“Save money, go somewhere else”

Leonardo Inn Hotel Hamburg Airport
Ranked #188 of 322 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

It's just not worth it.

Room and bathroom were of low quality, in the basement, lost somewhere

Bed was uncomfortable.

Breakfast really sad. Nothing there to be commented: there was nothinng.

No internet connection

Not much more to be added.

If you need to be near the airport, just choose another one.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I preferred this hotel for being close to Hamburg Airport. Normally for a one-night stay, I don't care about the hotel's comfort and I don't expect more. Because it's easy to guess that hotel staff will not offer a good customer service, they get used to deal with one-time customers generally.
Although I was such positive, the worst happened at night and I wake up at midhnight with itchy painful bites. I thought it was a mosquito, turned on the light and looked for it on the walls. Nothing, then tried to sleep again and new itchy bites, then I found one bedbug in the bed. I caught it by a piece of toilet paper and killed by pressing in it. I had never seen an alive bedbug for about 30 years, this was an extra-ordinary situation to face in a hotel in heart of Europe. Then, I refreshed my childhood memories, remembered that bedbugs normally appear more than one at a place. I stood up again, more detailed search in the bed and then I found & killed the second one.
In the morning, I gave the bedbugs in the toiled-paper to the receptionist during check-out. She was surprised and said "sorry". That was the only response from the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BahadirYesil
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

This was the first hotel booked on our European honeymoon. This hotel was used just for the night as we were in transit. The out side of the hotel is outdated and the inside is just as bad. We were checked in with someone who was more interested with the other person behind the counter. The room was like a dungeon. The room was in the basement of the hotel and I had to walk past a cellar, a storage room and my room was next to an electricity room which was noisy. When entering the room I turned on the light, this was fruitless and I used my mobile as it shone more light than the main light. The room is below the reception and so any noise heard including people speaking, people walking and items being moved around. The bath room was like being in a tin can and the bed was broken as when lying in it your sliding toward the bed head. I only gave a one point rating as the female night receptionist was very helpful otherwise the hotel was crap. Also please note the taxi drivers charged me 25 euro to travel from the airport to the hotel of less than 5km. From these experiences I would avoid traveling to Hamburg EVER.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I walked over from the airport and was a bit disappointed (to say the least) by the hotel exterior ... but then WOW the room was really nice. Free wifi, free hot tea in the evening ... I would definitely stay here again, even if I didn't need to be by the airport. And, great shuttle to the airport in the AM, kept me out of the rain!

Room Tip: Not sure. I was on the third floor, which was great for me because I hate hearing anyone overhead...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We took the last flight from Munich to Hamburg that was delayed. It took us a short, less than 15 minutes walk to get to the hotel. It was almost midnight when we walked in. Receptionist with wicked smile explained that they could not fix plumbing in our rooms and that we have to be taken to "sister" hotel at the other side of the airport. I believe they were overbooked as they had another story for a German speaking guest arriving after us. They've arranged a taxi and that arrived shortly and took us to Mercure Hotel Hamburg Airport.

This was definitely an upgrade, but probably not worth all the hassle late in the evening after whole day on the road. Our college that arrived earlier complained about door slamming and basic breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Room was OK but and looked like it had recently been given a refurbishment so I was very disappointed to find the shower door had broken and had been replaced by a tatty shower curtain. Was also concerned about the live electrical socket with wires showing, right by the bed.
The bed was a small double with 2 single quilts.
This is OK for a quick stopover, before flying but no more

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My girlfriend and I visited the Leonardo hotel in early October 2013 from Friday-Sunday (2 nights). My flight into Hamburg was early on Friday morning and after a straightforward 15 minute walk from the terminal I arrived at the hotel around 10am. Checkin started at 3pm so I handed over my luggage to reception before I went into Hamburg, however, just before leaving the staff said they had a room free to checkin to now that had just been cleaned which was ideal.

The room itself was spacious- comfortable beds, sofa and a TV. The bathroom was a good size and had a good power shower with towels provided. No complaints at all, clean and quiet- very happy with value for money (just over £50 a night).

The staff were very friendly, we did have an issue with the keycard not working on the second night but the receptionist sorted it out very quickly.

The breakfast was 10.50 euros which seemed a bit steep so we gave that a miss.

In term of location the hotel is brilliant, as mentioned its only 15 mins walk or 5 mins taxi (approx 5 euros) from the airport. The airport itself connects to the S-Bahn network via the S1 which ends up at the central station. One thing to note is that Google maps didn't factor in Hamburg's U-Bahn network so worth checking the map out for that if you have an idea where you're going in Hamburg.

Travelling to the city centre area from the airport takes approx 45 mins so around an hour in total end to end which is not a problem at all if you plan your day properly.

Overall I was very happy with value for money for the hotel, it was ideal for us in terms of location and budget and if I ever visited Hamburg again I wouldn't have any hesitation in using Leonardo hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple