stop me returning

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michele_6169
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I was very aware of the high number of poor reviews when I booked a room for two nights in the Hotel Mercedes in November 2012, so I expected some disappointment. However, I was not disappointed at all, and I find the hotel fully adequate for a two-star hotel.

I was allocated a non-smoking room on the third floor which was of a decent standard; see my photos: There were two beds (I booked a single room), two chairs, a table, a TV, built-in wardrobes and a bathroom with a shower. The bathroom was good, the shower worked well, there was a hair-dryer and shower gel and shampoo. The room and the bathroom were clean. The Furniture was admittedly not the newest but was decent and served its purposes more than sufficiently. It is true that the doors would profit from some fresh paint but I am not too concerned about this, as long as everything is clean - which was the case here.

Staff was very friendly and helpful - all of Turkish origin. The breakfast room was very nice and seems to have been newly refurbished. Breakfast was a no-frills buffet which I found entirely satisfactory: There was a choice of different kinds of sliced bread, three different bread rolls, three kinds of jam, Nutella, butter, margarine, fruit, muesli, 2 kinds of corn flakes, milk, yoghurt, two kinds of sliced cheese, Philadelphia fresh cheese, four different kinds of sliced sausages (of average supermarket quality), boiled eggs, coffee, tea, orange and apple juice, and fresh fruit. So fully adequate for a two-star hotel. The buffet was constantly re-filled by a friendly woman.

It is true that there are prostitutes in the streets around the hotel but hey, this is Hamburg! And it's very close to the main station - you have the same in Frankfurt, for example. It's not a problem at all, the prostitutes won't bother you, none of them spoke to me in those two days. They're not too tarted up either. So I guess if I had kids I would be fine there with them. In my view, there is no prostitution in connection with the hotel at all.

I booked with HRS and paid 29 Euros for the night on Friday, and 53 Euros for the night on Saturday, including breakfast. That's basically what you would pay for a youth hostel in Hamburg, with shared bathroom and no breakfast. So one wonders about the expectations of people who complain about the Mercedes here on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Falco1968
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I have stayed 2 nights at this hotel and this was the worst hotel i've ever stayed. Do not believe the photos of this hotel on this page. It was not a modern designed hotel. The room was extra small and two beds positioned vertically in the room. Careless staff. Yes it is close to central station but the area was awful. No need to stay again. Sorry.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bakcays
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Having spent 30 years travelling in Europe & having stayed at a wide variety of B&B's/hotels etc I can honestly say this place is up there with the worst.

Rooms are dirty, fixtures & fittings tatty & worn. Rooms are cramped. The bathroom is tiny & not pleasant. We stayed on the second floor which emitted a strange stale smell. All in all a very poor hotel.

Dread to think what those below it in the rankings are like.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank dave n
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Photos online showed this Hotel as sleek, charming and modern. It is not. In fact, it was most deceiving indeed. The rooms are musty and the area is not very desirable as well. Hamburg is a beautiful city but take the time to research better locations and Vacancies...It was also on a very busy street and very noisy...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family