“Would not stay again...so-so”
Review of Mercedes

Mercedes
Ranked #284 of 317 Hotels in Hamburg
Los Angeles, California
“Would not stay again...so-so”
Reviewed 29 January 2007

The pictures of this hotel that you find online are tricky. It seems like a well-valued hotel that has remodeled rooms... The truth of the matter is that the rooms are tiny and half remodeled. Our room was so small we couldn't pass each other - one of us would have to go over the bed to move around this room. The bathroom was clean a newly tiled, but the shower was so small my husband was basically bathing half in and half out! The room key is on a this huge heavy metal thing which was too heavy to carry around the town - and the front desk wanted to always hold the key for you - kind of shady in my opinion.
The beds were clean (which was a releif) but the entire night I could here a pipe dripping above us in the roof and the street noise was also loud. I couldn't sleep but my husband did. I wasn't comfotable and really couldn't wait to leave. But we were only in Hamburg for one night so I was able to survive.

• Liked — good location - close to main shopping area / restaurants
  • Disliked — tiny & uncomfortable room
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
7 Thank PearlieLupita

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Leicester
Reviewed 19 December 2006

Having read the previous 2 reviews, I would say on the whole this hotel exceeded my expectations.

Agree with other comments about the area - 5 minutes walk from main train station, easy to find, but there are a few sex shops and seem to be prostitutes down there more or less all the time. Hamburg seems to be full of decent people though, and even down here there is no threat.

Hotel is clean, we had a 4 bedder for 3 of us, and it was 2 small rooms with adjoining door and 1 bathroom. They are small, but it really doesn't matter, does it?

Impressed with breakfast, seemingly posh tables and chairs, feels like you could be at a proper restaurant! Food is bread, rolls, cereal, fruit, cheese, ham and yoghurts. That'll do me anyway!

One thing worth mentioning, which is odd and a little bit dodgy, is on my last day there, I came back to the room to find a stash of UK currency in coins had been taken. Totalled about £5, I'd left it lying around on a bedside table, not on the top, but on a ledge below. Anyway, reported to reception, my attitude was, I know there is nothing that can be proven or done, but just thought you should know. Speak to the maid, etc. Their attitude back was "I must have misplaced it" and the maid wouldn't take it. Silly boy. Half hour later, they rang up to say they'd got the money, the maid took it assuming it was a tip! They then promptly came up and gave it me back.
Now, in my book you tip a maid when you aren't still occupying the room, and its not in English money, and doesn't total £5! My opinion is she took it, covering herself should I report it, by simply giving it back with that excuse. If I hadn't reported it, she keeps the money. Win-win!

So, that may well put you off, but other than that, topper. Oh, and if it's a toss up between this and other rival cheapo hotel BeeFang, that one seemed to be in a better location.Can't comment on the inside. Cheers!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — dodgy maids!
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank paul_brad
belfast
Reviewed 21 October 2006

I had reservations about staying in this place having read previous reviews but if you are looking for a comfortable nights accomodation on a budget then this place is fine.

Granted it is in one the seedier parts of Hamburg but you are only 6 stops away on the underground from St Pauli but i felt safe enough in the area of the hotel. Although the hotel is small, the rooms although basic are clean and tidy and provided you do not wish to spend the evening in your hotel room then they are more than adequate. The hotel dining room is spotlessly clean and there is a good breakfast selection and plenty of it.

I would have no hesitation is staying here again and i would recommend it for anyone looking cheap accomodation in Hamburg.

• Liked — price per room
  • Disliked — it is not in the nicest location of the city
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
6 Thank toler10
Kilcar, Ireland
Reviewed 16 August 2006

Spent two nights at the Mercedes hotel in mid August. I must in all honesty say that I was not overly impressed with my choice of hotel, especially after spending the previous 4 nights at a Berlin hotel of similar star rating, which by all accounts was much better.. My biggest dissapointment was the room itself, very small with a tiny bathroom .The room also seemed to have a strange odour ,not unlike dampness. Breakfast was very basic and again not up to much.On the plus side the staff were quite friendly and helpful and the hotel is located in a very central location close to the main station from where Iwas able to catch a bus to the Airport. I must also mention the fact that the area around the hotel has a large number of sex shops and cinemas and some shady looking characters around the station,but in saying that it did not feel unsafe to me. All in all I suppose I got what I paid for 60 euro per night ,budget accomadation, Dont expect that I will be going back though.

Stayed August 2006
7 Thank MARTINMAC

Travellers are raving about these Hamburg hotels