“not recommended”

Ranked #248 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“not recommended”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I went on a trip through Europe with my girlfriend and we already visited 5 hotels before coming to this. It was the most expensive one and also the most unpleasent one. The room was very very small and not in a very nice district. The first room we got was right next to the reception and after asking to change we were lucky that they had room. In short the price/quality is not as expected.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Greek first
sgtwilson
Reviewed 6 March 2013

The staff were pleasant, the shower was ferociously hot, and the hotel is centrally located - so in a there's all the positives that get this very poor hotel its couple of stars.

The room was tiny, the furniture less than basic (rickety wardrobe and, er, that's it). The bed small and uncomfortable and the duvets threadbare. (In Northern Germany and in February, even snuggling up to my lovely and in every sense hot wife I was freezing.) Cheerless doesn't even begin to cover it. No kettle, no cups, nowhere to get a cuppa. The room was more like an office in the accounts dept of a down at heel secret police force, than a place to relax and sleep.

A disgrace really. They need to sort it. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thin_controller43

Travellers are raving about these Hamburg hotels

Gliwice, Poland
Reviewed 29 June 2011

For a few nights stay in Hamburg. Rooms are nice with tasteful design. Service is excellent. The only drawback was the window view from the room, which was not fantastic, however you probably cant get a nice view in the overlooking the main road. Definately recommed this place.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 4 May 2011

The best thing about this hotel is that it is a stone’s throw away from the Central Railway station, so if you have to travel to other towns while you are staying in Hamburg, it is very convenient. In addition, it only takes about 15 minutes to get to the main square and the main shopping area. Being so close to the railway station of a bigger city, the area around the hotel cannot very safe but I never had any trouble coming back in the evening.

The rooms are not big but very clean and have all the essential things – a bed to sleep in, a desk to write on, and a wardrobe to keep your clothes in. They offer free internet access, which worked quite well. There are basically only two problems – one is the street noise (the hotel faces a street with very heavy traffic and it was hard to fall asleep with the room window open) and the other one, dim lighting (impossible to read unless you were lying in bed with a night reader lamp).

Breakfast was quite good. The breakfast room tends to get a bit crowded towards the end of breakfast time, so try to come before 9:00 to be on the safe side.

Finally, the Central coach station is right across the street from the hotel (I could actually see it from my room), so when I had to take a coach to the airport on my last day, all I had to do was to cross the road and get on my coach – no time wasted.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Booked this hotel 3 or 4 months prior to arrival on December 24 for four nights. Booked directly with the hotel. What a surprise when I arrived in the evening and found the hotel shut down for the Christmas holidays. A note on the door instructed me to go to one of their sister hotels. One would think that the hotel which had my email address would have informed me regarding this that I could have accepted the alternate hotel or cancelled and made a reservation at another hotel of my choice. Very poor management in my opinion.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank yvr1
St Petersburg
Reviewed 15 October 2010

The main advantage of this hotel is its location – 3 minutes’ walk from the Central railway station, just across the street from the Central bus station, and about 15 minutes’ walk from the Town Hall and the central square.

My single room was on the 3d floor. It was small and very basic but had all the main things – the bed, a desk, an easy chair, and a wardrobe. Despite its small size, it was quite easy to move around, so it was quite functional. The bathroom with a shower was clean, and the towels were replaced every day.

One big problem about the room, which I guess must be a general problem with all the hotel rooms, was that it was very dimly lit. It was in fact so dark that when I had to look something up in the city map, I had to go to the bathroom (where the lighting was OK) to read it – and I am not long-sighted. Another problem was that the hotel faces a busy street, and it was very noisy even with the window shut – and you could not keep it shut all the time because the hotel is not air-conditioned and the room would get stuffy quite soon if you did.

Breakfast is served in the breakfast room on the first floor. It was not outstanding but there was omelet, a selection of sausage and cheese, yoghurts, and a fruit salad – on the whole, quite sufficient. Some of the reviews here have mentioned that there was hardly enough room for all the guests in the breakfast room. All I can say is that I came to breakfast at various times – from 7:00 to 8:30 – and never saw more than 8 people there at the same time. They serve breakfast between 6:30 and 10:30, so perhaps it got busier towards 9:30 or 10:00, but then I never got a chance to check it.

The girls at the reception are nice and friendly, and if you have to leave some time after the check out hour, they can store you luggage in the storage room. The hotel has free wi-fi access, which for me is a definite advantage.

On the whole, I would recommend this hotel to those who have to travel on a budget. There are some steep steps at the entrance, so it would not be comfortable for disabled people. The area is not very nice – but then you can hardly expect it to be nice when it is so close to a railway station. All things considered, the hotel is average but acceptable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank svegor
Germany
Reviewed 11 October 2010

The only good point of this Hotel is that is only 5 minutes walk from the main train station...that means it's a Druggie and drinking area! ....however that was fine.
On arrival i was given a room where the door doesn't close properly...(it looked like it had been forced open many times...probably because above this door states emergeny exit!
I returned downstairs and asked for another room...I was then told that the door was fine(although she did not come up and see)...she then phoned her supervisor and asked if there were any rooms in any of the 7 (sister)hotels which are in a five minute radius of the Hotel....she informed me that there were no single rooms available but I could have a double room at an extra cost......I then replied no and was told that the other alternative was to sleep in the broken door room and I could be moved into another room the next day. That night I went onto the internet and found rooms available from the other hotels(ie they lied).
The next day i went down to a basic breakfast and was told that my suitcase will be moved to another room during the day. On my return i was given a key to my new room.....I went up to the new room and without using the key i opened the door.....by luck my bag had not been stolen in the room.... I phoned down to explain that someone had forgotten to lock the room, however it was by luck that my bag was not stolen. I then went to use the dvd player, however without the connecting cable to the t.v it surprisingly doesn't work....I then went down and asked if she had another cable...she looked for two seconds and said no! ...I waited to see what else she sould say, however nothing came out of her mouth...I then asked would could we do?...she then got on the phone and asked the other hotels....she managed to track a cable down and this arrived(which I was pleased about).
The next day I returned to find that the room had not been cleaned and that the towels were still on the floor., however there was now three pieces of fruit on the table.I immediately went down and asked why this had not been done....she then look at the computer and said that I had a do not disturb sign on my door!!!!!! I told her that I didn't and that if that was the case then why had someone come in and place some fruit on the table!!!!!! she had no answer......
the next day someone asked for my email as the hotel will contact me regarding these incidents...surpringly again this did not happen!
Please note that the rooms are extremely tiny,internet works when it feels like and the cleaning is minimal to say the least.....
I travel all the time throughout Germany and this is the worst Hotel that I have had the misfortune to book.
you have been warned! sorry for the long review...however everything is true!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business