Movenpick Hotel Hamburg
US$140
Preferred Hotels
  • Restaurant
2,380 results
All reviewswater towerthe cave barmovenpick hotelunique buildinglong escalatorsound effectssurrounding parkred brickunusual hotelgreat hotelpillow menus bahnbreakfast buffet istube stationa wonderful staybusiness centerthe congress
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I totally agree with the previous review for this hotel.

I booked several rooms for some friends and our family to visit Hamburg - they gave us a good price and since they are a 4 star hotel and highly ranked here at tripadvisor we gave them a try.

The hotel itself is an old water tower which is renovated pretty nice. When you enter the hotel you get the feeling of an old water tower with paints and stuff about its past. Since it is an old water tower the rooms are not square like other hotel rooms which is a big plus. We got a room to the park/green.

The negative parts are as following: It took us 3 detour in order to find this hotel due to the construction site outside the main road. Absolutely no signs that Moevenpick hotel is here. When we arrived the hotel we first were told that the signs to the hotel was hidden - GREAT! Why not tell customers prior arrival about this detour hassle??? I had at least 10+ email conversation with this hotel about different requests, changes to the rooms, and inquiries about POI several weeks prior our arrival.

Ok never mind after a long trip we were tired and wanted to rest and also wanted an internet code for going online. They told me they charge 15€ per day ... what the ... never mind I told them I agree with them that I got it for free according to our conversation. And later the same day they gave me a free internet voucher, but our friends got none!!!

Ok when my wife and I got our room we went to the room. Later I met with our friends and they complained about their beds being small - SMALL DOUBLE BEDS. I went to the receptionist who told me that they cannot guarantee our request - so why the heck did they promised us all kingsize beds and later when you arrive it becomes something else!!!

And it is not because I don't speak German. I speak both fluent both English and German, but they are quite snooby.

I would NOT recommond this hotel to anyone, my 2 cents.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank CloudStrife
MoevenpickHamburg, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Movenpick Hotel Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Hello from Hamburg,

Thank you for staying in our hotel and for writing this review here on TripAdvisor. The comments of our guests help us to ensure the quality of our product and to improve ourselves constantly.

We are very sorry to hear, that we could not meet your expectations in our hotel and our service.

As well we are sorry to read about the problems during your arrival caused by the construction work in the district. The city of Hamburg doesn’t allow the installation of more signs than those, which are already attached. Please note, that there are information about the current traffic situation as well as general arrival information on our website and in every booking confirmation. We apologize that we missed to point out this topic explicitly during the booking process.

The usage of WIFI in our hotel is indeed chargeable (EUR 12.00/24hours). Alternatively you may use our two internet terminals in our business center which are free of charge. We gladly offered you exceptionally one free voucher; however, we have to comply with our policies and prices.

We don’t want leave unmentioned that we are happy about hearing you had some good impressions during your stay and we hope that this will keep in mind. We would appreciate to welcome you again in the Mövenpick Hotel Hamburg or one of our other hotels of Mövenpick.

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed here for one night and while the hotel looks nice from the outside and the receiptionist was very friendly and professional (I even got a free room upgrade), the problems started when we realized that the AC in our room was not working (26 degrees). Housekeeping showed up fast, checked the settings and told us that a technician would fix this remotely. An hour later (about 10 PM), the room was still at the same temperature. A call to the receiptionist at that time got me an arrogant and incompetent person on the phone who could not care less about customer satisfaction or the reputation of the hotel that employs him - if it was up to me, that person should get fired on the spot. Bottom line, the problem got not fixed, we had 26 degrees Celsius in the room all night, pretty much could not sleep because it was too hot and besides and attitude did not get any help (or as an easy solution, the offering to move to a room that had a working AC).

The hotel looks nice, the room was large enough and had a great view, internet was included as part of the uprgade and coffee maker and toilettries were also offered. If the AC was working or at least the staff (not during check in and not the house keeping) was more competent / customer oriented, I would have rated this hotel 5 points. However, with not having slept because of overheated rooms and only getting the stupid and lames excuses from the receiptionist, I will not stay here again nor will I recommend this hotel to others.

I contacted their corporate headquarters and my credit card company to dispute their charges. Not because I would gain anything (it was a business trip and I do not pay for it anyhow), but with such a service, I do not want them to get paid for it at all.

Room Tip: If you need a working AC, check it before "accepting" the room. Otherwise, look for a deal to a business / superior room to get coffee and internet included in the fees.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Thomas R

Hello from Hamburgs water tower,
Thank you for your visit in our hotel and for writing this review here on Trip Advisor.

As we have already mentioned in a personal message, the feedback of our guests is very important to us. It enables us to ensure the quality of our product and our services and to improve ourselves constantly.

We are very sorry that your stay with us was not as comfortable as you could aspect from a hotel of our class and apologize for these circumstances. Please be assured that the way we treat your incident is definitely not our standard.

During your stay we were fully booked and unfortunately unable to offer a room change, which of course should have been addressed to you within the conversation. Otherwise this would have been the easiest solution, but our hands were tied and we really could not solve the unpleasant situation.

We would appreciate to welcome you again in the Mövenpick Hotel Hamburg and hope that we brought along a bit of joy with the compensation we have offered to you.

Kind regards from Hamburg

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Arrived late Friday and spent the weekend at the hotel. Amazing building and clean/extraordinaire rooms. Stayed at the Junior suite, really big and with a beautiful city view.

The staff is super friendly and go beyond the call of duty to please the customers.

I will definetely come back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Reagans_mum
MoevenpickHamburg, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Movenpick Hotel Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Hello from Hamburg,

Thank you very much for your visit in our historic water tower and your positive review. We are happy to hear, that you felt comfortable with us and that you enjoyed your stay to the fullest.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

The Mövenpick Hotel Hamburg team

Reviewed 19 June 2013

GOOD:
The hotel in a former water tower is an exciting piece of architecture;
Location is perfect for a Hamburg city tour: top connections to downtown and close to Sternschanze & Schulterblatt, which is not the glossy neighborhood of Hamburg, but therefore very authentic and lively, you'll find lots of reasonable restaurants and clubs there!
Hotel Restaurant is outstanding and serves exquisite dishes;
Excellent breakfast, complete, fresh, nothing to add;
OK:
Rooms are quiet and usual business standard;
every room is different due to its position in the water tower;
Service is very friendly and helpful; professional, not more and not less than you expect;
TO BE IMPROVE:
Wi-Fi is expensive and of limited quality, ridiculous!!!

Room Tip: as ever: as high as possible, better get the rooms to the park but you will also enjoy the rooms to the street
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Dichterdran

Hello from Hamburg,

Thank you for your stay in our hotel and your friendly review.
We are glad to hear, that you enjoyed Hamburg and our neighborhood “Sternschanze” and we thank you for your compliments concerning our restaurant as well as our extensive breakfast buffet.

Of course we are sorry to hear, that you weren’t satisfied with the WIFI connection. Beside the standard connection we offer as well high-speed internet with a high rate of transmission.

We hope to may welcome you soon again in our water tower.

the Mövenpick Hotel Hamburg Team

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I just recently heard about this hotel and decided to stay during our 3 day visit to Hamburg.
The decor in the rooms is modern and comfortable. The room we stayed in (4th floor) was small for American standards, but did not lack any convenience.

Since it was originally a water tower and a lot of the original interior was kept, the decor in the lobby, bar and even in the workout area is beautiful and quite unique.

The rooms were very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is in the "Schanzenviertel", surrounded by dozens of restaurants, bars, night spots and shopping. It is a somewhat alternative/ multi-cultural area, that is mostly frequented by a younger crowd and might not appeal to everyone.

Parking will cost extra, if you can't find a public spot on the street. There is no actual parking lot, but reserved spots outside and 2 (very small) indoor parking garages. (Euro 12-17/ night).

The subway station is right outside the hotel! It is only 2-3 stations away from the downtown shopping district, the Reeperbahn and other local attractions.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
MoevenpickHamburg, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Movenpick Hotel Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Hello from Hamburg,

Thank you for staying with us and for writing this positive review.

We are glad to hear, that you were satisfied during your stay and that you felt comfortable in our historic and charming water tower. As well we are happy to read, that you enjoyed your stay in Hamburg and profited of the very good connection of public transport.

We are looking forward to your next visit.