“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in”
Review of Mercedes

Mercedes
Ranked #290 of 322 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

I booked through a hotel website and the photos didn't look at all like the reality. If the hotel would have been cheap, I would not care as much ... But we paid over 100 euros for one night !
The staff were rude and not at all welcoming ! When I saw the room I almost fainted !! Small dingy and smelling of cigarette smoke, plug sockets hanging off the wall... Crumbling paint. The bathroom was disgusting !! Not clean and the shower curtain was mouldy. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Travel B

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Our stay at The Mercedes was very pleasant -- our rooms were clean, containing comfy beds (with high quality linen) a sofa and small table and chairs. The breakfast, included in the price of the already inexpensive room, was also good and the staff were all very helpful. The location is fine too and within walking distance to all of Hamburgs main attractions. Many great shops in the area along with many inexpensive restaurants. Will definitely use this place again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2013

If it is possible to give a negative rating, I would give it -5 instead.

The rooms are extremely small and very dirty (carpet, curtain and furniture all have layer of dust, and they smell bad). We are group of 4 and ordered a quad room. From the picture of the website we thought it is reasonable. Though they actually gave us a storage room connects with a tiny twin room with the tiniest WC & shower ever. One of our bed is actually protruding to block half the doorway between 'the storage room' and the twin room. As an architect student, I am sure this actually violate the building and safety regulations (at least in UK).

Subsequently, we explained to the hotel manager that the room that we were give is deceptive compared with how they present it on the website (both verbally and pictorially), and perhaps they should address how it is presented on the website. His attitude is the poorest I have experienced. In his word: 'There is no problem with our hotel, if you think there is a problem, then it is your problem or talk to booking.com (which is where we book the hotel from), not us, don't tell us about it ...... I don't care what you think about the hotel, if you don't like it, you can leave, we are fully book and busy all the time.'. Moreover, when we tried to talk to him it is almost impossible, because every sentence we spoke he interrupted and not listening to you. My friend tried to talk to him and he interrupted 7 times consecutively even though we said please let us finish our sentences, so we gave up in the end. His ignorant, negative and defensive attitude made the whole situation worse and kind of upsetting.

I have been many budget hotel and traveled a lot, even the price is cheap for around the area, I still think this is very poor. I do not think we are picky or demanding. I would strongly recommend to avoid this hotel at all cost.

Room Tip: Definitely not the quad room!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank YYYW
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I arrived at the Hotel Mercedes in Hamburg to a real MISERABLE guy at the front reception desk. This Guy looked like Hitler after he had just been given the Gas bill !!
He tried to tell me that the room doorlock (Room 22) was a little tricky to open and close and he wasn't joking! It was a nightmare!!
Ok, if you like Woodchip and confined spaces then you will be in Dreamland. If not, I suggest you look elsewhere. I am really trying to be nice about this place but the initial reception given to me was sooooooo bad that it has really affected my overall rating of the Hotel.
The BAD points:
The Room was Crap. Cramped, Woodchip and very poor decor.
The Turkish looking Night time Guy on Reception was Crap. (No manners or interpersonal skills)
The location was not the best especially if you are travelling alone. (In my opinion)
I asked for a Double bed and was given a single.
There is Hotel Wifi which I was told was Free but the Nasty Man wanted 2 Euros a day!
The GOOD points:
The Bed although a single, was very comfortable.
The Continental Breakfast was nice with a good selection.
During the morning the Nasty Man left the Hotel and was replaced by a very helpful and polite turkish looking Man.
OVERALL:
You get what you pay for and for sure I will not be booking this Hotel again.
For a Stag or Hen Party I think it would be fine!
Don't be taken in by the "Mercedes" name!! It's just a Name.
Ps: I never paid the Nasty Man for the Wifi!! Yesssssss..... :)

Room Tip: Beware! Not the Hamburg Hotel experience you may hope for!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Steve H
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We enjoyed our stay here, it is good value for money. Within walking distance to many of the sights around town and for the price it included a very good breakfast. Rooms were clean although the towels could do with an upgrade. Although we discovered this is in the Red Light District there were many women staying by themselves and it did feel very safe when walking around. Downfall was the internet was touch and go, sometimes it worked but many times it did not but this would not stop me returning

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michele_6169
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I was very aware of the high number of poor reviews when I booked a room for two nights in the Hotel Mercedes in November 2012, so I expected some disappointment. However, I was not disappointed at all, and I find the hotel fully adequate for a two-star hotel.

I was allocated a non-smoking room on the third floor which was of a decent standard; see my photos: There were two beds (I booked a single room), two chairs, a table, a TV, built-in wardrobes and a bathroom with a shower. The bathroom was good, the shower worked well, there was a hair-dryer and shower gel and shampoo. The room and the bathroom were clean. The Furniture was admittedly not the newest but was decent and served its purposes more than sufficiently. It is true that the doors would profit from some fresh paint but I am not too concerned about this, as long as everything is clean - which was the case here.

Staff was very friendly and helpful - all of Turkish origin. The breakfast room was very nice and seems to have been newly refurbished. Breakfast was a no-frills buffet which I found entirely satisfactory: There was a choice of different kinds of sliced bread, three different bread rolls, three kinds of jam, Nutella, butter, margarine, fruit, muesli, 2 kinds of corn flakes, milk, yoghurt, two kinds of sliced cheese, Philadelphia fresh cheese, four different kinds of sliced sausages (of average supermarket quality), boiled eggs, coffee, tea, orange and apple juice, and fresh fruit. So fully adequate for a two-star hotel. The buffet was constantly re-filled by a friendly woman.

It is true that there are prostitutes in the streets around the hotel but hey, this is Hamburg! And it's very close to the main station - you have the same in Frankfurt, for example. It's not a problem at all, the prostitutes won't bother you, none of them spoke to me in those two days. They're not too tarted up either. So I guess if I had kids I would be fine there with them. In my view, there is no prostitution in connection with the hotel at all.

I booked with HRS and paid 29 Euros for the night on Friday, and 53 Euros for the night on Saturday, including breakfast. That's basically what you would pay for a youth hostel in Hamburg, with shared bathroom and no breakfast. So one wonders about the expectations of people who complain about the Mercedes here on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Falco1968
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I have stayed 2 nights at this hotel and this was the worst hotel i've ever stayed. Do not believe the photos of this hotel on this page. It was not a modern designed hotel. The room was extra small and two beds positioned vertically in the room. Careless staff. Yes it is close to central station but the area was awful. No need to stay again. Sorry.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple